Lynx Defense

Better off to carry with none in the chamber than not at all?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    London; All,

That's ONE reason that my "daily carry weapon" is a 6-shot S&W Model 12 "snubbie". = SIMPLE, smooth trigger-pull, QUICK to get into action, sufficiently powerful to STOP a determined aggressor, has 6 rounds of JHP "Critical defense" NON-Plus P loads & it shoots EVERY time. - I TRUST IT.
    (Btw, a Model 12 "snubbie" was my first duty revolver, when I was sworn in as a CID Special Agent.)

just my OPINION, satx
    Capitol Armory ad

Huntindoc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    Temple
    If someone is determined to not carry a round in the chamber they should carry a revolver or not at all. Otherwise it will simply be the new weapon of their attacker who took it off of their dead body.

HHH

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    look behind you
    I carry a 45 acp and do not carry in the pipe , mostly for my safety, but when i'm in the woods O hell yes and I've shot 2 pigs and a doe because its fun.....

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    One thing that kept coming to mind reading this thread is; Does no one practice operating their gun with one hand anymore??? There are a lot of ways to rack a slide, change a magazine, etc.

Way back in time when I was shooting competitively in college, that was part of just about every match. Whether it was racking with only 1 hand or reloading with 1 hand down (either strong or weak hand/arm out of action).

Have safety concerns gotten in the way of this type of training now days??

I still practice those drills with snap caps at home (I occasionally practice with the rifle that way also), but would not have an personal issue going through them on a range with live ammo.

Not all attacks are quick and violent like the 21 foot video. Some are slower developing and may require a careful measured response. I agree with a lot of you that you should be prepared for the worst case instance, however not all situations are the same and preparing for say 75% is better than not being prepared at all.

I carry a 45 acp and do not carry in the pipe , mostly for my safety, but when i'm in the woods O hell yes and I've shot 2 pigs and a doe because its fun.....

I fully support your choice. If it feels good and comfortable for you to do that, go for it. May not be good for others, but don't allow them to get on your case for it and make you go to a less desirable for you method.

Last edited:

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    One thing that kept coming to mind reading this thread is; Does no one practice operating their gun with one hand anymore??? There are a lot of ways to rack a slide, change a magazine, etc.

Way back in time when I was shooting competitively in college, that was part of just about every match. Whether it was racking with only 1 hand or reloading with 1 hand down (either strong or weak hand/arm out of action).

Have safety concerns gotten in the way of this type of training now days??

I practice strong hand only and support hand only almost every range trip. I'd say now, versus in the past, that people are actually more frequently practicing one-handed manipulations and shooting as opposed to what percentage of shooters practiced it a number of years ago. There are completely safe ways to do so, both strong or support hand only. Though, there are definitely some safety concerns people really need to take into account, and I definitely think it's wise for someone that's never done it before to be instructed by a competent instructor in doing so to start off with. Practicing one-handed manipulations, there are quite a few techniques that, if done incorrectly, could be very dangerous. That doesn't mean we shouldn't necessarily do them at all, just that extra care should be taken. When people start getting into this stuff, if they're truly honest with themselves, they'll start finding out pretty quickly whether their carry/range gear is up to par in terms of quality and durability.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Last IDPA match I shot...one stage had us stick our support side arm into a PVC pipe to isolate it. We then had to shoot from that position one handed and perform a reload one handed. It definitely got me thinking.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX

Been doing that since I started shooting semi-autos. That's why I know how cumbersome and slow it is. ;)

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Been doing that since I started shooting semi-autos. That's why I know how $#@!bersome and slow it is. ;)

Then you doing it the wrong way
    roll1.gif

DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas
    Left-Over Foolishness! (From the AmmoLand blog and how Israel got to their method)

Israeli ambulance drivers, courageously doing their best to save the injured on 7 Oct 23, are shown in a recently-released video deploying in an active combat zone and retrieving the wounded.

What follows is not intended to diminish their personal bravery.

We see one deployed driver maneuvering a gurney while simultaneously carrying a rifle.

His partner is nearby, providing security via a pistol (brand unknown). He is holding the pistol at eye level in his strong hand while pinching the rear of the slide with his left.

He obviously doesn’t already have a round chamber because he is accustomed to carrying the pistol with the chamber empty.

Yet, even now, he still has not chambered a round!

Video in blog has a number of scenes of ambulance drivers trying to save wounded.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    I understand the vast benefits of carrying with one in the chamber and drawbacks to carrying with an empty chamber.

I understand the internal safeties that guns have and what a proper holster looks like.

Say you have a friend/family member though, that just will not carry with one in the chamber, overall, generally speaking, all things being equal, are they better off not carrying at all or carrying with no round in the chamber and training to chamber a round as needed?

* This isn't about what method is better, I acknowledged which is better. This is about carrying with no round chambered vs not carrying at all.
    <?>

REVOLVER

<?>

Top Bottom