• ...and so much more!
  • kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    The one's I know of that were worried about cocked and locked just didn't authorize the 1911 to be carried and there were allot of them. Some other dept's required you qualify at a minimum of expert to carry the 1911 when scores were still recorded. For a few of us it was a "badge of honor" to carry the 1911 and was "proof" you were more than just a fair hand with the slab-sided pistol. Of course one of my early teachers of pistol-craft was a graduate of Gunsite and a follower of Jeff Cooper. Another man I learned allot from was a Deputy of Sheriff Buford Pusser/Walking Tall fame.
    man!!! what was he like much man right there!!!!
    Target Sports

Lady Blue

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    Denton County
    Im 5'4" and 135 pounds and I can carry a full size 1911 concealed. As was mentioned before a good belt and holster help tremendously, especially the belt. Also dress around the gun. I carry OWB at about 430 or so using a Tucker HF-1 and a Tucker Latigo belt. All of Tuckers products are hand made in Houston and they do take a while to get and they are not cheap but they are worth every penny.

As for carrying C-1 I have carried this way every day for a dozen years in a duty holster and concealed and have yet to see the safety disengage by accident. The best way to build confidence in C-1 is to carry an empty 1911 around the house all day as you go about your normal routine. Once you become secure in the fact that it is safe you can add ammo.

Last edited:

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    I asked here because I knew what I'd get - factual answers rather than the chest-beating and insults I'd get on other forums. You guys never fail to deliver.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Im 5'4" and 135 pounds and I can carry a full size 1911 concealed. As was mentioned before a good belt and holster help tremendously, especially the belt. Also dress around the gun. I carry OWB at about 430 or so using a Tucker HF-1 and a Tucker Latigo belt. All of Tuckers products are hand made in Houston and they do take a while to get and they are not cheap but they are worth every penny.

As for carrying C-1 I have carried this way every day for a dozen years in a duty holster and concealed and have yet to see the safety disengage by accident. The best way to build confidence in C-1 is to carry an empty 1911 around the house all day as you go about your normal routine. Once you become secure in the fact that it is safe you can add ammo.

When I carried a 1911 (Condition 1) with an ambi safety, I often bumped into things, disengaging the safety (Condition 0). Not a huge deal as it was secure in the holster, but I made a habit of checking it periodically. I'd probably go non-ambi if I went back to carrying a 1911, though.

duns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Houston
    I occasionally carry a Colt 1911 government model in an OWB holster when wearing a tee shirt with a long loose outer shirt.

I carry it condition 1 - cocked and locked. Safety has never accidentally disengaged. So I see this as a very safe way to carry and the gun is ready for use by sweeping off the safety while drawing, which is quick and easy with a little practice. I don't like condition 2 because of the risk of an AD when lowering the hammer and because of the extra time to ready the pistol when it is needed for self defense.

Not sure about this but - taking into account that my 1911 is not drop safe - would it not be marginally safer with the hammer back and the safety on than with the hammer down on a live round and the safety off?

Last edited:

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    When I carried a 1911 (Condition 1) with an ambi safety, I often bumped into things, disengaging the safety (Condition 0). Not a huge deal as it was secure in the holster, but I made a habit of checking it periodically. I'd probably go non-ambi if I went back to carrying a 1911, though.

i check mine all the time no big deal(out a habit) mine stays locked

Top Bottom