• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Catherine1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    USA
    Went to the vet today and got the news I didn't want to hear. My GSD, Kimba, my loyal, trusting, and faithful friend has cancer and only a few months left.

The symptoms, and they came on fast, were constant panting, excessive water consumption, and seeming to struggle with bowel movements. I knew something was wrong, but was hoping it was something treatable. If it was something like diabetes, I would absolutely make sure she got however many shots and pills a day to keep her going. But the vet even ruled out chemo. The only good thing is they don't believe she is any pain. And based on her behavior, I think they are right. She still wants to walk and play and get a good butt rub, she just tires easily. I've been given a pharmacy shelf of drugs to administer and will be taking her in for blood work every 30 days.. My vet said that the medicine would make her feel like a young dog again, but that it would only work for a while, and when the symptoms return, it would be that time.

I raised this little girl from a puppy. She's not yet nine, so she didn't even get a full run at life. Me, I'm almost seventy, so I've had to do this before. But I swear to God it gets harder every time. Cryin' over a dang dog. Getting old has turned me into a frikkin' wuss.

View attachment 391345

Prayers said for you and your dog.

Beautiful dog! Good pictures.

German Shepherds, a couple of Cocker Spaniels and a pound puppy adoption = Samoyed were the dogs that were in my family from the time that I was a baby to not too long after my late husband died.

I had more GS dogs than any other BREED of dog and they were/are my favorite breed of ALL.

ALL of my dogs were FEMALE PUPPIES shy of one CS male puppy named Kelly that came from a famous Virginia Kennel. He was given to me as a gift when I was 16 years old.

There IS a doggie heaven.

I do believe that we will be united with our beloved dogs along with our HUMAN loved ones who went to heaven before us.

Take care.

Old Lady Cate
    Texas SOT

Texasgordo

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Gonzales, Texas
    Doesn't mean you're a wuss, it means you care.
    Yeah that's what I needed to say. A few weeks ago my little sister bought a little Jack Russell terrier mix that passed away after 3 weeks. I never would have guessed that a little puppy the size of my hand would have my crying like a baby when she passed away. She wasn't even my dog either, she belonged to my sister's kids but I still loved playing with the little pup. Just glad we were able to give her a few weeks of love in her short life.

Last edited:

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Took my own advice and put down my rescue Boston today. We have had him for 13 years and his companion chihuahua has been crying since we came home without his buddy. So are we.

Attachments

• jack.JPG
      jack.JPG
      193.3 KB · Views: 30

LeadChucker

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2019
    Dallas TX
    Took my own advice and put down my rescue Boston today. We have had him for 13 years and his companion chihuahua has been crying since we came home without his buddy. So are we.
    Dogs unconditionally devote themselves to us. They deserve every bit of kindness we can provide. Even though it is the right thing, it still hurts to do. When it came time for one of our dogs, my vet said "What makes it so hard to give them up is their bodies give out before their devotion." My sympathies to you and your family - regardless of leg count.

Last edited:

DoubleDuty

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2019
    DFW
    Man I am sorry for you. Dogs know when their pack buddies are gone. I had to put my Toy Fox Terrier to sleep and when I brought her home to bury my Beagle just started howling.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    How you know when you're a good person: As much shit as y'all give him, I've been shooting with Moonpie for years - and I consider him a good friend. In his wisdom, he once told me something like "If people don't like dogs, I probably don't like them." I wholeheartedly concur.

Even if the dog likes Glocks.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Sorry to hear that. I share your pain.

Top Bottom