• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KAK

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Waco
    So I do not want to make any of yall mad. But this is a question I have been wondering about for a while.
    Let me also say that I have the upmost respect for our police.

Here it is. Lets say for one reason or another, you are being wrongly fired at by an LEO. You have tried other means to get him to stop, now your life is in IMEDIATE danger, do you take him out?

I am not trying to stir anything up here, I want a legitimate answer. There are also impersonating criminals to worry about too. What do yall think?
    Texas SOT

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I don't think firing at police is conducive to long life.

Do what you have to do to survive, but I doubt shooting at a police officer is the best and brightest idea.

KAK

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Waco
    Is there a way to make an LEO stop firing where they break protocol if they dont? This could mean he/she is indeed an imposter.

KAK

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Waco
    Do what you have to do to survive, but I doubt shooting at a police officer is the best and brightest idea.

Here is the thing. Do you have a better idea at that split second? Its better than the only alternative I can think of.

West Texas

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Texas!
    The bottom line is this....if you shoot a cop, even if you are in the RIGHT, you are wrong. Period. And that should scare the should scare teh crap out of you. It was stated in another thread that "Peace Officers" are no more. Maybe what we need isn't "Police" but "Peace Officers". I've never had a problem with cops, and my close friends know that...but even here on this forum we see the attitude of a few that "I am/was a cop and I know better than you do" or "I am/was a cop and because you aren't/weren't you are scum". That attitude is spreading more and more in certain areas of the country. It's making it harder for good cops who are trying to do the right thing to do the job, and driving a bigger and bigger wedge between civilians and "police"...a wedge that didn't use to be there.

While I had seen this in real life, I have been reminded of it on this forum....and it pisses me off. As Tax Payers (read EMPLOYERS) we should have a say so in the way our Government is run, from the POTUS to the Dog Catcher.

Clockwork

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    A wise man named Snoop D oh double G once said unto the busters:

Snoop Dogg said:
    Turned my back and grabbed my gat and guess what I told him before I shot it.
    "If you don't quit, yeah, if you don't stop, yeah, I'm lettin' my gat pop"
    Cause it's 1-8-7 on an undercover cop.

But being as that you are not he and there is no blue carpet waiting for you it would be best not to fire at peace officers no matter the circumstance.

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    I can't envision myself getting into a situation or position that I would be fired upon by any Texas Law Enforcement , and if so would make an attempt to let officer know that I was going to attempt to surrender peacefully. Forget the "what ifs" because the situation is highly unlikely, Now if another party was trying to kill a Texas LEO, and I was armed and on the scene it would be my goal to protect that LEO by doing whatever was necessary . We have seen so many "Gunsmoke" and "Have Gun, will travel" that occasionally some people get the feeling that they would welcome a gunfight but bullets coming one's own direction is not like TV and the movies....

wrtanker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2009
    Ft. Worth
    Actually, I can see this "what if" situation. A person is rousted because he fits the description of a bad guy the cops want very badly (recent crime in the area). The person is ignorant of the situation. The cops calls "halt" and the guy, innocently enough, makes a move that the on-edge cop misinterprets. The cop starts shooting. Well, returning fire will only escalate the situation in a direction you definitely don't want to go. Best to make every attempt to keep expressing your surrender. The chances of taking a killing bullet are low so I think your best chance of survival is to go spread eagle on the ground and risk getting shot. Under no circumstances would I ever consider firing on a cop who was acting in the line of duty.

gladi8r

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Troy Tx
    Police officers are people too and people make mistakes small and big if that was to ever happen I would try to express that I am not the bad guy and do all I can to surrender to him even if it involved calling 911 again and talking to a dispatcher.

tweek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    DFW
    In that circumstance I'd look in to the wisdom of the French and RUN AWAY like a scared little girl.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    It is better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6. If I were in this highly unlikely situation, surrender is the best option. Retreat is the second best option. After that, if the officer does not allow me to surrender, retreating is not safely possible, and is still firing at me, then they are considered an enemy. A good and normal LEO will allow you to surrender. If they do not allow you to, then they are not acting like a Leo, they are acting like a murderer. As with most people here, I consider myself a good guy and generally on the same side as the LEO.

tweek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    DFW
    now being serious: if this so very highly extremely unlikely to ever occur in this universe situation were to happen: video, video and video some more. Video yourself yelling at the officer that you want to surender, video yourself trying to flee, video yourself calling 911 and pleading for help, video that your life is in danger and they you have exhausted every reasonable and unreasonable option and finally video yourself defending your life.

hopefully, nobody will ever be put in that position.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    If a rogue cop is trying to murder you, and your only options are die or fight back, then you should shoot him. But this a sci-fi scenario and not helpful or interesting.

Philo Beddoe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2010
    Lubbock, Tx.
    I had an encounter with a Lubbock County Sheriff deputy about 25 years ago that could have gone badly. He pulled me over for a burned out tail light, then when I told him I'd walk up the highway to the gas station to get another bulb, he told me: "You cross that highway and I'll write you another ticket for jaywalking." That was all I could take of his arrogant unprofessional attitude and I made a snide remark about it being a good thing he's not elected or he'd be out of a job. He blew his stack, puffed his chest out, doubled his fists and had tiny balls of spit flinging from his mouth as he yelled at me. The guy was out of control and I got the impression that he might have done something bad had I reacted poorly just then.

I can see how a cop might be shooting for the wrong reasons, just as they sometimes do no-knock warrants at the wrong address. It's a darned if you do darned if you don't scenario.

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    About 12 years ago I was traveling east toward Big Lake Texas out of Rankin.
    I got pulled over by a DPS officer. I was speeding about 5 mph over the limit.
    It was very hot outside and the officer asked me if I would mind stepping out of the P.U...
    I said sure, and got all my stuff and handed it to him. As I was standing on the side of the road leaning on my truck bed I got the idea that im going to the other side as cars and trucks flew by. As I walked around the back of the truck the fool jumped out of his car yelling" What do you think you doing". I said im getting out of the road jackass!!! As I got between my truck and his car he was still running his mouth. I turned around and told em if he wanted to stand in the road and get run over then go ahead, but im going over here!! He bowed up and acted as if he was going to pull his gun on me. My exact words were, if you pull that gun, im fixin to take away form you punk ass!!! I then told the SOB to write the ticket or get somebody else here to do it for him. As I stood beside my truck he wrote the ticket. He was pissed off and I knew it.
    A day or two later the DPS boss man in Big Lake called me and asked if I could stop by there to see him. I asked why. He explained how all of the patroll cars had been getting video cameras installed in them and the SOB's car had one. After hearing the SOB telling his side of the issue they decided to look at the video of the event. I then asked his if they were trying to pull some crap on me? He said No Sir. He wanted me to come in and file a complaint against the SOB!!! I explained to the man how im not much for complaining but I would help them if he felt like something need to be done. He told me that if a DPS officer get too many legitimate complaints they can em!! I agreed to file a complaint only if someones else has a problem with the man. I also told him to let the SOB know it!!

I dont care if your a fed, DPS, Deputy, or a City Cop. Showing respect to the public will always benefit everyone. I dont go around acting like an Ass to the cops and I expect the same in return. LEO's cant open fire on you unless you are attempting to harm someone. I cant say if I will return fire untill the issue happens. What I can say, I wont allow anyone to cause me harm!!

Adionik

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    san antonio
    Uh don't you get the death penalty for killing a cop in Texas?

I think i'd throw my hands in the air and take my chances...either way you're dead

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    Uh don't you get the death penalty for killing a cop in Texas?

I think i'd throw my hands in the air and take my chances...either way you're dead

Knid of a harsh reality, aint it. Either be in the papers as an innocent man shot and killed by the police, or be the innocent man who defended himself againt some idiot that was shooting at him.
    Policeman or not, aint nobody got an excuse for shooting at you unless they catch you commiting a life threatening act!!!

KAK

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Waco
    Well I think there is a argument for trying to make a run for the border in that case.

Top Bottom