• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So FIL has turbines on his property. The ones here have a padmount XFMR stepping up the voltage leaving the turbine. I'm assuming the head is generating 3phase 480v down the tube?? and the padmount is stepping up to 14.4v???? To the substation.

The 2nd phase of the wind farm just got installed here in Fluvanna. These new turbines have no XFMR at the base of them. Where is the bump coming from? Are they converting in the head with a dry cell XFMR? Are they sending primary voltage down the tube?

The new ones are very different then the existing ones.... just not sure how they are getting the AC voltage to the sub.
    Venture Surplus ad

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Generally the turbine generates at 480 volt. Some are 600.
    Most every collection system is 34.5kV to the station. Some turbines have a transformer in the nacelle and will run "distribution" voltage down the tower and tap the collection circuit via a j-box.
    What manufacturer turbines are being installed in phase 2?

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Generally the turbine generates at 480 volt. Some are 600.
    Most every collection system is 34.5kV to the station. Some turbines have a transformer in the nacelle and will run "distribution" voltage down the tower and tap the collection circuit via a j-box.
    What manufacturer turbines are being installed in phase 2?
    34.5kv phase to ground? or phase to phase?

Is this a dry cell XFMR? How do they deal with a leak? Also, do the guys climbing the tower have a different approach to climbing a tower with "secondary" voltage opposed to "primary" voltage running down the pipe.

Can't say. The 2nd phase was a "bale out" for the project. Something about a European/Dutch investor stepping in.

Or our F*&%ing government screwing thing up as always.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Some of it has to do with the generator being synchronous verses the asynchronous
    They can make clean power that is ready to go to the substation. That was how it was explained to me as to why some of the newer WTGs don’t need a transformer at the bottom.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Today, almost all generators are 600 V. In Texas, the transformer is typically stepping up to 34.5 kV. At the substation, the main power transformer will stepup further for transmission.

Most Vestas turbines have the transformer uptower in the nacelle. Switchgear is located in the tower base. One of their older models (V82, last one sold probably 6-7 years ago) used a padmount. GE and Siemens use padmount transformers.

There are no differences in climbing a turbine with a pad mount transformer vs. uptower transformer.

Dad_Roman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2018
    Teague
    Well sure. Who wants a cancer-causing turbine anywhere near their house?
    tenor.gif

Attachments

• tenor.gif
      tenor.gif
      53.3 KB · Views: 280

Fishkiller

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 22, 2019
    The Big Town
    If I am correct workers only climb the towers when energized. Due to Arc Flash hazard no one is allowed inside the tower when energized. Just not enough space from the equipment. Most generate at 600 volts. As others have said the neer models have the transformers in side the tower. Wind power and solr are only viable with government kicking in funds

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    34.5kv phase to ground? or phase to phase?
    Phase to phase.

Is this a dry cell XFMR? How do they deal with a leak? Also, do the guys climbing the tower have a different approach to climbing a tower with "secondary" voltage opposed to "primary" voltage running down the pipe.
    Oil filled. A leak is dealt with much like a gearbox leak.
    Repair it or replace it and wash it off.

Can't say. The 2nd phase was a "bale out" for the project. Something about a European/Dutch investor stepping in.
    Wild horse? That's been on the back burner since '07.

Or our F*&%ing government screwing thing up as always.
    See above. Also, oldag covered it pretty well.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    If I am correct workers only climb the towers when energized. Due to Arc Flash hazard no one is allowed inside the tower when energized. Just not enough space from the equipment. Most generate at 600 volts. As others have said the neer models have the transformers in side the tower. Wind power and solr are only viable with government kicking in funds

Newer GE and Siemens turbines still use a pad mount transformer.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    I ask again: Once these hideous monstrosities die, who will remove them or will they be some sort "Blade Runner" future ugly into perpetuity or until corrosion finally does them in?

Anyone?

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I ask again: Once these hideous monstrosities die, who will remove them or will they be some sort "Blade Runner" future ugly into perpetuity or until corrosion finally does them in?

Anyone?
    I say their there for as long as they can stand.

Only reason I see them not getting used is a financial collapse. At that point... it won't matter much I guess.

I'll cut the lock and make my way up one with my 338:)

birddog

bullshit meter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    nunya
    Lot of in-depth knowledge about wind power. I’m assuming from onsite experience.

That being the case, did anyone notice a significant number of bird carcasses around the towers in any particular geographic regions? Just curious.

Last edited:

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    birddog,

I was going to mention that, but I don't know if birds being killed by the prop is a real thing or a b.s. rumor....sounds plausible.

Top Bottom