DK Firearms

SAXET gun show - review - is asking how many guns you sold a rude question?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    If you don’t approach it as a social experience and a social experiment, you have missed the point.

Think carnival or circus and enjoy the show.

On occasion, you will learn something from a historian or an expert. Usually, you will hear someone so unfamiliar with firearms or firearms “legalities” that the price of admission is worth the laugh! Once in a blue moon, you will encounter a rare find. Normally, you will come FTF with a neck beard A-hole that you can fart around with and cause him great exasperation if you have the skill-set!

I actually BUY the jerky and sometimes the other oddities offered.

Go, or don’t.

But stop bitching about it when you know what to expect and I’ve already seen most of you there, anyway!

alterspaces

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2024
    Corpus Christi
    Fortunately, they were not single word posts. Unfortunately, this one was a doozie.
    Actually I was really was hoping to contribute some of my experiences, not necessarily to hit 25 posts. Maybe it's not appreciated or you guys think I'm weird, but that's really how I am, been completely genuine since post 1.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Well hey man, that's impressive and congrats.

Thanks, but not really. There's a book you might want to pick up and read, but for the life of me I can't recall the title, and I loaned my copy decades ago, never to be returned.....it dealt with the journey of a guy that learned how to make a deal on almost anything - from horses to real estate - mostly by understanding how to evaluate value and make an offer without insulting the buyer. The best training I could suggest is to go to flea markets and try to put deals together WITHOUT making the seller upset/angry, yet get them down to the bottom dollar. My technique doesn't work for everyone, but the guy that taught ME had a technique I failed miserably at, LOL!
    The main thing is, NEVER insult 'em in any fashion. If a deal can't be made, place the blame on yourself, say you hope you can make something work the next time, and shake their hand before moving on. You'd be surprised how that can help in the future.

alterspaces

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2024
    Corpus Christi
    You obviously didn't try the Kettle Korn and a glass of hot dog water.
    It's the reason the parking lots are always full.
    Is hot dog water a thing? I saw pickle juice, but not hot dog water. Frankly, I don't see the appeal of pickle juice either.

did you hear the taser go off every 30 seconds?
    I think I did actually. The second time I went, I already zoned it out though.

DaBull

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 19, 2021
    San Antonio, TX
    Actually I was really was hoping to contribute some of my experiences, not necessarily to hit 25 posts. Maybe it's not appreciated or you guys think I'm weird, but that's really how I am, been completely genuine since post 1.
    Its appreciated. I read your entire post. The longer you are here the more you will understand why some folks are posting odd comments that only veteran members understand.

For example, the 25 post comment refers to newbies who join, pump out 25 quick single word posts like "Agree"..."Yes"..."9mm" in response to other's posts in order to hit the magic post count number 25, which then allows you to advertise in the classifieds.

Personally, I don't think this applies to you because this "doozie" could have been broken up into three separate posts that could stand on their own.

Keep posting as you please. Individual members can change this forum as much as the forum can change them.

EDIT: Of course, it probably didn't help that your Intro post mentioned your desire to sell...

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    I think his commentary should count for the full 25 required!

He took the time, thought, and effort to actually contribute and simulate a conversation.

Memo for Record: Don’t mention “selling” In introductory posts…

PinnedandRecessed

Allegedly
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 11, 2019
    Hays County
    Asking how many guns a table has sold is like walking up to a random guy and asking them how much money they make, how much they pay in taxes, and if their wife is a good lay. NOT recommended.

If you must, consider "How's business this morning". They can give you as specific or as non specific an answer as they are comfortable with. If you asked me, I'd raise an eyebrow and put you down as a red flag.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    There was a time when gun shows were fun. You could get dealers bidding against each other and sometimes walk away with a nice prize. Sometimes dealers would pick up bargains at other shows and you could get them cheap just so the guy could make a quick buck to cover his table costs. Ammo was cheap if you were willing to buy in bulk. Those days are gone, and they're gone because of all the reasons other posters have cited. I still like to go just to look at stuff. Every once in a while you'll see a real oddity and that makes for a fun day.

I will say that sometimes you can cut a deal if you're doing some trading. I had a rifle I won at a dinner and I found a guy who had a pistol I wanted. A bit of haggling and we came to a trade with a bit of cash to even things out. I had talked to several dealers about just selling the rifle and they were either low-balling it or not interested at all. It's a bit like having a trade-in at a car dealership.

I would add that asking people how many guns they've sold is probably a bit rude. If I had a table, I probably would have told you to move along. Just my $0.02.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Haven't thought about SAXET since they closed their long-running San Antonio show over a year ago!

They still claim to have a show in the Alamo City on their website ("We’re proud to host shows in San Antonio, McAllen, and Corpus Christi on a rotating basis throughout the year."), you'd think they would have fixed that by now!

Honestly, your novel of a write-up was just too much for me to read given I have little interest in the topic. Having been going to gun shows for quite some time now, I think I have a pretty good feel for what they're like.

There are deals to be found at gun shows, and opportunities to negotiate. You just have to know when and where to spot them!

alterspaces

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2024
    Corpus Christi
    For example, the 25 post comment refers to newbies who join, pump out 25 quick single word posts like "Agree"..."Yes"..."9mm" in response to other's posts in order to hit the magic post count number 25, which then allows you to advertise in the classifieds.

EDIT: Of course, it probably didn't help that your Intro post mentioned your desire to sell...
    Alright well thanks, I get it now, it looked like I was just trying to get my 25 posts so I can post a classified. Well I was, but at the same time I have a lot of thoughts about my experience with the gun culture that I never talk to anybody about so I wanted to finally get it all out there to at least make my posts meaningful and get some opinions from people in the circle.

I think his commentary should count for the full 25 required!

He took the time, thought, and effort to actually contribute and simulate a conversation.

Memo for Record: Don’t mention “selling” In introductory posts…
    Thanks, sadly I don't tend to hide much so I put it all out there, even the bad stuff. I get it now though.

Hope you guys found the review interesting at least!

alterspaces

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2024
    Corpus Christi
    I dont know who told you that gun shows have cheap guns, but it must've been pretty crazy to talk to a time traveler from 1993
    Nobody told me, it was from youtube videos I watched in 2016 or 2017 that showed some quick and dirty side deals and I thought that was cool. I also expected them to be cheaper because they were used guns and the purpose (in my opinion) of setting up a table was to sell, but now I see it's moreso just to display and maybe sell.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Nobody told me, it was from youtube videos I watched in 2016 or 2017 that showed some quick and dirty side deals and I thought that was cool. I also expected them to be cheaper because they were used guns and the purpose (in my opinion) of setting up a table was to sell, but now I see it's moreso just to display and maybe sell.

Panics, gun control laws, the internet, fudds, covid have all ruined gun shows

You can find deals very rarely, it doesn't help if youre looking for anything more specific than "a gun"

Lead Belly

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    Lake Conroe
    Welcome to Texas. What part of California did you say you were from? Is a pretty State, for sure.

Top Bottom