• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    So we’ve got another trip planned, figure I’d post a thread about the inevitable shitshow :laughing:

It’s not for a few weeks, but here’s the skinny:
    My carmaker customer is holding a massive press event about an hour inland from San Diego, centered around desert off-roading. It’ll be the entire second week of April and I’ll be repping our company since we’re a supplier and our brand will be on all of the vehicles.

I’ve reserved a nice AirBnB in San Diego to stay at, huge fenced yard for The Boys to run around, and we’ll stay an extra few days to make a little vacation out of it. Company pays for nearly all of it so that’s a plus.

Here’s the fun part. There’s no way we’re subjecting The Boys to that drive. But we roll deep, as in we don’t pack light.

So Mrs. Pronstar and Dani the au pair will fly out with the boys…while I leave two days prior and drive the loaded Suburban with all of our crap.

The Boys have never flown before, and to set everyone up for a successful trip, they’ll only have to travel with a diaper bag on the plane.

Afterward, they’ll fly home and I’ll make the drive. Which I actually enjoy when alone…with a car full of miserable people and kids, not so much.

The Fam can drive up to Orange County and Riverside county to visit friends/family while I’m working.

Particularly my mom…she’s not gonna be with us much longer, and because we all got sick as shit on the last shitshow, I mean trip, she wasn’t able to meet Rowdy, our youngest. So it’s important for us that she at least gets to meet him.

And when I’m not working, we’ll take the kids to the San Diego Zoo (it’s world-class amazing), Sesame Street-land, Lego Land, the beach, maybe the Wild Animal Park.

So what’s the over/under on the fucking Suburban leaving me stranded…we’re 2 for 3 based on the last road trip we’ve taken with it. I’m running out of things to replace :laughing:
    Guns International

Eastexasrick

Isn't it pretty to think so.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Naples TX.
    I will not bet against you. But using your current usage level and mean failure rate:
    The rearend/third member is going to seize up ( carrier bearings) on the way back, 20 miles east of Gila Bend, 38% chance a front wheel bearing will fail, right after the A/C pump gives up the ghost outside of Wilcox. Also I think it would be a bad idea to stop at the gas station in Plateau TX.

1710894709104.png

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    You going to be in Glamis? Sand Rail racing maybe? I used to live north of San Diego for over 20 years and Glamis is a lot of fun.
    oh man, G and Occotillo Wells were my old stomping grounds!

Literally one of the few things I miss about CA, is the epic open desert off-roading

We’ll only be about 45 minds inland, some place called Vogt Ranch

OutlawStar

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    Anna
    I have done the drive from Los Angeles to DFW only once solo.
    I've driven from Albuquerque to Detroit. And back. Duo.
    I even drive from DFW to Santa Fe (and back) about once a year.
    The DFW to Santa Fe is almost pleasant driving alone with some good tunes or a couple podcasts. And ultimately for the route is about 30 minutes slower than flying.

If you like driving solo its very long and 2 very full days, or just 3 long days and theres NOTHING to see of interest from west texas until probably San Diego. Nothing was memorable east of LA until about Albuquerque. So your podcasts and playlists better be on point. How old is the suburban (miles) and what could possibly go wrong? Its long straight flat stretches of roads at a steady RPM the entire way.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Pack all your shit up, put it on an LTL or uship op and fly.

Or enjoy the peace of a road trip. In a reliable rental. I *think* you can get a 4Runner as a rental and still ship all crap.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    I have done the drive from Los Angeles to DFW only once solo.
    I've driven from Albuquerque to Detroit. And back. Duo.
    I even drive from DFW to Santa Fe (and back) about once a year.
    The DFW to Santa Fe is almost pleasant driving alone with some good tunes or a couple podcasts. And ultimately for the route is about 30 minutes slower than flying.

If you like driving solo its very long and 2 very full days, or just 3 long days and theres NOTHING to see of interest from west texas until probably San Diego. Nothing was memorable east of LA until about Albuquerque. So your podcasts and playlists better be on point. How old is the suburban (miles) and what could possibly go wrong? Its long straight flat stretches of roads at a steady RPM the entire way.

Yeah I’ve done the drive solo before, I don’t mind it.

Suburban is a good truck. Just two breakdown that I knew were inevitable.

First was the 6L80 torque converter. I knew it was going out, still had a bit of warranty left. Dealer wouldn’t touch it unless it threw a code. So I hastened its demise by pulling a boat to CA on our last trip. It did the trick and I got a new tranny out of it…funny thing is, even when it failed catastrophically, it never did throw a code LOL

Second time the transfer case grenaded. Which happens when your better half doesn’t appreciate the difference between 4Auto, and 4Hi…

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    Gees, last time I made that trip was around Raton, then back on I10 - VW bus pulling a coleman pop-up. At least I didn't need to stop for water at Needles. San Diego zoo used to be real good in the 60s, but too commercial when we went back. Had to visit all her Ca relatives, even to Ojai and San Fran.

Top Bottom