• ...and so much more!
  • Iowashooter

Bitter Clinger
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2024
    Iowa
    I've been shopping the last several days for components to assemble/create a fun, lightweight 10/22 rifle.

I'm shocked at the high prices of components (receivers, barrels, trigger groups, stocks, etc).

It will probably end up as a gift to one of my daughters (age 35) who often shoots with me... since I already have a 10/22 that I love to shoot.

I'm not a guy after a precision rifle... I just enjoy the process of selecting various components that would make a good looking, lightweight, accurate (not perfect) rifle.

I built a few ARs a few years ago (including one for same daughter) and went through the same price shock... but was happy I built them / customized them the way I wanted... even though very similar completed ones were usually cheaper.

Guess I'll just have tbite the bullet
    Hurley's Gold

Iowashooter

Bitter Clinger
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2024
    Iowa
    Here's my current one...

Franklin Armory binary trigger, 110-rd drum mag, funky compensator and 2-7x32 vortex scope

Just cause 'Merica

20240224_092703.jpg

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    I've been shopping the last several days for components to assemble/create a fun, lightweight 10/22 rifle.

I'm shocked at the high prices of components (receivers, barrels, trigger groups, stocks, etc).

It will probably end up as a gift to one of my daughters (age 35) who often shoots with me... since I already have a 10/22 that I love to shoot.

I'm not a guy after a precision rifle... I just enjoy the process of selecting various components that would make a good looking, lightweight, accurate (not perfect) rifle.

I built a few ARs a few years ago (including one for same daughter) and went through the same price shock... but was happy I built them / customized them the way I wanted... even though very similar completed ones were usually cheaper.

Guess I'll just have tbite the bullet
    IMG_0988.jpeg

My build. KIDD 20” barrel, KIDD internals, VQ trigger and Revolution stock. On an average day with Wolf Match Target at 50 yards.(5 shot groups)
    IMG_1868.jpeg

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Just buy a Kidd ultralight barrel and decent stock. You can do the trigger work, bolt release mod and install a nice mag release and have a great gun for a youngster. If you're brave enough you can also shrink your groups a bit by head spacing the bolt. I've built at least a dozen over the years and if you don't mind the weight a factory bull barrel is pretty accurate.

Probably the best value for dollar in bull barrels are ER shaws. With ultralights there a huge market but the Kidd barrels are a buy once cry once deal.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Just buy a Kidd ultralight barrel and decent stock. You can do the trigger work, bolt release mod and install a nice mag release and have a great gun for a youngster. If you're brave enough you can also shrink your groups a bit by head spacing the bolt. I've built at least a dozen over the years and if you don't mind the weight a factory bull barrel is pretty accurate.

Probably the best value for dollar in bull barrels are ER shaws. With ultralights there a huge market but the Kidd barrels are a buy once cry once deal.
    The KIDD barrels are hand lapped as well and are insanely accurate if you do your part.

RickLovesBacon

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Austin
    They sure add up quick. I'm working on a 10/22 bullpup kit that I have been sitting on for a VERY long time and it's adding up very fast with just a few components

Lead Belly

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    Lake Conroe
    Best bet if building super accurate 10/22 is don't buy a Ruger 10/22, then remove all the parts. Start with a Brownells BRN-22 stripped receiver, add the Kidd barrel, custom stock (I use FAB Defense chassis), etc. BX trigger isn't terrible, but there are better ones. Guy on ebay used to slick stock trigger up nicely.

trigger.png

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    The plastic trigger groups can easily be worked to produce as low as a 2lb very reliable trigger. It's all in working just the hammer. I bought a 12 pack years ago and have a few 2.5, 3 and 3.25lb ones that drop in and work. Years ago someone did a durability test and found it was actually easier to crack an aluminum trigger group housing than the plastic ones. I have both from over 30 years of various generations of them. The aluminum ones look better but the plastic ones are still shooters.

The aluminum ones also take a lot more effort to turn into clean light triggers. The advertised hammer/sear kits almost never perform as stated.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Like anything else, high end parts have high end price tags.

You don't need every single kidd or volquartsen part to have a good shooter

KSA barrels are good and cheap

The magpul hunter x22 stock is good for the price, adjustable LOP, swappable cheek riser

The trigger will be the biggest cost, but all you need to do is swap some parts for volquartsen or kidd versions.

Top Bottom