• robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    My Father in Law recently passed. He had a Sig P239 that his wife shot quite a bit - but she has a hell of a time racking it - etc. She wanted an easier pistol for her to deal with and I immediately thought of a Shield EZ. Went to Academy to buy her one (don't give me any straw man shit) and the actually well informed counter guy pointed me to the S&W Guardian. Any thoughts on that?
    Target Sports

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    Haven't handled the Equalizer yet, though I have handled and sold quite a few of the 9 EZ models. Have gotten nothing but positive feedback on them. Depending on grip feel, the newer model should provide the same.

Just watched this vid on YT -

Pistol Pete

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2010
    Texas
    I have an EZ9, it's been great but has a small handle so I will look at the Equalizer as it has a larger handle, I don't like the Latifa name a lot but............................................

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    My Father in Law recently passed. He had a Sig P239 that his wife shot quite a bit - but she has a hell of a time racking it - etc. She wanted an easier pistol for her to deal with and I immediately thought of a Shield EZ. Went to Academy to buy her one (don't give me any straw man shit) and the actually well informed counter guy pointed me to the S&W Guardian. Any thoughts on that?
    I lost hand strength due to a stroke. I found adhering skate board tape to the slides of any of my semis made raking the slide much more manageable.

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    If she has trouble racking the slide (assuming she's using proper technique), then she may also have issues loading a magazine. Might be better to steer her toward a medium-frame revolver.

There are a number of tools on the market to help load magazines. If they have trouble racking the slide they might also have a problem with the double action trigger pull of a revolver.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Good point. That's why most double-action revolvers have single-action capability.
    It's not much easier (and in all reality is probably harder) for a person with weak hand strength to pull back a hammer, then there's the issue of having a very light trigger, and no really safe way to decock it.

a defensive revolver should be treated as a DAO. The single action on a revolver is for target shooters and hunters, not for the frail.

Last edited:

Spcwolf

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 16, 2013
    Conroe tx
    It's not much easier (and in all reality is probably harder) for a person with weak hand strength to pull back a hammer, then there's the issue of having a very light trigger, and no really safe way to decock it.

a defensive revolver should be treated as a DAO. The single action on a revolver is for target shooters and hunters, not for the frail.

That’s why it is acceptable to show weaker individuals that you can fire the DOA revolver with both pointer fingers. Double the strength.

10-96inTexas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2022
    Cooterville
    the EZ magazines are very easy to load, the slide is easy to manipulate, they (9 and .380) are both very safe pistols for older folks and newbies with a grip safety and thumb safety. Not much bad you can say about them. I have the .380

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas

Ruger LCR DAO with nice trigger but not for recoil sensitive in .38 and up.

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    I've handled & sold dozens of EZs to older folks with strength issues the last 2 years. They are a great choice for someone with strength issues. I've also sold several of the new Equilizers since they've been out. They're pretty much the same gun other than the extra mag capacity. The great thing about the Equalizer is they come with 3 mags... 10rnd, 13rnd & 15rnd.

Top Bottom