• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DaBull

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 19, 2021
    San Antonio, TX
    One (perhaps the only) downside to a gun lover moving from Canada to the US is Canada was still receiving Norinco 1911s and SKSs after the US banned their import...unless Trudeau took care of that recently...
    DK Firearms

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    East Canada, eh? Y'know this is how many will immediately picture you...

1702044676699.png

Kidding aside, welcome to Texas! As many have suggested, find a rural DPS office to get your license. There are many in the Austin-San Antonio are depending on where you are. If you're closer to the latter, take a day trip out to Kerrville or even Castroville. Call first, but most likely you'll be able to walk in.

I'm in SA and I avoid all the big DPS offices in the area, you'll spend less time driving an hour or two out than waiting at them!

kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    As many have suggested, find a rural DPS office to get your license. There are many in the Austin-San Antonio are depending on where you are. If you're closer to the latter, take a day trip out to Kerrville or even Castroville. Call first, but most likely you'll be able to walk in.

I'm in SA and I avoid all the big DPS offices in the area, you'll spend less time driving an hour or two out than waiting at them!
    Boerne office was not bad...might try there.

ETA - fair warning: has been four years.

GaryS

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 4, 2016
    Hiding among the Hippos
    A friend grew up on PEI. Her dad was a crusty old Irishman who never held back. One day while he was visiting her down in MA someone said something about Quebec.

His reply was, "They ain't Canadians, they're G-d D-mned Quebecers!"

I still laugh at the memory 30 years later.

Welcome! Had a great aunt that lived in Montreal. She HATED the French. Tried to buy shoes in a store once and although she spoke French fluently, she wanted to do the transaction in English. They said they wouldn't sell her the shoes unless she spoke in French - so she threw the shoes at them and walked out.

GaryS

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 4, 2016
    Hiding among the Hippos
    All of the above .Neither the registration process nor getting DLs was particularly difficult. The various web sites spell it out pretty clearly. Even the property tax exemption process is pretty simple.

The hardest part might be finding a new doctor, dentist, and eye doctor.

Did you choose Texas to get as far from communism as possible, the weather or for another reason? Once the obstacles like DPS are completed this is an excellent place to enjoy life.

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    All of the above .Neither the registration process nor getting DLs was particularly difficult. The various web sites spell it out pretty clearly. Even the property tax exemption process is pretty simple.

The hardest part might be finding a new doctor, dentist, and eye doctor.
    After a bad experience with a doctor who 'practices medicine" locally, my wife and I are still using our primary care and cardiologist from our previous state.

CanuckOperator

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2023
    Austin, TX
    Welcome! Had a great aunt that lived in Montreal. She HATED the French. Tried to buy shoes in a store once and although she spoke French fluently, she wanted to do the transaction in English. They said they wouldn't sell her the shoes unless she spoke in French - so she threw the shoes at them and walked out.
    Lived in Montreal for a year for work, don't speak a word of French, was an interesting time to say the least

CanuckOperator

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2023
    Austin, TX
    Did you choose Texas to get as far from communism as possible, the weather or for another reason? Once the obstacles like DPS are completed this is an excellent place to enjoy life.
    Work brought me here, Engineering with Tesla, but I've had my sights on Texas for close to a year waiting for an excuse to move here. Loving everything about it so far - other than the paperwork side of things.
    No plans to ever leave now

CanuckOperator

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2023
    Austin, TX
    East Canada, eh? Y'know this is how many will immediately picture you...

View attachment 419403

Kidding aside, welcome to Texas! As many have suggested, find a rural DPS office to get your license. There are many in the Austin-San Antonio are depending on where you are. If you're closer to the latter, take a day trip out to Kerrville or even Castroville. Call first, but most likely you'll be able to walk in.

My hometown is where TPB was filmed!
    Usually the point of reference I give to explain where I'm from.

Thanks for the tips on DPS!

GaryS

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 4, 2016
    Hiding among the Hippos
    I would do that, but she told me that since COVID doctors are prohibited from doing telehealth visits across state lines. I can still message her via the patient gateway and she can write prescriptions for non narcotic drugs. Which means that she can renew my prescriptions for the two daily medications I take.

After a bad experience with a doctor who 'practices medicine" locally, my wife and I are still using our primary care and cardiologist from our previous state.

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    I would do that, but she told me that since COVID doctors are prohibited from doing telehealth visits across state lines. I can still message her via the patient gateway and she can write prescriptions for non narcotic drugs. Which means that she can renew my prescriptions for the two daily medications I take.
    My wife and I scheduled of our physicals for the same morning and we made a 7-1/2 hour drive each way.

Top Bottom