• ...and so much more!
  • Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    ... I knew a guy once that came across a few safes.... full of Garands....
    brownelled-757.gif

PinnedandRecessed

Allegedly
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 11, 2019
    Hays County
    Lack of ammo availability has killed much of my interest towards foreign milsurps. I've got a few hundred rounds left of 7.62x54R and I think that will last the rest of my lifetime with how much I shoot that old Mosin. If anyone's interested, I just saw an ad for minty Yugo SKS's @ Atlantic Firearms for $799.

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    I had someone tell I should have invested in precious metals, I laid magazine of 45 acp on the table as I told him my lead could take his gold.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Lack of ammo availability has killed much of my interest towards foreign milsurps. I've got a few hundred rounds left of 7.62x54R and I think that will last the rest of my lifetime with how much I shoot that old Mosin. If anyone's interested, I just saw an ad for minty Yugo SKS's @ Atlantic Firearms for $799.

Yeah, ammo is a consideration for milsurps for me as well which is why I stick to 7.62x39 and x54R. While nowhere as cheap as it used to be, those calibers are relatively well stocked and easily found.

8mm Mauser isn't too tough to find but still not cheap.

As for those "minty Yugo SKS rifles" were selling for $300-350 not too long ago, proving a point.

G O B

School of Hard Knocks and Sharp blows
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Hays Co.
    My Yugo was $199. Built AK's from Romy kits and parts, all less than $200. .410 Saiga $149, 12ga Saiga $199.
    I had damn little money back then, and had to shop verry carefully. If I had mor money then, I would have a LOT of money NOW!

BigD6765

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2016
    Dallas
    I keep a spreadsheet of all the firearms I own, including the price I paid for them, which got me thinking about their appreciate in value so I did a little research...

I've found opinions of everything from "Quality fire arms increase in value at about the same rate of inflation. 2-3% a year, 15 years that can as much as 45%" to "In general, new factory-produced firearms depreciate about 15% when they are purchased. After that initial depreciation, guns generally hold their value for the next 15 years while only losing an additional 1% per year. Guns that are 15 years old generally don’t lose any value until year 50 when they start to appreciate about .5% per year" to even "Most new guns lose about 20-30% of their value after you 'drive them off the lot'!”

I've even seen "Guns are not an investment."

While I get that last point, I fundamentally disagree with the claim certain firearms don't increase in value and shouldn't be collected with the intent with their increasing in value.

Which gets to my question...generally, how much have your firearms increased in value say over the last 10-15 years?

I know certain guns will gain value quicker than others, and I realized the current or potential political climate greatly affects the cost of guns and ammo; I'm looking for a reasonable estimate on how much my collection is worth.

At this point, I generally agree with the 2-3% average; but also realize some initially cheap milsurps I paid $99 15 years ago and now selling for 4-5x that price!

I'm 56, bought and sold many over the years. I'd agree that, on average, they keep up with inflation. Yes, if my father had bought a bunch of sears back in the day, I'd be in good shape...but alas...

Other items do go up (someone mentioned Marlin) that you wouldn't likely have predicted had they not went belly up. So, I don't do it for the money...I buy things I like and occasionally sell duplicates and/or some I don't shoot all that much.

I think it's much better to invest in the market overall for most people. For every one that did increase, many others did not. More often than not, when factoring in inflation, they don't really increase all that much...but they don't lose much either.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Let’s talk a minute about guns you’ve seen go down in value.

Not really go down in value so much as not go up.
    One I see is pre-64 Winchester Model 70’s. Once upon a time they were the must have. Now they just kinda sit there without much love.
    Blackpowder muzzleloader guns have also just about died.

davidindallas

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2014
    I collect the "Weird" black rifles.
    AR70, HK 43, AR180's stuff like that.
    All have done well.
    AR15s stay even.
    I DO collect one brand but I'm not tellin'
    ;)

davidindallas

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2014
    What do you project will happen to the .50 BMG rifles? Lawmakers have huge issue with those. I realize it depends on what the final say will be, but they've increased steadily,...much like the DJIA.

View attachment 437618
    Do NOT get a Sero GM6.
    Nothing but problems and no support.

These are very cool and the first US Gubmint ordered money-no-object .50 BMG rifle.

Last edited:

toby1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2018
    Llano, Tx
    I bought a rewatt fa Ppsh-41in 1990 for $400.00. I have no idea what it is worth now. With the exception of my Ruger 10/22's, every rifle I own has appreciated in value since the time I had bought it.

Top Bottom