• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Whiskey_Rocka_Rolla

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Houston
    Locking someone in a restaurant sounds a little over the top to me. But I can and will say this much, I waited tables for 8 years, and trust me, no matter how good of a waiter you are, there will always be HORRIBLE shifts. Sometimes when dining out, and you get enraged at the waiter for whatever reason...it is a good possibility that it isn't even his or her fault..but they are not allowed to say anything except, "I'm sorry". Also, alot of people might not realize this, but waiters pay out a portion of their sales at the end of the shift. It's called "tip share". It pretty much is the restaurant saying, "we know you made money, you owe us 3.5% of your shifts' sales so we can pay the bussers and bartenders". And the server has no choice but to pay it, whether they got tipped or not.

So if a party of 15 racks up a bill of $400 or more, then that is automatically $14 out of the servers pocket. Whether they got tipped or not. In other words, if there were no automatic gratuity for large parties, waiters would wind up PAYING to work in many cases. But at the same time, this does not mean that it is ok to give substandard service, which I'm afraid is what happens alot when servers know their tips are guaranteed.

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    My uncle worked in the business. He said that he once experienced a table of ghetto gentlemen who kept complaining about everything they ordered, and the manager was being all nice and shit, and one by one he got them to give everything they ordered for free by saying everything tasted bad or was wrong. Also, they didn't tip.

XDMAR

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Clear Lake
    The restaurant may be at fault also. That's not legal either them charging for a good or service they did not provide.

I will never eat there, and I bet this little hassle has cost them a lot more business than what the tip was.

I live in Houston and am sure I will never eat at that restaurant after hearing this.

Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    Couple of things.
    1) From listening to the girl, I don't think this was a family - more like a group of teenagers.
    2) From the video, nothing to indicate the girl was a troublemaker.
    3) Whether or not they can legally require it, locking people in and calling the police over a "mandatory gratuity" is ridiculous. Sure, put it on the bill. But if somebody calls you over and details the poor service they received and explain why they don't feel they should pay this "gratuity", pull it off the bill. This was a friggin retarded move on their part. I know nothing about this restaurant, but now would never eat there.
    4) I always tip well (for decent service it will range from 20% up to 50%), but I am in agreement that this idea of paying the waitstaff shit and expecting the customers to cover for it is crap. Pay them a fair wage that they'll work for and tipping should never be expected - only given out by those who can afford it to those who deserve it.

ChunkyMonkey

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    San Antonio, Tx
    Group of teenagers, can easily spell trouble or attitude when it comes to money/service. Pack mentality, quick to complain.......well, some things I've experience. Not all, but some.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    My main point was that if the gratuity is included, there should be some guarentee of good service. If they mess up the order, don't keep your drinks full, or are rude, then you're getting ripped off.

Correct. If you ordered a side of fries and they were not brought out you would have every right not to pay for them. So, if the service promised (taking your orders, filling drinks, bringing the food out promptly and cooked to order etc) isn't as it should be, you should also have the right not to pay for it. The person however should have handled it by calling the manager over and politely complaining about it. Most rational managers would work out a deal.

hkusp1

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    DALLAS, TX
    a693481b-31da-c502.jpg

Whiskey_Rocka_Rolla

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Houston
    My uncle worked in the business. He said that he once experienced a table of ghetto gentlemen who kept complaining about everything they ordered, and the manager was being all nice and shit, and one by one he got them to give everything they ordered for free by saying everything tasted bad or was wrong. Also, they didn't tip.

I can only think of one restaurant that would do that...and that is Pappadeaux's....either that or some other Pappa's owned restaurant. Bennigans was known for that before they went out of business....

Whiskey_Rocka_Rolla

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Houston
    4) I always tip well (for decent service it will range from 20% up to 50%), but I am in agreement that this idea of paying the waitstaff shit and expecting the customers to cover for it is crap. Pay them a fair wage that they'll work for and tipping should never be expected - only given out by those who can afford it to those who deserve it.

I used to say the same thing, but then I waited tables and had a realization. Waiting tables, although most people can't tell, is VERY hard work. Sometimes the hardest part is not choking the person at the table, but then sometimes the hardest part is having a table full of people calling you an idiot when they asked you for a drink refill 15 mins ago, and you still haven't brought it out. When all the while it is the restaurant owners fault for being a cheapass and not ordering enough glasses to go around. Just one example of many situations that I have found myself in. Then of course, everyone has their good and bad days, but I personally tip based on how much the server is trying. If I am getting piss poor service, but I can see the server is trying their hardest, I'll still tip them the same amount. Now if I ask them for a drink, wait 10 mins, then go to the restroom and see them BS'ing with their co workers, then they are getting a crappy tip, equal to the crappy service I am getting.

But about paying servers a set rate, think about this, if servers KNEW they were getting paid regardless of the quality of service they gave, they'd be much less inclined to go out of their way to give you and your family good service (because believe me, some of those servers that make it look so easy when they wait on you and your family, have had to jump through hoops to do so..but part of their job it to not show that to the customers). Just saying. I do understand how someone could think that, but I'd think the quality of service would dwindle if they were getting paid hourly. I will say this much though, that is not the reason that American restaurants have moved to this system of paying their servers, it is to save a buck. But I personally tip 20% no matter what, unless I can see that the person waiting on me could give 2 shits whether or not I am happy.

barhob

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2009
    new braunfels
    the attention the restaurant has in this matter will cost them more in business than if they would have just cut the 17% out of the bill.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    3 of my kids have waited tables. So I usually tip 20% at every meal unless my waiter is an ass. It is hard work, and usually kids who need the money. I try to tip well to help out a kid willing to work instead of steal.

Huntinggal

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    dallas
    I think I might have made them arrest me rather than paying...that or tearing the 17% gratuity part of my payment into teeny tiny little pieces. What can they say? They still got paid.

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    I disagree. No one really cares enough to actually take action, especially since the complainers were trying to steal.
    Mandatory gratuity isn't gratuity at all...

Personally all you pay the servers a set wage people, have to realize a vast majority of the time those servers make out like bandits. I have a friend who works at an upscale restaurant, if he doesn't pull in 300 bucks on a weeknight, it was a bad evening... Even when I worked at joes crap shack those servers would pull 100 bucks on a bad night.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    BernierF350
    Top Bottom