• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    The turbines as Horse Hollow Wind were first installed about 13 years ago, they were GE SLE or SLX series
    About 2 years ago they were updated with a process called “Repower”. The manufactures offer the owners trade in value and they put up newer turbines, much more efficient than the older ones and they come in and drop the whole nacelle and replace it with the newer one.
    The newer one produces more MW and that offesets the cost. The older nacelle get freshened up and are sold. Some of them went to developing countries like India.

So they were build and designed to be upgraded.
    Actually, they were not designed originally to have new nacelles installed. However, engineering analysis is performed to determine what kind of loading the tower can take. Fortunately, there were some conservative safety factors in the original tower design.

The initial capital investment is still very high. Once the PTC is gone, you will see fewer repower projects in all likelihood.
    Venture Surplus ad

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Every time we have an oil boom, we end up with allot of associated gas from the oil wells.
    The natural gas that can come off of this has been enormous. Just look at all of the flaring going on.

When natural gas gets dirt cheap, it makes it easier for natural gas/steam turbine plants to make energy and sell it. This competes with Wind.
    The tax credit (taxpayer subsidy) of $23/MWh, gives wind an unfair advantage in the market place. This is why so many thermal plants have closed in Texas (and elsewhere).

This is making grid stability a challenge. Also why we are on the verge of blackouts on extremely hot days when the winds are down.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    The tax credit (taxpayer subsidy) of $23/MWh, gives wind an unfair advantage in the market place. This is why so many thermal plants have closed in Texas (and elsewhere).

This is making grid stability a challenge. Also why we are on the verge of blackouts on extremely hot days when the winds are down.
    And we scrapped the a bunch of the old gas fired steam turbine plants over the last 15 years...really stupid move ....

Right now, with feedstock being nearly free, gas fired plants are doing great.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Actually, they were not designed originally to have new nacelles installed. ...

Really? That’s a bold statement to make unless you were personally present at the design phase of all GE & Siemens turbines, a lot of which occurred in Europe..

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Really? That’s a bold statement to make unless you were personally present at the design phase of all GE & Siemens turbines, a lot of which occurred in Europe..
    Not a bold statement. Just fact. And you forgot Vestas.

kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    birddog,
    I was going to mention that, but I don't know if birds being killed by the prop is a real thing or a b.s. rumor....sounds plausible.
    It's a real thing. Texas Parks and Wildlife magazine did an article on this a couple of months back. Basically, lots of birds are killed, but it is far less than the numbers killed by house cats, automobiles, and other risks. They gave the numbers and it was orders of magnitude smaller for the wind turbines. I tried to find it to link to, but struck out...
    Edit: Okay, here's the article. The numbers were in a sidebar and I don't see them here. Still, an interesting read.
    https://tpwmagazine.com/archive/2019/mar/ed_3_wind/index.phtml

Last edited:

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    When they re-powered the FIL's. That took the guts out and upgrade those components. Generator and blades. They kept the same nacelles.
    Now they are typically setting a new nacelle and rotor.

Even putting Vestas turbines on Clipper towers (with an adapter spool on top). GE similarly, but I think with fewer sites.

But today's repowers (as opposed to upgrades, which GE had done previously - e.g., 1.5 MW to 1.79 MW) the jump is much larger in terms of nameplate generation.

birddog

bullshit meter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    nunya
    Every time we have an oil boom, we end up with allot of associated gas from the oil wells.
    The natural gas that can come off of this has been enormous. Just look at all of the flaring going on.

When natural gas gets dirt cheap, it makes it easier for natural gas/steam turbine plants to make energy and sell it. This competes with Wind.

From what I’ve read the use of natural gas has environmental costs. Of course, when the oceans have risen 200 more feet and it’s 150 degrees outside I won’t be here to suffer for it.

Dad_Roman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2018
    Teague
    Now they are typically setting a new nacelle and rotor.

Even putting Vestas turbines on Clipper towers (with an adapter spool on top). GE similarly, but I think with fewer sites.

But today's repowers (as opposed to upgrades, which GE had done previously - e.g., 1.5 MW to 1.79 MW) the jump is much larger in terms of nameplate generation.
    How much is that stuff these days? Is it still around the 1M/Mw?

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Not a bold statement. Just fact. And you forgot Vestas.
    I didn’t forget Vestas I’ve never been there personally while they were re-powering a Vestas farm, but I have during a GE and a Siemens.
    But you would know, being the design engineer for all OEM’s.

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    This thread has me...

14608107_1180665285312703_1558693314_n.jpg

1.21 gigawatts anyone?

@birddog I was in the SCADA world for a bit on the pipeline side.

Attachments

• 14608107_1180665285312703_1558693314_n.jpg
      14608107_1180665285312703_1558693314_n.jpg
      35.1 KB · Views: 182

birddog

bullshit meter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    nunya
    This thread has me...

View attachment 183005

1.21 gigawatts anyone?

@birddog I was in the SCADA world for a bit on the pipeline side.

I was the Senior IT Security & SCADA lead/Network Architect and CERT forensics lead for the largest LNG & Petro products pipeline network in the nation. Among other things.

I get bored easily.

Last edited:

SA_Steve

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 1, 2014
    San Antonio, Texas USA
    SCADA, what's that ?
    I retired from pipelines in 2014 after 14 years as SCADA manager for the largest refined products system in the US, 256 remotes. Control center is in Alpharetta. The 10 years before that, SCADA manager for the largest US natural gas system, 1101 remotes, headquarters in Houston. A lifetime of 24x7 on call and a huge collection of interesting staffers and a few drunks as CEO's.

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    Birddog, I was all over the place. Didn't do much networking but did a smattering of other things. HMI and point to point commissionings, oncall control center support, etc etc. It was fun but got out of it because the future felt pretty limited where I was.

I stayed at a Holiday Inn once....

That's where your fancy towel collection comes from.

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    IIRC Ca sent a bunch of used ones to the north where they burned out!
    Total waste of resources. As in EU, owners are bailing before bottoms up.

Top Bottom