• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Davetex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Greers Ferry Lake
    I'm thinking it won't get to -40F in Travis County, so I'm good there, and if it does get up to +122F I'm dead anyway. I'll worry about other things.
    Venture Surplus ad

Blind Sniper

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2013
    Bay City, MI
    Did some checking, and there are only a handful of states that even semi-regularly reach the trouble temps range. Don't think civvies have much to worry about here, but still.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    All RDS can have issues.

That's why I absolute co-witness fixed irons w the red dot (on rifles that matter). You'd know right away if zero was off. And if it stops working there's nothing to flip or move or change your grip.

Since I'm really relying on irons I just go with Primary Arms and save $ for ammo.

Just my two cents.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Does anyone know what kind of temperature shifts could cause problems, or have any detailed info on the actual problem?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
    The quoted section below is part of this report posted earlier by MMM, (for those who missed it).
    http://soldiersystems.net/2015/11/25...-paul-mangano/
    "By early 2007, Defendants knew of a separate performance failure in cold temperature. Beginning around 32 degrees Fahrenheit, the sights’ aiming dot became significantly distorted, affecting the accuracy of the sight and worsening as the temperature approached -40 degrees. At sub-zero temperatures, the distortion of the aiming dot affected the accuracy of the sights by more than 20 inches for every 100 yards. EOTech delayed disclosing the defect for more than a year, and until it had a fix in place. Even then, EOTech presented its fix to DoD as an upgrade to a quality product that already conformed to specifications."

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    OK, I have a plain 512 that I bought 18 months ago. I have sent in a RA request.
    If they take it back and give me a refund, which Aimpoint should I look at, taking into consideration, I really like the 512 design, and sight picture?

I am not familiar at all with the Aimpoint line.

Jon Payne

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Third Coast
    The Aimpoint PRO is similar in size and price point to the Eotech, but has much better battery life, is night vision compatible, and has it's own QD mount.

OK, I have a plain 512 that I bought 18 months ago. I have sent in a RA request.
    If they take it back and give me a refund, which Aimpoint should I look at, taking into consideration, I really like the 512 design, and sight picture?

I am not familiar at all with the Aimpoint line.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    The Aimpoint PRO is similar in size and price point to the Eotech, but has much better battery life, is night vision compatible, and has it's own QD mount.

ok I saw the Patrolman which is close and has flip up end caps and the improved mount design.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Sent mine in this morning
    Got a reply after lunch
    Had to send in receipt
    They said it wasn't required just helps
    Should hear back tomorrow

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Sounds like they are being good about it at least.

yep, very nice about it. They need your model and serial number and some info off of the tag on the bottom of the unit also.

I wonder what they will do with all of the units they buy back? Think of it, they are paying for the full retail price, not the wholesale price they sold it for.

RACER X

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2013
    Richmond/Houston
    Wonder how long a refund will take? Hate to be w/o a sight for months

XPS 2.0

sent from the batcloset in the batcave on the batphone

Last edited:

zackmars

Novice Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Vickers reported that an EOTECH sight failed during one of his carbine classes in North Carolina back in February of this year. He added that Aimpoint was the ONLY red dot to use...

he is sponsored by aimpoint.

take his suggestions for what they are, sales pitches

Top Bottom