TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    Hey all,

Recently moved to central Texas from Eastern Canada - good riddance
    Any suggestions for good shops anywhere between Austin/San Antonio?
    Still waiting to get in to DPS to get my TX DL, but would like to browse in the meantime
    It will likely take some time to get an appointment at DPS. I made a 4 hour drive each way rather than wait several months. My wife didn't want the long drive and took several months to obtain her TX DL. If you don't have the required documents (originals, not copies) another appointment will be necessary.

CanuckOperator

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2023
    Austin, TX
    It will likely take some time to get an appointment at DPS. I made a 4 hour drive each way rather than wait several months. My wife didn't want the long drive and took several months to obtain her TX DL. If you don't have the required documents (originals, not copies) another appointment will be necessary.
    Booked in October for Jan 2nd, wild to me that it takes so long, only real reason I want it ASAP is to buy some guns

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Time frames seem to vary wildly by location. At my local DPS location the last two times I needed an appointment I was able to get one the next day. I hear that in some locations, that's unheard of.

CanuckOperator

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2023
    Austin, TX
    Time frames seem to vary wildly by location. At my local DPS location the last two times I needed an appointment I was able to get one the next day. I hear that in some locations, that's unheard of.
    Work is just about next to an office, so going to try my luck going in first thing every morning for a while to try for a same day appointment

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Work is just about next to an office, so going to try my luck going in first thing every morning for a while to try for a same day appointment
    If your location operates the same as mine, arrive very early and you'll get to stand in line outside the entrance door. Sitting in your warm car won't be an option.

Also at my location they send out a couple of employees before opening to organize the chaos. They'll establish the line for same-day appointments and once enough people get in that line, they'll walk down the line to a certain point and announce "The people in line behind me are probably going to be seen today. You guys in this area... you're chances are iffy. And y'all standing back there? You might as well leave; there's no chance of getting a same-day."

Then again, my local DPS (It's one of those huge "super centers" I think they're called.) seems to have its ducks in a row far better than any other location I've ever visited.

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    That's the reason I drove from Savannah to Sweetwater to obtain a DL. When I closed on home in March, I made an appointment at Plano DPS for end of June. The Sweetwater location only had one other customer.

Fishkiller

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 22, 2019
    Frederickburg
    When I got here to the Big Town wife and I went over the Courthouse Annex and took our test in the basement office. No appointment needed we just walked in and was the only ones. Of course that was in 2016 so conditions may have changed, but I believe it is close to the same thing still, unless a driving test is needed then it is a long wait.

Oh and Willkommen

ETA: The DPS office is in the same place. Since there are no driving tests wait time is almost non-existent. Johnson City is probably the same. Fburg is about 1 3/2 hour drive from Austin and JC about 1 hour.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom