• Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Your asking how the mans family members could possibly contract it if it weren't airborne.....living in the same house?

I couldn't say how he contracted it in the first place. I don't know what he was doing. Could have got it from a hooker for all I know.
    Gun Zone Deals

JohnnyLoco

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Texas
    Unless old boy is coughing blood at you, it's probably not too risky.

It has been found in semen for up to 70 or so days after recovery, so what out for that.

Something leads me to believe you yourself would not bet your life, or your family's lives, on this little nugget of wisdom.

JohnnyLoco

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Texas
    Your asking how the mans family members could possibly contract it if it weren't airborne.....living in the same house?

I couldn't say how he contracted it in the first place. I don't know what he was doing. Could have got it from a hooker for all I know.

No, I'm just disputing this crap that it is hard to contract. Common sense says that it is not. This isn't HIV or simply an STD.

Also the very dismissive attitude from folks here is taking me back a bit.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    From what was posted there is a community of a few thousand of them living in Dallas and in very crowded conditions. Trying to find out if that is true.

News says he was throwing up all over the place outside of his apartment as the ambulance came to get him. Didn't say what apartment complex, but it's not like 100 of them were packed into a house. Of course who knows how well (if) the vomit was cleaned up and disinfected properly since this happened before the diagnosis.

But it's stupid because Ebola is only spread by body fluids. Don't touch people's body fluids and you'll be cool.

Sounds simple doesn't it? Makes you wonder why it's spreading like it is now that it's been identified.

I did research and wrote a couple of papers several years on weaponizing VHF's, viral hemorrhagic fevers including Ebola, for a Masters degree.

Don't buy into the media hype. It is very difficult to contract Ebola without direct contact of infected body fluids. It is not airborne transmissible.

Wash your hands, stay away from sick people in suspect groups (and they do look sick), carry on and stay calm.

I keep hearing this, and won't argue with you, but if it's really that easy, how did this guy end up with it? How do so many others end up with it? Including the doctors treating it who are supposed to know better?

And how sick do they look? The reason we're not ready to trust the experts is because they had the guy come in to the hospital, followed procedures and asked if he had been to an Ebola infected region, was told he had just returned...(and we have to infer that he had contact with bodily fluids from an Ebola victim which he had no reason to hide at this point)...yet the experts didn't follow their own procedures and even bother to clue everyone in that this might be a high risk case. They also sent him on his way with some pills even though all the warning bells should have been ringing according to the experts who say we have nothing to worry about.

Not saying you're wrong, just pointing out some inconsistencies we're hearing from the level headed, non-media side of the story.

TXAZ

:)
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 14, 2014
    South of the Red, North of the Gulf
    Did you research this particular strain of Ebola?

I'm no expert, and I am not saying it is airborne. Neither am I panicking. All I know is this guy caught it somehow. It does spread. Potentially one of his family members has it.

How are these people getting it if it is so hard to contract? Just answer that question for me. The scenario y'all are describing of just going around and touching people's fluids or putting your face right up against someone while they cough or sneeze blood just doesn't sound realistic, even for Africans.

To your first question I researched the weaponization of Ebola and the other nasty VHF's in general (we don't know what this specific strain is yet, at least publicly) , looking for ways a terrorist organization might take advantage of their bio, amplification (growing more) and dissemination characteristics. The basics are, if they aren't easily transmitted before you weaponize, they likely won't be afterwards. And that's not amplifying the virus and filling syringes with it. Further Ebola in specific is a pretty fragile virus, easily destroyed in the wild, and generally responds to therapy if caught early.

As to your question on 'how this guy got it'. Answer is we don't precisely know or CDC hasn't released any finding they have. And we know nothing about the victim's culture or activities in Liberia.

A major reason for the spread of Ebola and other serious contagions in Africa is cultural: Personal sanitation is difficult if not dismissed, as many latrines have no hand washing facilities or are not used. Further, ancient rituals and practices include family members washing the body of the recently departed by hand, with no barriers, and kissing corpses.
    Some specific diseases are believed to have "cures" that range from having sex with a virgin to take STD's away to, charms, incantations, and the casting of spells as treatments. So no,I don't know the transmission event, but know culturally it is more likely to contract VHF's in West Africa than West Dallas.

If a knowledgable bad guy wanted to raise havoc with bioterrorism, they likely would choose something other than Ebola.

Wash your hands often, stay away from sick people, remain calm and carry on. (And quit watching that CNN inspired Ebola shock value crap)

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    No, I'm just disputing this crap that it is hard to contract. Common sense says that it is not. This isn't HIV or simply an STD.

Also the very dismissive attitude from folks here is taking me back a bit.

No, I'm disputing the fact that it's an airborne super virus.

Compared to many illnesses, this is not anywhere near the top of the list of "easily contracted.

In fact, it would be much easier to avoid catching than the flu.

Would I bet my families life on a guy coughing, no. Because it he has bleeding gums or something it wouldn't matter. The risk is low, but not impossible.

You are not gonna get Ebola because you walk through a room where there is another person infected with Ebola unless you come in contact with his bodily fluids.

Recoil45

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2014
    The Ivy Apartments is the name of the place he was living.

Before he left his country he helped carry a very sick person to the hospital. The girl he helped died the next day.

All just reported on the Fox evening news.

JohnnyLoco

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Texas
    No, I'm disputing the fact that it's an airborne super virus.

Compared to many illnesses, this is not anywhere near the top of the list of "easily contracted.

In fact, it would be much easier to avoid catching than the flu.

Would I bet my families life on a guy coughing, no. Because it he has bleeding gums or something it wouldn't matter. The risk is low, but not impossible.

You are not gonna get Ebola because you walk through a room where there is another person infected with Ebola unless you come in contact with his bodily fluids.

I don't recall anyone saying this was an "airborne super virus" or something like the black death. I think the flu comparisons are kind of ridiculous. Sure the flu is more contagious, we get that. It also is not nearly as fatal as Ebola, and certainly not as horrific in the later stages.

I'm not sure I get all the comparisons YG. So a is not as bad as b, so a is not that bad, nothing to worry about. Well a is pretty freaking bad regardless of how much worse b is.

It only takes one exposed person who is not connected to this guy for Ebola to spread. This guy knew he might have Ebola, which is why he went to the hospital. The next person who does not know he might be infected by Ebola will probably not go to the hospital and will spread that shit all around.

As much as you might think hand washing and sanitation helps, it really doesn't do a damn thing outside of the clinical setting, especially when a symptomatic person is out and about in public. You can't wash your hands every minute, stuff gets through.

JohnnyLoco

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Texas
    To your first question I researched the weaponization of Ebola and the other nasty VHF's in general (we don't know what this specific strain is yet, at least publicly) , looking for ways a terrorist organization might take advantage of their bio, amplification (growing more) and dissemination characteristics. The basics are, if they aren't easily transmitted before you weaponize, they likely won't be afterwards. And that's not amplifying the virus and filling syringes with it. Further Ebola in specific is a pretty fragile virus, easily destroyed in the wild, and generally responds to therapy if caught early.

As to your question on 'how this guy got it'. Answer is we don't precisely know or CDC hasn't released any finding they have. And we know nothing about the victim's culture or activities in Liberia.

A major reason for the spread of Ebola and other serious contagions in Africa is cultural: Personal sanitation is difficult if not dismissed, as many latrines have no hand washing facilities or are not used. Further, ancient rituals and practices include family members washing the body of the recently departed by hand, with no barriers, and kissing corpses.
    Some specific diseases are believed to have "cures" that range from having sex with a virgin to take STD's away to, charms, incantations, and the casting of spells as treatments. So no,I don't know the transmission event, but know culturally it is more likely to contract VHF's in West Africa than West Dallas.

If a knowledgable bad guy wanted to raise havoc with bioterrorism, they likely would choose something other than Ebola.

Wash your hands often, stay away from sick people, remain calm and carry on. (And quit watching that CNN inspired Ebola shock value crap)

Your whole point presupposes that people are aware that Ebola infected individuals could be around. Then yes, frequent hand washing and other precautions can help. The problem is people are being told that there is "no chance" Ebola can spread. So, one unconnected person who is infected by the original guy and doesn't know it and gets sick, he is out in public and they are none the wiser. You can't wash your hands a million times a day or avoid some kind of incidental contact with people if you are out in public. It will spread around. It might even be worse than Africa because people are in denial here.

JohnnyLoco

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Texas
    Man, just saw that jackass Perry again on FNC. Talking about how great it is that Ebola came to the Dallas hospital, how great the technology is there and the medial infrastructure, how Ebola doesn't stand a chance here is the U.S., how he supports Obama sending the Army to West Africa and how we can help in a humanitarian way. Nothing bad to say about Obama at all.

Freakin puppet.

Perry is following the script now. He'll probably be the Republican nominee.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    You can't wash your hands a million times a day or avoid some kind of incidental contact with people if you are out in public.
    So get a travel size hand sanitizer to keep in your pocket and don't touch your face or other orifices (stop playing with it!) unless you've just washed your hands or used the sanitizer. This is the sort of thing you should be doing during flu season anyways. I'm not being dismissive of the threat; I am approaching it rationally. Of course there's not "no chance" of you getting it, but the likely hood is incredibly small if you follow basic precautions.

Man, just saw that jackass Perry again on FNC.
    You'll feel better if you just stop paying attention to politicians. They don't know shit about anything other than how to pander for votes.

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Man, just saw that jackass Perry again on FNC. Talking about how great it is that Ebola came to the Dallas hospital, how great the technology is there and the medial infrastructure, how Ebola doesn't stand a chance here is the U.S., how he supports Obama sending the Army to West Africa and how we can help in a humanitarian way. Nothing bad to say about Obama at all.

Freakin puppet.

Perry is following the script now. He'll probably be the Republican nominee.

Freakin' liar.

I saw the same news clip, he never said that it was "great that Ebola came to the Dallas hospital".

He stated that IF someone came down with Ebola, then Texas is one of only 16 states equipped and trained to deal with Ebola. The victim was lucky to be here with the required support nearby.

Y'know, you might have a little more credibility if you used a little less hubris and hyperbole and actually reported the facts for once.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    From another Forum I frequent....

"More than 80 people in Dallas are being monitored for symptoms of Ebola after coming into contact with patient Thomas Eric Duncan or others who Duncan had met, health officials said.
    The people have been asked to report to Texas health officials or the U.S. Centers for Disease Control if they show signs of the disease, Erikka Neroes, a spokeswoman for Dallas County Health and Human Services, said by telephone. Officials ordered four of Duncan’s family members to remain at home until at least Oct. 19 and not have any visitors to prevent the potential spread of the virus.
    Duncan had close contact with 12 to 18 people, officials have said. So far no one under monitoring has shown any Ebola symptoms, according to Neroes."

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Workplace-Virus.jpg

Top Bottom