• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • xkon

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2020
    Houston
    I don't know where this tie to the stock market and investments came up, I was only inquiring about the value of guns and how much they appreciate/depreciate over the years...
    Your first post says that some people say guns aren't an investment, you disagree with that and some firearms should be collected to increase in value (aka an investment).

I think someone suggesting a better alternative for investment such as putting money in a 401k is wise advice.

PinnedandRecessed

Allegedly
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 11, 2019
    Hays County
    Gun's only appreciate if you can find someone dumb enough to pay you more than they are actually worth/cost.
    Kinda like your house? Or is that different? When you want to sell make sure not to take the market into consideration and sell when someone offers 50% of what you paid for it.

I'm sure @baboon will sell you a fa MP5 for what he paid for it 30-40 years ago.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Your first post says that some people say guns aren't an investment, you disagree with that and some firearms should be collected to increase in value (aka an investment).

I think someone suggesting a better alternative for investment such as putting money in a 401k is wise advice.

And where did I advocate only investing in firearms?!? I am sure most realize it's not enough to eventually retire on.

My point, which is pretty clear, is that certain firearms do increase in value and if you understand that, I honestly don't have time to explain the obvious.

Lastly, why are you talking in the third person ("some people")?

Thanks for contributing zero to this discussion!

xkon

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2020
    Houston
    And where did I advocate only investing in firearms?!? I am sure most realize it's not enough to eventually retire on.

My point, which is pretty clear, is that certain firearms do increase in value and if you understand that, I honestly don't have time to explain the obvious.

Lastly, why are you talking in the third person ("some people")?

Thanks for contributing zero to this discussion!
    Transferables or spend investment money in other commodities. My contribution to your discussion.

Paul Saver

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2023
    North Texas
    My firearms will always be worthy to me. I am set. It's all about feeding them now.
    1711333014841.png

Txhillbilly

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    North Texas
    Kinda like your house? Or is that different? When you want to sell make sure not to take the market into consideration and sell when someone offers 50% of what you paid for it.

I'm sure @baboon will sell you a fa MP5 for what he paid for it 30-40 years ago.
    NFA items are a completely different deal, and have been since 1986.
    I've never cared about mil-surp firearm's, so in my 50+ years of owning and shooting, there has only been a couple that I actually bought.

Knowing what I could've paid for many of today's crazy priced firearm's years ago, makes me not want them even more.

DaBull

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 19, 2021
    San Antonio, TX
    If you bought a firearm in 1995 for $100, with inflation, you would have to sell it for $204 in 2024 just to break even in terms of purchasing power. So if you cannot sell your 1995 firearm for double what you paid, you are not coming out ahead.

$100 in 1984 is worth $304 today...so its triple what you paid for mid 80s purchases to break even.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Kinda difficult to figure the gun market out sometimes.
    Look at .40SW caliber guns. 15-20yrs ago they were the hotness. Nowadays you can't give one away.
    Opposite end: Old milsurps. pre-1950 stuff has gone nutzo. Ammo is almost unpossible to find any more. 100+yr old guns all worn out yet prices on them are up to batshit retarded levels.
    Lately I've noticed a crap ton of 22magnum guns coming into the market. Everyone I've talked to are saying ammo costs are driving them out of sock drawers and musty closets. Prices on them are a bit much as yet so we will see.

wbblazer90

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2014
    It depends, some hold value and go up really well. Depending on which HK you bought and when for example. I got my mark 23 for $1400 8 years ago or so and now they are $2k+. But whenever they discontinue a model, watch out. Hk 91, 93, PM13 etc.. USPs were crazy expensive until HK started making them in higher numbers again. We’ll see how long that lasts.

Revolvers, especially smiths and rugers have seen a renaissance recently. 686s and 629s even with the IL now have jumped $300+ in the last few years. Colt is colt. Some will argue the 70s and 80s era pythons will always hold value and go up. But as a Colt fan, I’m just as happy to spend $2k less to get a current production one. Once the blued ones drop below $1400 I think I’m in.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    If you bought a firearm in 1995 for $100, with inflation, you would have to sell it for $204 in 2024 just to break even in terms of purchasing power. So if you cannot sell your 1995 firearm for double what you paid, you are not coming out ahead.
    In 1995 91/30s were what, like $60? Now they are 5 times that.

I'm rich!

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Lately I've noticed a crap ton of 22magnum guns coming into the market. Everyone I've talked to are saying ammo costs are driving them out of sock drawers and musty closets. Prices on them are a bit much as yet so we will see.

Every time my wife sent me to Walmart I went to the gun counter and bought a little milk carton of 22mag. Those packs were about $16 for 125 rounds. I have a couple ammo cans full of them now, but they aren't $16 any more. I think I have enough to fuel my PMR30 till I die.

BTW, my wife just HAD to have that PMR30 after that night she shot that and your Colt 9mm 1911 in Tomball? She liked the fireball.

alterspaces

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2024
    Corpus Christi
    When I move back to Cali, all the off-roster guns I have will appreciate 30-50% in value. FYI, off-roster does not mean illegal, it just means that dealers can't sell it.

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    When I move back to Cali, all the off-roster guns I have will appreciate 30-50% in value. FYI, off-roster does not mean illegal, it just means that dealers can't sell it.
    The sale or transfer of a firearm is illegal unless it is completed through a licensed CA firearm dealer. No handgun may be sold by a firearm dealer to the public unless it is of a make and model listed on the DOJ official Roster of Handguns Certified for Sale in CA.
    I guess that covers the BOS question.

alterspaces

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2024
    Corpus Christi
    Actually neither can you, legally. Since all sales public and private are supposed to go thru a dealer
    The sale or transfer of a firearm is illegal unless it is completed through a licensed CA firearm dealer. No handgun may be sold by a firearm dealer to the public unless it is of a make and model listed on the DOJ official Roster of Handguns Certified for Sale in CA.
    I guess that covers the BOS question.
    Well it seems both of you guys got it wrong. It will go through a dealer, and I'm allowed to sell off-roster guns that way. Only the dealer can't sell them. It literally says so in statute you cited. Not sure why you guys are so convinced I'm going to do something wrong, I'm literally from CA and have done this several times. off-roster guns are all the rage on the CA version of TGT.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Busy rookies
    Top Bottom