• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    I was really just going over the top to drive home a point. Everybody with much character should be patriotic to their country - regardless of where they live. Without a little feeling for your motherland, you are a pretty empty soul. In the 1960s we started to see a real erosion of patriotism, and that has continued to this day.

In answer to your question: Yes I believe someone who has defended our country at war is a patriot. The only qualifier I'd like to add to that is the FACT that we haven't had anybody fight to defend our country since the 1940s. Korea, Vietnam, Iraq 1 and 2, Afghanistan, Libya, etc are simply examples of us acting like the world police. These were not (and are not) wars where Americans are defending their country. They are political bullshit.

AND over 4400 families have lost a loved one in Iraq this round - for nothing.

If somebody wants to go in the armed forces just for college money and is willing to go get shot at for it... he's a frikkin idiot. In case the dumbasses haven't noticed (and most haven't), we have this thing called a job here in the states that does not require being shot at in most cases.

I have two son in laws who have each spent two tours in Iraq. One is going back to the sandbox somewhere in January for another round. They are good patriotic boys.
    DK Firearms

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    They have a right - as much as we object - to not stand. However, if their stated reason is because they support another country or foreign law (e.g., sharia), then by all means let's send them (one-way) to Mexico or Somalia or whatever.

Rum Runner

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Plano
    I support their right to not stand for the flag. And if it were my kid, that might happen ONCE. Not enough parents like me. But, its a parent issue, not a school issue. Part of the problem with schools is we expect them to be parents.

AcidFlashGordon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Personally I think the little shits should have had their asses warmed for them. But, the reality of the situation is that they do have the right to not stand for the Pledge of Allegiance, as distasteful and disgusting as it seems to many of us who grew up saying that same pledge.

As for military and civilian personnel on a military base running to cover so they don't have to salute or stand with their hand over their heart...THAT pisses me off no end. I was never so glad when legislation was passed that allows veterans the right to salute the flag even when they're no longer in the military or in uniform. I took that oath to "protect and defend the Constitution of the United States from all enemies, foreign and domestic" and in my eyes, our flag represents this country and is a symbol of that oath I took all those years ago.

The Mayor

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I was really just going over the top to drive home a point. Everybody with much character should be patriotic to their country - regardless of where they live. Without a little feeling for your motherland, you are a pretty empty soul. In the 1960s we started to see a real erosion of patriotism, and that has continued to this day.

In answer to your question: Yes I believe someone who has defended our country at war is a patriot. The only qualifier I'd like to add to that is the FACT that we haven't had anybody fight to defend our country since the 1940s. Korea, Vietnam, Iraq 1 and 2, Afghanistan, Libya, etc are simply examples of us acting like the world police. These were not (and are not) wars where Americans are defending their country. They are political bullshit.

AND over 4400 families have lost a loved one in Iraq this round - for nothing.

If somebody wants to go in the armed forces just for college money and is willing to go get shot at for it... he's a frikkin idiot. In case the dumbasses haven't noticed (and most haven't), we have this thing called a job here in the states that does not require being shot at in most cases.

I have two son in laws who have each spent two tours in Iraq. One is going back to the sandbox somewhere in January for another round. They are good patriotic boys.

I guess Im a frikkin idiot. Cause i joined for college and this thing that i do pays the bills, and i have spent 6 years of my career in the sand box. Being shot at could happen to anyone any time. I dont expect you understand that. I was just making my point that we have the right to complain, and defend what we belivie in. What would you do if your kid came to you and said Dad I want to become muslim or Dad I'm Gay or Dad I belivie guns kill and we should bann them. Would you turn your back on them or support them? The 2 kids who didnt want to stand probably are lazy and are dumb just like alot of us where back in school. Thats the part of growing up.

lalonguecarabine

A legend in my own mind!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Houston
    This bullshit pisses me off on SO many levels, I almost can't form a coherent thought.

The parents should have instilled respect for their community (including their nation). They failed!
    The administrators should have established a certain standard of conduct and enforced it (ie: Stand your ass up for The Colors!). They failed!
    Their peers should have BEAT THEIR MOTHERFUCKING TRAITOROUS ASSES!!!!!! And they FAILED!

I'm just gonna shut up and forget this shit before I break my damn keyboard!

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    I guess Im a frikkin idiot. Cause i joined for college and this thing that i do pays the bills, and i have spent 6 years of my career in the sand box. Being shot at could happen to anyone any time. I dont expect you understand that. I was just making my point that we have the right to complain, and defend what we belivie in. What would you do if your kid came to you and said Dad I want to become muslim or Dad I'm Gay or Dad I belivie guns kill and we should bann them. Would you turn your back on them or support them? The 2 kids who didnt want to stand probably are lazy and are dumb just like alot of us where back in school. Thats the part of growing up.

We will just have to agree to disagree. I stand by every word I posted. If you really just joined the armed forces "just for college" I don't have a ton of respect for that.

HOWEVER. I suspect there is some patriotism in you somewhere and I do thank you for serving our country.

Our "rights to freedom" are not guaranteed 24/7. Try telling your commander you don't think you want to do whatever he wants sometime. When we work, we are under rules that may very well be counter to what we believe. There are rules in place and the people who run the joint have the right to enforce them. The same can be said for schools. They are funded by the government on several levels and you are not free to do as you please when you please. Rules are in place. One of those rules should be standing for the Pledge. Punishment should be handed out accordingly or these little pieces of human shit should be sent home.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2011
    Richardson
    todays kids+teen has surprised me a lot!! More of them now do not show respect, and beleive respect is a given right. Around here you earn respect by your actions it can be negative or positive. I'm still not 21 and this little kids+ teens think they are all grown, some how, some way along this kids lost brain cells or something. I blame their parents, helicopter parents, too involved, not enough involved, etc.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I don't think they are idealistic enough to stand up for their rights, in fact, most kids don't even know their rights. This sounds more like an act of rebellion against the system (schools) than a transgression against the flag. If I was the teacher, I would ask them to stand, if they chose not to I would make them write an essay as to why they are not standing, and quote specific rights enumerated by the Constitution or Supreme Court rulings that support their reasons for not standing.

I would win ... only because I am a bigger smart-ass than these punk kids.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    What would you do if your kid came to you and said Dad I want to become muslim

I would get asked ... "Why" in a very sarcastic tone.

What would you do if your kid came to you and said Dad I'm Gay

Not going to happen ... ever. No homo here, women just look too damn good and there's plenty of them.

What would you do if your kid came to you and said Dad I belivie guns kill and we should bann them.

Considering I started this site ... I think he'd have me committed to a drug rehab program, or I'd just get laughed at.

Would you turn your back on them or support them? The 2 kids who didnt want to stand probably are lazy and are dumb just like alot of us where back in school. Thats the part of growing up.

I probably would have caught shit for this ... mostly on the basis of being an ass for no real reason, since I wouldn't do it out of disrespect.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    OK....let me ask another related question.

In my area it is common to stand for the pledge to the American flag, followed by the pledge to the Texas flag.

How can one pledge allegiance to two flags? This is common in Texas and has never made any sense to me.

(I now consider the pot sufficiently stirred.)

lalonguecarabine

A legend in my own mind!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Houston
    I come to the forums this afternoon to find that I've been labeled as "Skeeter junior".

Yeah. I went a bit over the top on that one. I was in a pissy mood last night.
    I still think their peers should have pushed them around a bit for being little douches. But whatever.

I'm "over it".

lalonguecarabine

A legend in my own mind!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Houston
    What would you do if your kid came to you and said Dad I want to become muslim
    I thought to myself: "Shitstorm imminent!
    I would get asked ... "Why" in a very sarcastic tone.
    Whew.
    What would you do if your kid came to you and said Dad I'm Gay
    ...at this point, I loled!
    Not going to happen ... ever. No homo here, women just look too damn good and there's plenty of them.
    And then, I loled HARDER!!!
    What would you do if your kid came to you and said Dad I belivie guns kill and we should bann them.
    Considering I started this site ... I think he'd have me committed to a drug rehab program, or I'd just get laughed at.
    I'm going with the "laughed at".
    Would you turn your back on them or support them? The 2 kids who didnt want to stand probably are lazy and are dumb just like alot of us where back in school. Thats the part of growing up.
    I probably would have caught shit for this ... mostly on the basis of being an ass for no real reason, since I wouldn't do it out of disrespect.

Reading the initial post just plain entertained me. I was disappointed when zembonez didn't answer him point by point.
    But then I come on this afternoon and see El Guapo's "rebuttal".

I'll be laughing about this all day!

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I am surprised at some of the posts here and expected something else entirely. I can tell you how it would be handled at my house.....

If my kid disrespected his nation and our flag like those two shits did, things would change dramatically for him. As his Father, I owe him "three hots and a cot" as the "Tough Love" program puts it. That is precisely what he would get and nothing more. I served as a "Tough Love" alternate living home for a while and handled some violent and out of control teens. I gave them nothing that they didn't earn by following the rules.........MY RULES! They got "three hots and a cot" because they deserve that. Anything else was earned by proper behavior. You say they have rights. Fine! Freedom comes at a cost and the little Bastard would be paying the price at my house. Don't like it? Hit the F----ing door and don't look back.

My home was a Hell hole and I hit the door and never went back at 17. I've been on my own since I was 17YO, made some good and bad decisions, reaped the rewards or suffered the consequences. My patriotism has been solid since I was a small boy. I love this country and will tear the living shxt out of anyone who harms her. I'll stand up for her without hesitation.

Malcom X wasn't my favorite person but I gotta hand it to him, he died for what he believed in as he was murdered in the front yard of his home. He said "A man who stands for nothing will fall for anything." He wasn't talking about standing on his feet. Right or wrong, you knew exactly how he felt

Flash

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    When in Rome, do as the Romans, in America do as the real Americans...a boot in the @ss to they who do not comply ! "But I have rights" ! Rights my hind end, you are just seeking attention for some leftist, religion, or other nutty idea !!!!! Stand up and be proud rather than being a gonadless chinless Charley !!!!

Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    Alrighty now. Time for some dissenting views.....
    But, before I do, let me throw in my caveats.
    1. I'm a vet and am proud to have served my country.
    2. I fully believe in showing respect to the flag and the anthem because of what they represent TO ME.

Now, for my dissent.
    1. Somebody implied that if you don't have any sense of patriotism, then you are less of a person. I'm just curious if that is only because you live in the US? What if you were a British or French or Chinese citizen? Would it apply then? Or only because this is the US?
    2. I've always felt that forcing everybody to pledge their allegiance to something is completely against the entire concept of freedom. Again, if you grew up in China and were forced to do this, would you still feel the same way. Kinda like mind control.
    3. What is it about the flag or this country that you so strongly feel loyal to? If you are like me, it is the history and founding of what this country was based on that I believe. But, do I feel any sense of loyalty to our current administration? Or our current federal government as a whole? Or the government in general over the last few decades? I think many will agree that our government is filled with corruption, does not support our liberty, and it has been this way for quite a while. What if these children were to argue that the flag represents our government or our country today and that they will not swear allegiance to it because they believe it is a corrupt system. Would it be okay then?

I believe these kids are probably just a bunch of punks. Their parents are probably lacking in parental development. But blind assumptions or blind allegiance to anything is bad. Including a flag.

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    One should not have to be forced to be patriotic toward their country.

We could always cut their throats. I figure a few people bleeding out on the gym floor in front of the student body would likely do the job.

If these little shits don't have enough patriotism to appreciate what this country has done for them, let em die...
    End of problem.

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    i like #3 Mic, and agree with your posting.

i however still say the pledge of allegiance most mornings after i say my prayers.

Though i have no love for the Fed, i still love the country. i would have to respect someones decision to not stand for or participate int he pledge. though in this case, i wonder what their motives are? i mean if they are just lazy punks or insolent bastards who just what to be different, whatever. this is the least of our problems as a nation. and i cant believe i spent time writing this post.

lol

Top Bottom