• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jonevill

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2021
    Texas City
    I am considering letting my drivers license expire next year since I no longer drive. If I do that, will it affect my being able to renew my LTC?
    Texas SOT

tedwitt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Magnolia, Texas
    I am considering letting my drivers license expire next year since I no longer drive. If I do that, will it affect my being able to renew my LTC?
    My question is, what kind of license do you have. Just a regular car license you can do on the computer, it's a good idea to have that just in case, you never know. No I don't think it would interfere with you renewing you LTC. I would definitely renew the LTC just in case you were to be in a different state, you want to be legal.
    I'm 69 years old, my doctor retired me from driving 18 wheelers in 2021 after a 17 year old caused me to total my Escalade. My license is Federal so I can't renew online, I must renew in person. Mine cost $100.00. I will renew both of my licenses just in case. JMHO

tedwitt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Magnolia, Texas
    I used to travel for work several times a month for over a decade, and couldn't carry. I wasn't overly uncomfortable but I also knew it only took one instance where I needed a weapon and didn't have one...
    I carried for several years driving 18 wheelers over the road, DOT never said a word. An 18 wheeler is considered your home away from home, in other words, it's your castle, you can carry it in the truck, do not take it out of the truck or you become a guest of that state, BUT, that was before we had handgun license.

DocBeech

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2023
    Paradise
    I carried for several years driving 18 wheelers over the road, DOT never said a word. An 18 wheeler is considered your home away from home, in other words, it's your castle, you can carry it in the truck, do not take it out of the truck or you become a guest of that state, BUT, that was before we had handgun license.
    This falls into the area of who owns the vehicle. Labor Code Title 2 Subtitle B Chapter 52 Subchapter G Section 52.062 "
    Sec. 52.062. EXCEPTIONS. (a) Section 52.061 does not: (1) authorize a person who holds a license to carry a handgun under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code ... 2) apply to: (A) a vehicle owned or leased by a public or private employer and used by an employee in the course and scope of the employee's employment, unless the employee is required to transport or store a firearm in the official discharge of the employee's duties...." https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/Docs/LA/htm/LA.52.htm

In short if the company owns the vehicle they can prevent you from carrying a firearm in the vehicle. If you own the vehicle they cannot.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    <>

IANAL

&

I don’t know how applicable this may be; but, some years back the LA State Legislature passed a 1000’ school zone “weapons-free zone“ law.

Then the federal court told them that they couldn’t enforce it unless they drew & publicized detailed maps of those “zones”.

The law also carried the usual “unless otherwise authorized’’ exclusion.

The same federal court then told them that a State-issued CHL/LTC constituted the “otherwise” authorization.

We never heard from that Law again. . . . . . . .

<>

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Aside from Reciprocity your LTC allows you to:
    • Carry within 1000ft of a school (this is federal law). Must have an LTC to be within 1000ft of a public school while carrying a firearm.
    • When coupled with a Letter from US Army Corps of Engineers, it allows you to carry at the recreational area/lakes controlled by USACE. 31 major lakes in Texas are covered under this Federal Law. (Note you need a LTC and Letter of Permission).
    • Skip any waiting periods to buy a firearm.
    • Concealed carry at the State Capital. (Cannot with permit-less).
    • Concealed carry at the State Fair of Texas. (Cannot with permit-less).
    • Counts as a legal form of ID. (Can also have your Veteran Status and count as a legal Veteran ID).
    This is just a couple of the benefits.
    Good list.

I'll add one more. When traveling abroad with guns, plenty of places more or less expect travelers to have some sort of firearms license. No such thing is required; every country has procedures for traveling with firearms when you're from some place like the USA where everybody is NOT required to have a license.

Still, having an LTC can help smooth over things when going through customs. Plenty of places figure if you have a license to carry a concealed weapon, you must either be totally above-board or exceedingly well-connected, depending on local culture. Either way, things go smoother.

At least, that's what I've been told by folks I know who shoot pistol matches in Europe.

DocBeech

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2023
    Paradise
    Good list.

I'll add one more. When traveling abroad with guns, plenty of places more or less expect travelers to have some sort of firearms license. No such thing is required; every country has procedures for traveling with firearms when you're from some place like the USA where everybody is NOT required to have a license.

Still, having an LTC can help smooth over things when going through customs. Plenty of places figure if you have a license to carry a concealed weapon, you must either be totally above-board or exceedingly well-connected, depending on local culture. Either way, things go smoother.

At least, that's what I've been told by folks I know who shoot pistol matches in Europe.
    It has also been found to help if you end up defending yourself. It has been proven that Jurys see it as a step in a responsible direction and it can be favorable for you.

Roscoe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    Magnolia
    Mine is up for renewal in February. Got the notice in a week or so before Thanksgiving. Sent in for my renewal last week.

tedwitt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Magnolia, Texas
    I cruise from time to time, I leave my weapon at home.
    Being a Truck Driver over 50 years, having my Handgun License has smoothed things over several times in other states, Mine comes up for renewal in 1 1/2 years, the same time my CDL needs renewed. The wife says why renew your CDL and LTC? I say, why not. I may need to help recover a truck for a friend, I'm dang sure gonna be armed.

What does it cost for LTC now??

Top Bottom