• ...and so much more!
  • SARGE67

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2021
    Texas
    Wife and me gotta go to her niece's wedding in Krum this weekend, staying in Denton with shuttle bus for many arranged to and from the venue. All the other guests made their own arrangements. Past few months I've witnessed all the hoopla of parties, showers, teas, etc and as maybe a typical guy might say, "what and why". Weddings seem to be all about the bride and her friends and relatives, it's her one day to be a princess she always dreamed about, dressed in white as the world kisses her ring. The groom is an afterthought. On that day she is declaring her reign over him as his Queen he needs to bow to. How many guys know that last part ?! A good friend at Men's Wearhouse (awesome place) said he always tells the groom and others being fitted for suits or tux, to just smile, nod, and shut up during the wedding and afterwards.
    ARJ Defense ad

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Wife and me gotta go to her niece's wedding in Krum this weekend, staying in Denton with shuttle bus for many arranged to and from the venue. All the other guests made their own arrangements. Past few months I've witnessed all the hoopla of parties, showers, teas, etc and as maybe a typical guy might say, "what and why". Weddings seem to be all about the bride and her friends and relatives, it's her one day to be a princess she always dreamed about, dressed in white as the world kisses her ring. The groom is an afterthought. On that day she is declaring her reign over him as his Queen he needs to bow to. How many guys know that last part ?! A good friend at Men's Wearhouse (awesome place) said he always tells the groom and others being fitted for suits or tux, to just smile, nod, and shut up during the wedding and afterwards.
    Granted we were poor when we got married, but we did pepperoni pizza from Little Ceasers and Schlotzkys sandwiches for food. Everyone had a great time and 14y later we are still married.

The sole focus on the bride and making bridezilla an acceptable creature to be, I think, shows the problems with modern society and is a BAD sign for the relationship.

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Yeah, depends on the woman. We had a small wedding, in a tiny little church-house in the country (that had no wedding policy - they just asked for 'a donation' and that the ceremony be at least somewhat Bible-based), reception for our 100 or so guests at the Holiday Inn, and the maid of honor catered snacks and munchies (because I can't spell "horse divorce"). We timed the reception to be between lunch and dinner so a meal wasn't expected. Nobody went into debt, we had compliments on the ceremony, and a good time was had.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    My Mother In Law made a big mess out of our wedding. Worse yet was my cheap ass Father In Law did not pick up the expense. He choose to have my wife pay for their vanity. The cheap ass in-law decided they would go out to dinner were we had planned to get married. Funny thing was we were not invited. My dad went as he was my best man. He said the wife after had buy on get one free coupons that he handed out at the dinner. When I get to hell & the devil manis me the reins my father in law will be so phuced.

SARGE67

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2021
    Texas
    My first was what one calls a normal church wedding. She was 18 and wanting away from parents, I was just back from 'Nam as combat Marine age 21 and more confused than I realized at that time. The VA later helped me realize that even today. It lasted maybe a year, all cards stacked against us but we didn't know it then. Years later we reconnected on social media, had our laughs and glad our lives turned ok. My second was a quickie visit to Durant for a license, found a used car salesman advertising in the courthouse, got hitched, drove back home with a stop at a Bonanza for a cheap steak, then I went to work that night on my 11-7 shift. Lasted 32 years and was ok at first then pure hell as any human could describe it. Didn't last and met my present wife of 20 years at local VFW playing Bingo, neither of us looking for anyone. There is definitely someone for someone and we found it. We're different as rain and day, big time yet it works !!.

Fishkiller

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 22, 2019
    Frederickburg
    I have been to the no frills wedding and the over the top. Both had redeeming qualities. The food and booze at the latter was great. The no frills was cake and punch in the church basement, no bridezilla and those two are still married after 45+ years. Our wedding was a $2,000 .affair at the church and reception at the Marriott in North Dallas, that was 43 years ago. It all comes down to what the bride and groom want to have, and in some cases the parent's. I have three weddings to attend in the next 9 months, two nieces and my daughter. Wegave out daughter her dowry and they decide how to spend it. I think her fiancé wants a big affair.

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    Las Vegas at the little white Chaple.
    30 people showed up totally un expected or planned. It was the best and cheapest wedding/get together ever.
    Large reception at mom in laws place couple days later. 37 years ago

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1655310453953.jpg
      FB_IMG_1655310453953.jpg
      63.1 KB · Views: 48

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    My wedding was a pretty big event. Lots of money spent, lots of friends and family present, good times were had. The way I looked at it, if it was important enough for me to agree to be married, and it was important enough of a day for her to want to do it up big, then we'll do it up big. I would have much preferred to do a simple destination wedding somewhere, and ironically years later my wife now agrees, but the long and short is we both enjoyed the day. She probably would have enjoyed it more if she didn't feel so rushed. With a bigger guest list comes a larger number of people all wanting to share a moment. The after wedding part where a much smaller group went to a pool hall, her still in her big ol' gown, was a total blast.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2023
    Houston
    Our wedding was stunning and cost a fortune. Her dad paid for everything, and since her parents were giving away their only daughter, she was the star. I kept a low profile and let her shine. Every day since, she lets me shine. She's a damn good woman, and a great mom. The "smile, nod, and shut up during the wedding and afterwards" advice is spot on, but easily misinterpreted. I did the opposite in my first marriage - not recommended.

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It is what it is. Can't shit on folks because you don't understand them. It's what makes the world go around.

My wife and I married in her parent's backyard. Her mom married us. Small venue. Had BBQ catered. Honeymoon at a nice hotel downtown Dallas. We would elope if we had to do over.

I really don't understand the big expensive weddings for young new couples. All that money would be better spent on a dream/honeymoon destination or a down payment on a new home. But hey, if money isn't an issue...

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    One of my 5 sisters yeah I said 5 anyway she and her husband do wedding events and photo booths. He is a DJ/ Entertainment/ Lighting professional.
    I've seen short vids and pics of what they do and people will spend up to a hundred thousand on such.
    Can be quite a grand event for the couple and all of the guests.

Last edited:

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I think its become a bit of a status symbol to have the big wedding with all the bells and whistles.

My sister in law had a $40K wedding in the 90's. My fiance's kids weddings have been under $10K with the venue thing. Family pitched in an did most of the work. Venue was by far the most expensive part.

Ours was a church wedding, reception at her parents house (had a big house). Fairly inexpensive.

My kids have had one elope, one backyard wedding, one beach wedding, three church weddings.

OutlawStar

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    Anna
    Maybe its because i'm a cheapskate but I think that money is better spent on a house or other future goals like a kids college fund, getting out of debt, or whatever else. I've got some kinda low-income cousins that did a back yard wedding and their best photo was in front of a portajohn they didn't bother to photoshop out when they sent their celebratory cards. Whatever, be marry, be married, be happy. Who cares about a 1 day party.

Hey if you're going to be in Krum check out "The Bore and Barrel" gun store. My buddy runs it. Its very small and has a little antique militaria room. Might find an oddity to look at if you have the time.

Top Bottom