• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LeadChucker

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2019
    Dallas TX
    Went to the vet today and got the news I didn't want to hear. My GSD, Kimba, my loyal, trusting, and faithful friend has cancer and only a few months left.

The symptoms, and they came on fast, were constant panting, excessive water consumption, and seeming to struggle with bowel movements. I knew something was wrong, but was hoping it was something treatable. If it was something like diabetes, I would absolutely make sure she got however many shots and pills a day to keep her going. But the vet even ruled out chemo. The only good thing is they don't believe she is any pain. And based on her behavior, I think they are right. She still wants to walk and play and get a good butt rub, she just tires easily. I've been given a pharmacy shelf of drugs to administer and will be taking her in for blood work every 30 days.. My vet said that the medicine would make her feel like a young dog again, but that it would only work for a while, and when the symptoms return, it would be that time.

I raised this little girl from a puppy. She's not yet nine, so she didn't even get a full run at life. Me, I'm almost seventy, so I've had to do this before. But I swear to God it gets harder every time. Cryin' over a dang dog. Getting old has turned me into a frikkin' wuss.

1686445888041.png
    Lynx Defense

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Went to the vet today and got the news I didn't want to hear. My GSD, Kimba, my loyal, trusting, and faithful friend has cancer and only a few months left.

The symptoms, and they came on fast, were constant panting, excessive water consumption, and seeming to struggle with bowel movements. I knew something was wrong, but was hoping it was something treatable. If it was something like diabetes, I would absolutely make sure she got however many shots and pills a day to keep her going. But the vet even ruled out chemo. The only good thing is they don't believe she is any pain. And based on her behavior, I think they are right. She still wants to walk and play and get a good butt rub, she just tires easily. I've been given a pharmacy shelf of drugs to administer and will be taking her in for blood work every 30 days.. My vet said that the medicine would make her feel like a young dog again, but that it would only work for a while, and when the symptoms return, it would be that time.

I raised this little girl from a puppy. She's not yet nine, so she didn't even get a full run at life. Me, I'm almost seventy, so I've had to do this before. But I swear to God it gets harder every time. Cryin' over a dang dog. Getting old has turned me into a frikkin' wuss.

View attachment 391345
    My condolences. Pm me if you’re near the metroplex.

I remember when I lost my friend, a gsd, from pup to old man and cancer took him.

He’s your best friend. When his final moments come, please reach out to us at tgt and don’t be afraid to ask for help if you need anything.

I was a mess and made a thread when I went through this same thing and the members here were full of love and support.

Last edited:

Wiliamr

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Austin
    Take heart in knowing that you gave Kimba a good and a happy life. Know, your love and companionship will make her last days ones she will enjoy. Dogs have a different take on time, they have a different feel for pain than we do. She does not know what is going on in her body, she only knows that You are her Human and you are there with her. Your love will keep her going and as whole as she can be till the end.

Know this... the group here is behind the two of you, and we support both of you.

There are no real words to make the coming times pleasant for you, what is important is keeping Kimba comfortable.

DoubleDuty

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2019
    DFW

View attachment 391345
    So sorry, it is always a sad day.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen

View attachment 391345

You ain't the only one that feels that way about your dog. My condolences to you both. Enjoy the time you can. Then treasure the memories.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

LeadChucker

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2019
    Dallas TX
    Thank you all. I don't know how long she and I have together, but I guarantee she is going to be an even more spoiled and pampered pup in whatever time we have. I've not had the pleasure to meet many of you in person, but the kind thoughts and well wishes mean a lot.

Kimba sends ya'll a big thankful "Woof"

LeadChucker

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2019
    Dallas TX
    The pain of loosing a loved one is just that. Dogs unconditional love makes them very hard when they pass.

The good news is there are an unlimited number of dogs needing rescued. View attachment 391351
    This is Renfield, he was my wife’s dog. After her death we bonded while grieving her.
    You both shared a love for your wife. That is a bond you both will share and cherish to the end of your days.

And roger that on the rescues - my wife and I are multi-year volunteers at the local no kill animal shelter and all our other pets are rescues.

Last edited:

thescoutranch

TN Transplant - We love living in TX
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 5, 2020
    Georgetown
    We lost Scooter back in 2018 (my avatar) to skin cancer. We had 10 months with him after the diagnosis. Best dog I ever had.

Spend the time with her while you can. My heart breaks for you.

Just remember, you have a hell of a support group here at TGT.

Top Bottom