• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    Sure the squirrels are no longer a problem. You will be wishing that your barrel was not all leaded up from cheap .22lr, when those Chinese paratroopers land in your backyard.

Darqhelmet

You had one job, one.
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2018
    Kaufman County
    I built my oldest a dedicated .22LR with CMMG upper. It’s been great for over a decade. I have heard that the newer Black Dog Machine mags aren’t as reliable as the older ones.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I built my oldest a dedicated .22LR with CMMG upper. It’s been great for over a decade. I have heard that the newer Black Dog Machine mags aren’t as reliable as the older ones.
    I would be willing to bet that Black Dog Machine would make it right.

Another thing BDM makes that is nice are cover for AR uppers. They attach with pins through the uppers pin lugs.

justmax

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 28, 2019
    Kingwood
    I've played with conversion kits from way back in the late 70s with mixed results. My first was a Ciener kit for my Gold Cup as I could not afford the Colt Ace kit.

As for this subject...I have no problem with the newer AR kits from CMMG. I own two, and have had at least 6 more through my hands without a problem using the right ammo. High Velocity, coated/lubed bullet.

Start with a CMMG kit. You can always buy an upper without a BCG in the future.

Txdweeb

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2022
    Temple, Tx
    If you’re looking for precision I’d get a dedicated upper, however for just plinking and working the weapon for muscle memory the Cmmg kit is wonderful for that and teaching new shooters.
    I use mine in this can opener of a carbine an it never fails I do use jacketed rounds for easier cleaning.
    1689968988562.jpeg

Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    I’m thinking I want an AR in .22 lr. Not sure if I should convert one from 5.56 or just get one made for the 22. The conversion kit (CK) allows option to switch back and forth. However it seems that accuracy suffers,plus the mags have got to be rather odd. On the other hand a dedicated .22 should have better accuracy and no chance of feeding the wrong mags

Anyone out there have experience to share?

Thanks
    I've had one of the old USAF M-16 conversion units for over 30 years. The unit is a little funky and requires thorough cleaning and frequent lubrication to function well. I'll never sell it because it is fun....no conversion unit will match the accuracy of a dedicated upper. The bore diameter of a 5.56 or 223 is slightly larger than a 22 LR bore. and the twist rate is usually way different. Coke cans at 50 feet? Sure thing! Just don't challenge the average Boy Scout to a 50 ft NRA match with his beat up grand dads .22

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    It looks like the mp15 is popular but I've read about several out of battery failures. My former boss had one that did it and ballooned a magazine. Didn't hurt the rifle or shooter but I'd reach for a modded 10/22 or the cmmg kit before ever buying an M&P 22.

10-96inTexas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2022
    Cooterville
    It looks like the mp15 is popular but I've read about several out of battery failures. My former boss had one that did it and ballooned a magazine. Didn't hurt the rifle or shooter but I'd reach for a modded 10/22 or the cmmg kit before ever buying an M&P 22.
    The only issue I found any reference to was addressed by S&W back in 2019 and resolved. thousands, if not millions, or rounds have been fired through M&P 15-22's since then with no issues to my knowledge. That is not to say that there might be a catastrophic failure in any weapon. Safety should always be first, with hearing and eye protection.

Here is a link to the S&W response to the issue.

Plinker300

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2023
    Katy
    The only issue I found any reference to was addressed by S&W back in 2019 and resolved. thousands, if not millions, or rounds have been fired through M&P 15-22's since then with no issues to my knowledge. That is not to say that there might be a catastrophic failure in any weapon. Safety should always be first, with hearing and eye protection.

Here is a link to the S&W response to the issue.

Correct, that issue has been addressed and corrected. My only concern would be an older (2019ish) rifle that hasn’t been fixed yet. Smith makes good products, I wouldn’t hesitate to own one. Except I don’t have room…

Bobk

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    Seguin
    I would go for a dedicated upper and not use a conversion kit. I had one on an AR and had to remove the front sight base due to leading. Granted conversion kits are fun.

TipBledsoe

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    LaVernia TX
    I ordered a dedicated upper, optic and 2 mags. Should be here tommorow then me and grandson will assemble it in the fall while hunting g in Montana. Thanks for all the opinions, viewpoints and advice
    Details on what you ordered please?

I too want a 22LR AR. I've been researching the options and it seems the deeper I dig, the more confused I get because there's just too much to choose from.

I've come to the belief that my preference is a dedicated upper instead of a conversion. But I want one that is nearest to mil spec - that leaves the PSA dedicated upper as the only affordable option... But the PSA website says none are available.

So now I'm considering buying a whole rifle, and it seems the only one that is most closely mil spec is the Tippmann Arms M4-22... Or building my own dedicated upper, but I'm afraid the endless options will be overwhelming.

Edit: Recommendations for dedicated upper individual components would be much appreciated because its looking like I can get an entire Tippmann Arms rifle at a better price (and have the convenience of having the entire rifle) than the price of the parts to build a dedicated upper.

Last edited:

lonestardiver

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Eagle Mountain Lake area
    As mentioned previously, the CMMG kit with the barrel, collar, and bolt is very simple. Your basic upper, put the barrel in place and tighten the barrel nut for your rail. Add your rail, put the collar on the breech end of the barrel and use your standard charging handle with the bolt assembly.

You can a go much more expensive route with other options, depending on what you want. You can also buy a built upper too.

I just wouldn’t use the conversion with the chamber insert.

Fishkiller

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 22, 2019
    Frederickburg
    Details on what you ordered please?

I too want a 22LR AR. I've been researching the options and it seems the deeper I dig, the more confused I get because there's just too much to choose from.

I've come to the belief that my preference is a dedicated upper instead of a conversion. But I want one that is nearest to mil spec - that leaves the PSA dedicated upper as the only affordable option... But the PSA website says none are available.

So now I'm considering buying a whole rifle, and it seems the only one that is most closely mil spec is the Tippmann Arms M4-22... Or building my own dedicated upper, but I'm afraid the endless options will be overwhelming.

Edit: Recommendations for dedicated upper individual components would be much appreciated because its looking like I can get an entire Tippmann Arms rifle at a better price (and have the convenience of having the entire rifle) than the price of the parts to build a dedicated upper.
    I got a dedicated upper from Bear Creek. Simple to use on any AR lower. Can’t recall the mags but think I got them from bear creek also. The other option would be a S&W M&P22. It sure about milspec on this stuff as it was not a consideration.

Top Bottom