Dec 10, 2010
    Mico TX

Aus_Schwaben

First to know - Last to care!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 31, 2019
    Abilene, TX
    At some point, the U.S. is going to run out of money for real needs while the Biden Administration blows money on made up issues!

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Erase the history of the last civil war just before the next one starts......
    Pretty much.
    It's easier to start the next one if you don't remember the first one. But I don't think the next will be what those that want it think will be or turn out the way they think.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

AustinBR

BayouShooter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2017
    Here and there
    Devil's advocate here...but...why does anyone care if bases are renamed?

The confederacy lost the Civil War and in the years after the war, some people from the South decided to name things (streets, colleges, military bases, and etc) after generals from the losing side of the war to give a longterm middle finger to the North.

The Civil War and all components of it should absolutely be taught in schools, but why does it make sense to name things after generals and leaders from the side that literally lost the war?

BigRed

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2021
    Midwest

The confederacy lost the Civil War and in the years after the war, some people from the South decided to name things (streets, colleges, military bases, and etc) after generals from the losing side of the war to give a longterm middle finger to the North.

The Civil War and all components of it should absolutely be taught in schools, but why does it make sense to name things after generals and leaders from the side that literally lost the war?

Well, here is a lesson.

It was not a civil war. A civil war is an effort to take over control of the government.

The seceding States were never attempting to take over the federal government. They were wanting to leave it.

A war of northern aggression to prevent southern independence? Sure.

Civil war? Not by a long shot.

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas

It was done as part of the healing process for the Nation among many reasons.....

They were "American Soldiers" and deserve respect as such..........

AustinBR

BayouShooter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2017
    Here and there
    I don't really have any skin in this game and don't care either way, but I think it's important to challenge viewpoints on both sides of conversations to build an understanding and rationale for myself (and maybe others).

Well, here is a lesson.

It was not a civil war. A civil war is an effort to take over control of the government.

The seceding States were never attempting to take over the federal government. They were wanting to leave it.

A war of northern aggression to prevent southern independence? Sure.

Civil war? Not by a long shot.
    That's a major oversimplification of all of the history that led to the war and what led to the war ending. Also, at the conclusion of the war, the South did indeed kill the sitting US President...

But the South still lost the war. Why would the country that was (re?)formed after the war keep things that honor those who wanted to pull apart from the United States?

It was done as part of the healing process for the Nation among many reasons.....

They were "American Soldiers" and deserve respect as such..........
    They were Confederate Soldiers and if you asked them, I would imagine they wouldn't identify as American Soldiers.

But even if we respect them, why honor them by putting their name on a ton of things?

Honestly, the Confederate generals and leaders were lucky that they weren't treated as leaders of a lost war are normally treated - execution.

Anyway, I just don't see how in 2023 it makes sense to keep the names of American dissenters on a bunch of buildings. What's the harm in updating things to honor more modern American heros?

glenbo

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 3, 2014
    San Leon
    I don't really have any skin in this game and don't care either way, but I think it's important to challenge viewpoints on both sides of conversations to build an understanding and rationale for myself (and maybe others).

That's a major oversimplification of all of the history that led to the war and what led to the war ending. Also, at the conclusion of the war, the South did indeed kill the sitting US President...

But the South still lost the war. Why would the country that was (re?)formed after the war keep things that honor those who wanted to pull apart from the United States?

They were Confederate Soldiers and if you asked them, I would imagine they wouldn't identify as American Soldiers.

But even if we respect them, why honor them by putting their name on a ton of things?

Honestly, the Confederate generals and leaders were lucky that they weren't treated as leaders of a lost war are normally treated - execution.

Anyway, I just don't see how in 2023 it makes sense to keep the names of American dissenters on a bunch of buildings. What's the harm in updating things to honor more modern American heros?
    Pissing on history is just fine. Who needs it?

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin

Where did you move from?

BigRed

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2021
    Midwest

I sincerely encourage you to study history much deeper.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County

You would imagine incorrectly. Look into the actual history. Look into the reunions the veterans had in the decades after the war, where men from both sides were welcomed and enjoyed fellowship with each other. The US government declared all Confederate veterans to be US veterans, and it was the US government that named the bases that are being renamed now. It was an effort at healing, which is the exact opposite motivation of the current renaming move.

Also, it's a fucking waste of money. These bases have had these names for nearly a century, and now suddenly documents, buildings, electronic records, and God knows what else will need to be renamed. Not to mention the confusion this will sow for anyone looking into a person's military service or reading military history...all to satisfy the whim of people who are seeking to sweep history under the rug.

So where does it end? Do we retroactively rename anything and everything that was named for a Confederate officer? Should the M3 Jackson tank destroyer from WWII and Korea be renamed because it was named for Stonewall Jackson? Do we rename the M3 Lee tank from WWII? Do we extend it to people who have the same last name as Confederate figures? Should Samuel L Jackson be forced to change his name? Or maybe we should retroactively rename Miles Davis because he shared a last name with Jefferson Davis?

Tell me, where do we draw the line? Maybe we should've drawn it before this useless expenditure of money aimed at making a small number of loud, ignorant people happy...

Top Bottom