• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DPMS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2013
    Picked up a RIA 1911 the other day, wasnt really my first choice but I love 1911's so I got it. It is my only pistol so it will be my cc choice. Anyone cc a gun this big? I guess the best way to carry would be one in the chamber hammer back safety on as opposed to one in the chamber hammer down?

It's big and bulky for sure and I will eventually get a compact glock or something to cc but for now this is what I have.
    DK Firearms

DPMS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2013
    ^ You trying to say yours is bigger than mine? lol

What about hammer back or not?

arordonez84

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    San Antonio
    I carry an ATI Light weight double stacked Fatboy it has a 3.1" barrel I am 5"10 about 240 the only problem i had was when I carry my full size was the mag well would stick out. I carry my compact inside the pants at 4 oclock fullsize I carry at 5 or 6 thats what is comfortable for me. ATIFatboyLightweight3.jpg

Big Phil

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    SATX
    I've carried a full size 1911 with no problem. I carry 1 in the pipe, hammer back, safety on. It's something you get used to.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    ^ You trying to say yours is bigger than mine? lol

What about hammer back or not?

Longer, thicker and I can go more than twice as long LOL.
    showoff.gif

5.3 inch barrel, 1.58 inches wide, and 16 rounds ready to go.

Since mine is a double action with a hammer drop safety, I carry one in the pipe, hammer down, safety off. I practice that way so I can easily draw and press the double action trigger and break off the first round accurately.

Last edited:

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I carry a full sized 1911 all of the time. Condition one is the only way to go. It is a safety violation, IMO, to press the trigger to lower the hammer with your thumb.

DPMS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2013
    I got it. I used to carry my Glock like that. Round chambered but they obviously dont have an external safety. I have only carried the 1911 for a day now and didnt put one in the chamber because I dont have much experience with it yet. I want to get comfortable with it first.

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    I got it. I used to carry my Glock like that. Round chambered but they obviously dont have an external safety. I have only carried the 1911 for a day now and didnt put one in the chamber because I dont have much experience with it yet. I want to get comfortable with it first
    good call

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    As mentioned, a good belt will make all the difference in the world. If you can get one with an internal stiffener, you'll have trouble carrying on any other kind of belt in the future.

Top Bottom