• robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    I've handled & sold dozens of EZs to older folks with strength issues the last 2 years. They are a great choice for someone with strength issues. I've also sold several of the new Equilizers since they've been out. They're pretty much the same gun other than the extra mag capacity. The great thing about the Equalizer is they come with 3 mags... 10rnd, 13rnd & 15rnd.
    Thanks. I just wonder why the different mags - seems idiotic. I know, I know - the smaller ones might conceal easier. I'd just figure it out and carry 3x15 rounds.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    ?

What are the odds of a woman using a modern 9mm for self-defense having to ‘’rack’’ a slide or having to load a magazine ?

Reading a while back that the average (mean ?) # of shots fired in civilian self-defense is 3.

Just give her a second pistol. . . . .

?

zackmars

Novice Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    That’s why it is acceptable to show weaker individuals that you can fire the DOA revolver with both pointer fingers. Double the strength.

Ruger LCR DAO with nice trigger but not for recoil sensitive in .38 and up.

These do work, a good DAO revolver, or even using two fingers to pull a trigger, but the EZ and equalizer are better mouse traps. They are low recoil, available in common calibers that are effective yet inexpensive.

Given the history with the Sig, it should be easier to jump to another semi, vs a revolver.

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    My Father in Law recently passed. He had a Sig P239 that his wife shot quite a bit - but she has a hell of a time racking it - etc. She wanted an easier pistol for her to deal with and I immediately thought of a Shield EZ. Went to Academy to buy her one (don't give me any straw man shit) and the actually well informed counter guy pointed me to the S&W Guardian. Any thoughts on that?
    No experience with the Equalizer, but I have experience with both the 9mm and .380 versions of the EZ. Both are incredibly easy to rack, are reliable, accurate, and are comfortable to use. The .380 is marginally easier to rack. I would not have any problem recommending them to anyone with arthritis or weak hand strength.

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    These do work, a good DAO revolver, or even using two fingers to pull a trigger, but the EZ and equalizer are better mouse traps. They are low recoil, available in common calibers that are effective yet inexpensive.

Given the history with the Sig, it should be easier to jump to another semi, vs a revolver.
    My Mom was 87 when she gave up her 586. I had honed the trigger for her and bought her some reduced loads. She gave it up due to Dementia not lack of strength.

zackmars

Novice Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    My Mom was 87 when she gave up her 586. I had honed the trigger for her and bought her some reduced loads. She gave it up due to Dementia not lack of strength.
    Not everyone ages the same way. A 586, no matter how nice of a DA pull that gun may have, would be a very poor choice for the OP.

zackmars

Novice Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Mom picked it, I honed it she liked it. …… 4” barrel. She did not want a Semi.
    Thats great. But not a big help for those with poor hand strength.

No matter how nice you make the da pull, it'll still be more strength than doing ANYTHING on the EZ.

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    Thats great. But not a big help for those with poor hand strength.

No matter how nice you make the da pull, it'll still be more strength than doing ANYTHING on the EZ.
    There is a ton of difference between racking a slide and pulling a trigger. Unfortunately I know..Take the Lady to a LGS and let her choose what she is comfortable with.

Last edited:

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    It's not much easier (and in all reality is probably harder) for a person with weak hand strength to pull back a hammer, then there's the issue of having a very light trigger, and no really safe way to decock it.

a defensive revolver should be treated as a DAO. The single action on a revolver is for target shooters and hunters, not for the frail.

1. Pinch hammer between support hand's thumb and forefinger.

2. Press trigger until you feel hammer start to move.

3. Release trigger.

4. Slowly lower hammer until it comes to rest.

Works safely on all revolvers....especially those with transfer-bar safeties.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    <>

Problems with ‘’hand strength’’ are not all the same.

I need water pump pliers to open a milk bottle, but can still operate a 1911.

Yet, those little sealed individual pudding cups give me fits.

Test your individual’s specific strengths & weaknesses before advising.

leVieux

zackmars

Novice Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    1. Pinch hammer between support hand's thumb and forefinger.

2. Press trigger until you feel hammer start to move.

3. Release trigger.

4. Slowly lower hammer until it comes to rest.

Works safely on all revolvers....especially those with transfer-bar safeties.
    The whole "slowly" part is the problem. Better off with the EZ

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Take the Lady to a LGS and let her choose what she is comfortable with.
    Even if someone is asked for recommendations they should never give just one. A short list is appropriate.

Then "Take the Lady to a LGS and let her choose what she is comfortable with." is mandatory.

I've been through this process several times. Sometimes women will pick up what I figure is a very good choice and then put it right back on the counter, saying "That doesn't feel right." In those cases, it's rarely a good idea to ask why. Generally, the newbie of the moment won't be able to articulate even approximately why something doesn't "feel right." If they were to seriously train with the gun for 6 months they might be able to explain why it doesn't feel right. But why spend a lot of time and money on a handgun that, in the end, simply isn't right?

This is one of the few times in life when feelings count more than facts.

Don't fight it; go with it. Ultimately, those feelings translate into more efficient, more enjoyable learning on the part of the newbie.

She wanted an easier pistol for her to deal with and I immediately thought of a Shield EZ. Went to Academy to buy her one...

Your mother in law knows she wants a semi-auto due to past familiarity. So forget revolvers and show her around the semis. The online gun media has written lots of articles over that last few years on the subject of easy-to-rack semis. Try here, here, here and here. If she handles all the semi-autos on those lists, even without firing a shot you should be able to narrow your list down to 2, maybe 3, where her initial reaction was "I like this; it feels <right/good/whatever>."

Two magazines through each and the best choice should make itself known to her.

Additional resources that may be of help can be found here, here, and here.

Personal note 1
    - I have an H&K P7. It's the softest-recoiling semi-compact 9mm I've ever fired. That gas-delayed blowback system is marvelous, even if it requires more frequent and more scrupulous cleaning that I prefer. I've always wondered if I could find a cheaper pistol that works on the same principle. Well, the Walther CCP M2, shown on more than one list in the links above, does, indeed, use that system. I have held a couple but never shot one. It feels great in my hand, even if the finger groove is slightly irritating. Walther is using as a major advertising claim that it's an "easy to rack" design. Most reviewers seem to agree, some are lukewarm toward that claim.

I'm not saying the CCP M2 (the M2,not the first-gen model) is the pistol for her but I strongly suggest it wind up on your short list of recommendations. She might immediately reject it because of the less-than-perfect trigger or the somewhat larger size or just the overall feel. But between it and the S&W models mentioned by several folk in this thread, I think she'll probably like at least one of them.

Personal note 2 - I went through making this medium-length post because you mentioned buying the pistol for her. Some of the saddest cases of gun gifting I've ever seen were when someone considered what a person needed and then bought that person that perfect pistol. That the recipient never shot. Because it didn't "feel right." I've been gifted guns in the past when I wanted to blurt out "Why'd you get me this piece of junk?" but, instead, had to be graciously polite and appreciative.

Shooters need to hold a pistol before it's bought. It would be a shame if you gifted her a pistol and were then forced to carefully read the store refund policy. That's never fun.

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    Even if someone is asked for recommendations they should never give just one. A short list is appropriate.

Then "Take the Lady to a LGS and let her choose what she is comfortable with." is mandatory.

I've been through this process several times. Sometimes women will pick up what I figure is a very good choice and then put it right back on the counter, saying "That doesn't feel right." In those cases, it's rarely a good idea to ask why. Generally, the newbie of the moment won't be able to articulate even approximately why something doesn't "feel right." If they were to seriously train with the gun for 6 months they might be able to explain why it doesn't feel right. But why spend a lot of time and money on a handgun that, in the end, simply isn't right?

Don't fight it; go with it. Ultimately, those feelings translate into more efficient, more enjoyable learning on the part of the newbie.

Your mother in law knows she wants a semi-auto due to past familiarity. So forget revolvers and show her around the semis. The online gun media has written lots of articles over that last few years on the subject of easy-to-rack semis. Try here, here, here and here. If she handles all the semi-autos on those lists, even without firing a shot you should be able to narrow your list down to 2, maybe 3, where her initial reaction was "I like this; it feels <right/good/whatever>."

Personal note 1 - I have an H&K P7. It's the softest-recoiling semi-compact 9mm I've ever fired. That gas-delayed blowback system is marvelous, even if it requires more frequent and more scrupulous cleaning that I prefer. I've always wondered if I could find a cheaper pistol that works on the same principle. Well, the Walther CCP M2, shown on more than one list in the links above, does, indeed, use that system. I have held a couple but never shot one. It feels great in my hand, even if the finger groove is slightly irritating. Walther is using as a major advertising claim that it's an "easy to rack" design. Most reviewers seem to agree, some are lukewarm toward that claim.

I'm not saying the CCP M2 (the M2,not the first-gen model) is the pistol for her but I strongly suggest it wind up on your short list of recommendations. She might immediately reject it because of the less-than-perfect trigger or the somewhat larger size or just the overall feel. But between it and the S&W models mentioned by several folk in this thread, I think she'll probably like at least one of them.

Personal note 2 - I went through making this medium-length post because you mentioned buying the pistol for her. Some of the saddest cases of gun gifting I've ever seen were when someone considered what a person needed and then bought that person that perfect pistol. That the recipient never shot. Because it didn't "feel right." I've been gifted guns in the past when I wanted to blurt out "Why'd you get me this piece of junk?" but, instead, had to be graciously polite and appreciative.

Shooters need to hold a pistol before it's bought. It would be a shame if you gifted her a pistol and were then forced to carefully read the store refund policy. That's never fun.
    I have helped several shooters choose a 1st pistol or choose a different option because of some major change in their abilities. There’s one thing all those situations had in common. Your definition of right fit and theirs will be totally different. This situation is like buying shoes for your wife, or a purse.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos

Personal note 1 - I have an H&K P7. It's the softest-recoiling semi-compact 9mm I've ever fired. That gas-delayed blowback system is marvelous, even if it requires more frequent and more scrupulous cleaning that I prefer. I've always wondered if I could find a cheaper pistol that works on the same principle. Well, the Walther CCP M2, shown on more than one list in the links above, does, indeed, use that system. I have held a couple but never shot one. It feels great in my hand, even if the finger groove is slightly irritating. Walther is using as a major advertising claim that it's an "easy to rack" design. Most reviewers seem to agree, some are lukewarm toward that claim.

#1 - Heck yeah - I've shot it. Tried to buy one a couple of times and the seller either bailed on me, or it was just too pricey.
    #2 - I get it. I completely understand that point, and I would never just buy her a gun because I thought it was a good fit. To be more precise, I plan on selling a pistol my father in law previously owned, and help her find a pistol that fits her better.

I've bought so many over the years that look good on paper, then they just don't click with me. CZ-75's, Beretta PX4's, 92F whatever etc. I at least consider myself fortunate enough to go through those growing pains. You're going to make me go all Marie Kondo on my safe!

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    You're going to make me go all Marie Kondo on my safe!
    I'm in the middle of that. That's why I've made a few posts in the classifieds over the past few months. And more will come.

Good luck with your journey on this particular problem.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    I'm in the middle of that. That's why I've made a few posts in the classifieds over the past few months. And more will come.

Good luck with your journey on this particular problem.
    <>

But, every single time I’ve sold a piece I thought I’d never use again; Oh No, I needed it !

Right now, folks had better be thinking ‘’Will ammo for this be available?’’

leVieux

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rod99
    Top Bottom