• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    You know, if these guys who actually took up arms on opposite sides and may have even been on opposite sides of the same battlegrounds could put it behind them, you'd think people whose great-grandparents weren't even born back then could, too.

image-asset.jpeg

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Devil's advocate here...but...why does anyone care if bases are renamed?

The confederacy lost the Civil War and in the years after the war, some people from the South decided to name things (streets, colleges, military bases, and etc) after generals from the losing side of the war to give a longterm middle finger to the North.

The Civil War and all components of it should absolutely be taught in schools, but why does it make sense to name things after generals and leaders from the side that literally lost the war?
    There ain't no "devil's advocate" here. Just plain, unvarnished BULLSHIT.

I grew up an Army brat in the real Army, not this woke pussified organization some call The Army today.
    To the soldiers I grew up with, the Veterans Cemetary at Arlingron was a National Cemetary for AMERICAN SOLDIERS, ALL of them. Regardless of what anyone thinks, the soldiers of BOTH Armies were AMERICANS fighting for what they believed in. Too many for get that there were Southerners that fought for the North and Northeners that fought for the South. Many fought family members. Most of the Southern officers were West Point trained and many of the soldiers also learned to soldier in the Army of the United States.

North or South,,, Dammit!, they were first and foremost AMERICAN SOLDIERS. They deserve to be remembered as AMERICANS. Every one of them died to protect what they considered to be American Ideals.

The previous Civil War could have been prevented by BOTH SIDES strictly adhereing to the Constitution. It was not done. Sadly, that lesson was not learned, and it looks more and more like we will have to try to learn that lesson again. The hard way.
    If we do have another one, I'm willing to bet that there won't be enough left of the United States to matter where the damn bodies are buried.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    I don't really have any skin in this game and don't care either way, but I think it's important to challenge viewpoints on both sides of conversations to build an understanding and rationale for myself (and maybe others).

That's a major oversimplification of all of the history that led to the war and what led to the war ending. Also, at the conclusion of the war, the South did indeed kill the sitting US President...

But the South still lost the war. Why would the country that was (re?)formed after the war keep things that honor those who wanted to pull apart from the United States?

They were Confederate Soldiers and if you asked them, I would imagine they wouldn't identify as American Soldiers.

But even if we respect them, why honor them by putting their name on a ton of things?

Honestly, the Confederate generals and leaders were lucky that they weren't treated as leaders of a lost war are normally treated - execution.

Anyway, I just don't see how in 2023 it makes sense to keep the names of American dissenters on a bunch of buildings. What's the harm in updating things to honor more modern American heros?
    >
    Sir,

You have zero understanding of the FACTS or the sentiments.

Please go back to Detroit, Schenectady, or wherever you came from.

leVieux

Last edited:

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    I don't really have any skin in this game and don't care either way, but I think it's important to challenge viewpoints on both sides of conversations to build an understanding and rationale for myself (and maybe others).

That's a major oversimplification of all of the history that led to the war and what led to the war ending. Also, at the conclusion of the war, the South did indeed kill the sitting US President...

But the South still lost the war. Why would the country that was (re?)formed after the war keep things that honor those who wanted to pull apart from the United States?

They were Confederate Soldiers and if you asked them, I would imagine they wouldn't identify as American Soldiers.

But even if we respect them, why honor them by putting their name on a ton of things?

Honestly, the Confederate generals and leaders were lucky that they weren't treated as leaders of a lost war are normally treated - execution.

Anyway, I just don't see how in 2023 it makes sense to keep the names of American dissenters on a bunch of buildings. What's the harm in updating things to honor more modern American heros?
    "The South" did not kill Lincoln. That act was performed by an individual, with some assistance. But that was not a Confederate government plot.

You really lack an understanding of the War Between the States and of American history up to that point in time. The current idea (which you have) of a monolithic United States did not exist at that time. States rights were taken seriously and held dear (sadly this has been almost completely lost). American was a union of individual states, not a monolithic bloc.

The generals had served in the U.S. military prior to the War Between the States. Soldiers had loyalty to their states and almost all served their state. This was respected by those on both sides. Many remained friends, even though on opposite sides.

They were brave men who served valiantly. They fought and sacrificed for their beliefs.

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    Devil's advocate here...but...why does anyone care if bases are renamed?

Because, IMO, it has nothing to do with the war at all.

Turn the question around: Why does anyone care if the bases are NOT renamed?

Are the names offensive to you? Your being offended is offensive to me.

Life isn't the liberal safe-space bubble they want it to be; even though that plays to the wussy crowd. Renaming things, so someone's feelings aren't hurt, is just another ploy to keep sheep pacified and penned.

So...change the names, or dont change the names.
    Someday the hunters will come.

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016

My own Confederate great-grandfather received a pension from the United States in the early 1900's and a bronze grave marker from Veterans Affairs in the 1980's.

Conciliation and respect were hallmarks of the reunion, forgotten in this current generation of division heading toward another conflict...

The destruction of monuments and the renaming of bases does nothing to unify and everything to divide, as you may well see here...

TxPython357

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2022
    Spuger, TX
    “Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    My own Confederate great-grandfather received a pension from the United States in the early 1900's and a bronze grave marker from Veterans Affairs in the 1980's.

Conciliation and respect were hallmarks of the reunion, forgotten in this current generation of division heading toward another conflict...

The destruction of monuments and the renaming of bases does nothing to unify and everything to divide, as you may well see here...
    <>

Yes, Gil, and all TRUE.

BUT, My interest was in exploring the actual CAUSES of the conflict, and transmitting my findings to my own descendants and others.

When I reached about 45, I gradually realized that the story we had all “learned” in schools couldn’t possibly be true.

So, I consulted several professional Historians, who gave me guidelines as to where to look and what to look for, & sent me out to learn.

I was shocked to find that all the materials are preserved for all to see, if we are so inclined. And, as I suspected, the actual story which emerged was totally at odds with our “history” books and the devotion to Lincoln.

Unlike historians, I have no interest in battles, troop movements, or personalities. We all know how it ended, but few understand the calculated cruelty of post-War “Reconstruction”, nor how the Yankee occupation destroyed our Black upper classes.

Texas, still being “frontier” in that era, had all sorts of non-Slave Black folks.

Louisiana had complete Black designed structured social order, with numerous extremely wealthy “Black” Citizens. The occupation totally destroyed their wealth, confiscated by carpetbaggers. Many escaped to France and the Mexican coast around Vera Cruz and Tampico, where their heirs still live. The occupiers were not here to help anyone, especially our Southern Blacks.

I could go on-and-on. . . . . . .

leVieux

Top Bottom