Texas SOT

Driving from Texas to New Jersey next week. What do I do with my gun?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ausländer

Yak Shaving
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2022
    New Braunfels

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Yep texas tags will get scrutiny especially on the drug corridors.

Leave it home.

Better yet don't go.

Let me add you will goto jail immediately for the gun mag and ammo if HP. Each piece and round a different count. So 17 round mag will get you 19 seperate charges.

And I say agai your texas plates will get you pulled over and they will find a way to search the car.

Last edited:

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    I did a lot of work in NJ back in my pipeline days. DO NOT TAKE A GUN OR AMMO INTO NJ. That's my humble advice. They are worse than you may have heard about enforcement. Texas license plates? You'll be treated like Bin Laden is driving the car.

I lived for a few years in NY, which is not as bad as NJ. While I lived there, a guy was pulled over on the road near my house. He was arrested for carrying a concealed weapon - in this case a softball bat in his back seat. He was driving home from a softball game. You hear stories about how bad things are in the northeast, but you have no idea how bad it can be until you spend some time there. You're more likely to get a break from a cop in Baghdad.

Back in the 1980's I went into Trenton to meet with a government agency about a natural gas compressor station my company proposed to build in the northern part of the state. I had a couple of mailing tubes with me that had the drawings and maps rolled inside them. I met with the agency and they were incredibly uncooperative. On my way out, I stopped at a row of payphone booths along a wall in the lobby. I called my boss back in Houston and angrily described the frustrating meeting. We hung up and I stepped out of the phone booth to be greeted by 20 New Jersey state patrolmen. 20 ANGRY looking state cops. They searched me and the tubes, then told me I should leave not only the building but the state. I complied with great alacrity. I'm not kidding when I say I had nightmares for years that I'd travel to NJ and they wouldn't let me leave.

striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    I shot silhouettes in NY had no problems going into NJ with my guns although that was in the 80's. People from NJ couldn't bring guns into NY. Could be different today.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    NJ is horrendous when it comes to carrying firearms.NJ cops are notorious for pulling over cars with out of state plates to look for guns based upon zilch. If they pull you over, they will question you, then they may search your vehicle on either real probable cause or on made up probable cause. My experience is that some state, county & local LE officers in NJ lie through their pie holes with great frequency when it comes to such things. Even when you are stopped by one who is truthful, he or she will do all they can to try to nail you especially if they suspect you have a gun. It would not be worth the tens of thousands of dollars you would need to spend to fight your case in court if you are arrested there with a firearm. Note, I never said with a handgun - I said gun(s) or firearm because they do not care if it is a long gun or handgun - if you have one or more, and NJ is your destination, they will try to nail you.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    I shot silhouettes in NY had no problems going into NJ with my guns although that was in the 80's. People from NJ couldn't bring guns into NY. Could be different today.

I hate to point it out, but the 80s was four decades ago. It's different now, in a very totalitarian way. You would be very unlikely to have "no problems" passing through NJ with a firearm today. Multiple firearms? They'll treat you like some kind of illegal arms dealer.

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    I will not visit any of the left wing states - CA, OR, NJ (not that I had any desire to go to NJ anyway), etc.

Pretty scenery in some of those states, but I have seen it before.
    I just go around the libtard states and places like libtard Austin. Takes longer sometimes but that's why I take road trips.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I saw a video that the NJ HP can run your TX plate and tell if you have a LTC..thru will light you up and pull you over just because they can and it's a gun charge last time I read about it unless something has changed

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I saw a video that the NJ HP can run your TX plate and tell if you have a LTC..thru will light you up and pull you over just because they can and it's a gun charge last time I read about it unless something has changed
    @msharley did type something funny?
    I'm serious as cancer

msharley

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2021
    Central Pennsylvania
    INSTANT FELONY! Same as New Yorkiztan, Mass achootzi ztan....

Your plate divulges if you are a firearm enthusiast...

The commies take every advantage of it...

Have worked in all three of those commy ztans over the years....

Average? Every 10 days would be pulled over (Pa LTC)....Very first question (as I'm looking down the barrels of two guns) "WHERE IS YOUR GUN?!"

Then? Everything tossed out of the car into the berm of the road...

I say? pock 'em in their penis scarred anuses......

Do not take a gun or ammo (search your car good...and they have planted ammo on fellows)....

Cash? Take a minimum.

Tennessee is big into the "cash forfeiture" thing....As are some other states...

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    I lived in NJ before for a few years. They have cops around every corner. Imo youd be tempting fate by bringing any type of firearm into that state. Certain areas and their LEOs are alright but urban areas are mostly shitholes controlled by commies

Best bet is to leave it at home. If you di bring it into nj id make sure it is locked in a case and stowed in the truck. I would not bring JHPs and I would not have any loaded mags even if they are in a separate locked case

Make sure you get some pizza. That and the weather are the only things that NJ has going for it

Top Bottom