• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DaBull

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 19, 2021
    San Antonio, TX
    When I got to San Antonio, I had a long wait to get my DL at a Bexar County DPS. So I went next door to Guadalupe County and got right in. They told me I could only do renewals and other business outside of my county, but my very FIRST DL had to be obtained from a DPS in my county.

I tried to wait outside my nearest DPS an hour before it opened, and was the second person in the door, but after waiting 2 hours to be seen, I asked a worker how much longer and she said that I am only seen if someone with an appt does not show up and the worker who is freed up is not behind schedule. In other words, I might not be seen at all that day.

So, I went online and tried to book an appointment for THAT day, and one popped up across town. I had 45 min to get there and if I didn't show by 60 min, they would give my appt away. Luckily I made it.

cbp210

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Humble, TX
    Hey all,

Recently moved to central Texas from Eastern Canada - good riddance
    Any suggestions for good shops anywhere between Austin/San Antonio?
    Still waiting to get in to DPS to get my TX DL, but would like to browse in the meantime
    Awesome. I deal with Canadians everyday at my job. Are you here as Lawful Permanent resident?

GaryS

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 4, 2016
    Hiding among the Hippos
    My wife and I live in Williamson County, but we went to New Braunfels to get out DLs. The tip to go there came from a nice young lady in the Georgetown tax collectors office. She told me that anything within about an hour of Williamson or Travis County was booked into next year.

I made appointments for both of us for yesterday and we took a nice drive down to New Braunfels. They took us in early and before 11:00AM we both had our temporary DLs.

No one at the DPS license office said anything about us not living in Comal County.

I'll worry about renewal in eight years.

When I got to San Antonio, I had a long wait to get my DL at a Bexar County DPS. So I went next door to Guadalupe County and got right in. They told me I could only do renewals and other business outside of my county, but my very FIRST DL had to be obtained from a DPS in my county.

I tried to wait outside my nearest DPS an hour before it opened, and was the second person in the door, but after waiting 2 hours to be seen, I asked a worker how much longer and she said that I am only seen if someone with an appt does not show up and the worker who is freed up is not behind schedule. In other words, I might not be seen at all that day.

So, I went online and tried to book an appointment for THAT day, and one popped up across town. I had 45 min to get there and if I didn't show by 60 min, they would give my appt away. Luckily I made it.

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    Had same day service in Tyler County in 2022.

Seems strange that a state agency would have different procedures depending on the county. Longer waits re more demand, sure. Not complaining, just odd imo.

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    Hey all,

Still waiting to get in to DPS to get my TX DL, but would like to browse in the meantime
    Welcome to the forum.
    Spent a decade in Canada, m'self.

TeeJay

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2015
    Hey all,

Hey all,

I miss the good ol days when you showed up at the crack of dawn and stood in line at the DPS to get a number and then wait...............lol

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Welcome! Had a great aunt that lived in Montreal. She HATED the French. Tried to buy shoes in a store once and although she spoke French fluently, she wanted to do the transaction in English. They said they wouldn't sell her the shoes unless she spoke in French - so she threw the shoes at them and walked out.

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    Hey all,

Did you choose Texas to get as far from communism as possible, the weather or for another reason? Once the obstacles like DPS are completed this is an excellent place to enjoy life.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Busy rookies
    Top Bottom