• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jodster

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    San Antonio
    Hi, I'm completely new in pistols and I've finally narrowed down my choices. Its either between the glock 19, m&p 9, sig2022, or fnp 9. I've held and shot all of them except for the fn p. If I could, I would pick them all up but unfortunately I don't have that much disposable cash. If yall had to choose just one, which one would yall go with? Its mainly going to be a range gun/target practice/plinking. Also if anyone knows of any good deal on these guns, lemme know so I can jump on it

I was also debating whether or not i should just go on and buy one of the ones listed above in .40s&w and then get a conversion barrel so it'll be cheaper for practice...but still have the choice of a bigger caliber if i ever decide to get a chl.

Let me know what you think
    Capitol Armory ad

deafdave

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    First of all, a 9mm is a very good choice for SD. There's nothing a .40 can do that a 9mm can't. In fact, its the opposite. There is something that a 9 can do that a .40 can't.

As for handguns, consider adding a Bersa BP9cc to your list. I think you would like it. Just a suggestion.

macshooter

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2012
    EL Chuco
    Hi, I'm completely new in pistols and I've finally narrowed down my choices. Its either between the glock 19, m&p 9, sig2022, or fnp 9. I've held and shot all of them except for the fn p. If I could, I would pick them all up but unfortunately I don't have that much disposable cash. If yall had to choose just one, which one would yall go with? Its mainly going to be a range gun/target practice/plinking. Also if anyone knows of any good deal on these guns, lemme know so I can jump on it

I was also debating whether or not i should just go on and buy one of the ones listed above in .40s&w and then get a conversion barrel so it'll be cheaper for practice...but still have the choice of a bigger caliber if i ever decide to get a chl.

Let me know what you think

I don't have any experience with any of the ones you have listed save for the Glock, (mine is 10mm, but they are pretty much all the same) But you have the right idea getting the 40 and then getting a 9mm conversion barrel to have the best of both worlds. Just remember to change recoil springs out too when you switch calibers.

I really like my XDm, I would recommend it over a glock any day. Mainly because of better ergonomics, ambi-mag release, better slide release, better take down mechanism (can field strip without having to pull the trigger) grip inserts, plus a nicer heavier duty case with paddle holster included. You always hear good things about Sig, and the M&P. Don't know about the FNP, except they look damn nice with an Osprey can on the end, and I'd like to have one in .45 with a Burris fastfire.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Glock 19. Out of those listed, it's the only one that has a 33rd mag available for it. You may not need it. Or you might enjoy not having to reload so much when your plinking.

smtimelevi

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    San Antonio
    I would say if you dont plan on carrying it get the Glock 17 instead of the 19. I have a Glock 17 and it carries just fine. Higher capacity and a slightly longer sight radius than the 19. The M&P has a much better grip on it but the Glock beats it in the trigger department, they're both about the same price. Never shot the sig 2022 but Ive handled a few. The sig 2022's are nice guns and you can find one with night sights for the same price as the Glock or the M&P. Extra Magazines for the 2022 are expensive and hard to find.

Shooter McGavin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2012
    Free Texas
    I can only comment on the G19, I've bought, sold and traded many of handguns over the years and it's one of very few I've kept. I think SIG offers some sort of a two gun package deal, it comes with everything you need to switch between calibers.

TXDARKHORSE361

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    I can only comment on the G19, I've bought, sold and traded many of handguns over the years and it's one of very few I've kept. I think SIG offers some sort of a two gun package deal, it comes with everything you need to switch between calibers.

You're thinking of the P250, I have the full size 9mm version of it and I like it a lot, the fire control group is serialized and comes out of the receiver which is what makes it able to switch around, they offer a wide variety of different frames, slides and barrels (looking into the compact 9mm frame myself). The package you're referring to is called the 2sum, which includes the full size 9mm frame and slide and the sub compact 9mm frame and slide, really cool package got mine in a trade.

jodster

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    San Antonio
    I feel like the only downside to the glock 17 is I can't seem to find a good deal anywhere. I heard GT Distributors in Austin were selling used LEO/military g19 gen4 for $350 but haven't gotten the chance to check it out.

dalto

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2010
    Austin
    I have shot all those guns except for the sig 2022. Of the other three, the glock 17, the m&p 9mm and the fnp 9 I can speak to.

The Glock and the m&p are somewhat similar guns. Both are striker fired polymer pistols. The glock 19 is smaller and has a better trigger from the factory. The m&p is bigger, has better sights and has a more traditional grip angle. I own both these guns and have thousands of rounds through them. I can honestly say that they are both great guns. Other guns that are similar to these two include the Springfield XD/XDm and the FNH FNX

The fnp is a bit different because it has a double action single action trigger. If you like guns with DA/SA triggers this is a good option. Off the top of my head I can't think of a polymer da/sa gun I like better than the fnp/fnx series. It points well and is very comfortable for me.

My personal preference is the M&P 9mm. I like this gun a lot, especially if you put some of the apex drop in parts in.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    I feel like the only downside to the glock 17 is I can't seem to find a good deal anywhere. I heard GT Distributors in Austin were selling used LEO/military g19 gen4 for $350 but haven't gotten the chance to check it out.

This place is the cheapest for new. They might have some used Glocks:

budsgunshop.com

Free shipping on most stuff.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    The G19 gets a complete "thumbs up" from me. Another pistol that no one even talks about is the Ruger P-95. You might check into it as it's a lot cheaper than the Glock. These guys know that I like the S&W Sigma but it does have a difficult trigger pull. My favorite 9mm's are any of the Ruger "P" series pistols. I'll give those two thumbs up!

Flash

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Of your choices, the G19 is what I would go for. Depending on your price point, some other really good options are the HK P30... several trigger options, and the Walther PPQ. The HK will cost about 200 more than the G19 and PPQ, but it is a really nice pistol, and it will retain that value if you ever go to sell it. Strictly for target/range, the PPQ is hard to beat. Much more ergonomic than the Glock and I think it has the best striker fired trigger out of the box you can find. Some don't like it for carry, as it is a very light trigger, but personally I don't have an issue with that as long as you use to proper handling indiscipline.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    All those you mentioned are good guns. Can't go wrong with any of them. I've either owned or shot all of them except the FNP 9 (which I hear is also a good gun!). Go shoot or at least feel of all of them and get the one that works best for you. If I was choosing right now I'd go with the .............. ah............... don't know! I wouldn't choose the FN or the Sig only because they have the de-cocker action and I prefer either the striker fired (double action type) or a single action, nothing in between. But that's just me.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Which one feels better in your hand? They are all good choices and good guns so it comes down to preference. I personally like Glocks.

I see G17s and G19s all the time on texasguntrader.com. Problem is they hold their value well so a used one goes for almost the same as a new one.

macshooter

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2012
    EL Chuco
    I like the looks of the PPQ. I need to get my hands on one some time. Don't forget the good old CZ75. That's one of the most comfortable grips ever IMO. They make them with polymer frames.

kabob

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    Dallas
    I wouldn't choose any of them. I would have gotten a CZ 75 or SP-01 if I wanted a full-size or in a compact a 75c, P-01 or PCR. Even with my H&Ks that I love so much, polymers don't beat the solidity, balance and stability of a metal-frame gun. And CZ makes some of the best. I also would consider one of the metal Berettas, as well.

jodster

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    San Antonio
    All those you mentioned are good guns. Can't go wrong with any of them. I've either owned or shot all of them except the FNP 9 (which I hear is also a good gun!). Go shoot or at least feel of all of them and get the one that works best for you. If I was choosing right now I'd go with the .............. ah............... don't know! I wouldn't choose the FN or the Sig only because they have the de-cocker action and I prefer either the striker fired (double action type) or a single action, nothing in between. But that's just me.

I've tried out all kinds of 9mm handguns. The ones I listed were the ones that felt/shot the best to me. I guess its pretty much down to the best deal I can get now. haha, such a hard decision.

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Heart of Texas
    The XDm 4.5 would be the way to go if you want to add a 9mm conversion barrel. In .40 S&W the XDm has a fully supported chamber whereas the Glock doesn't although Gen 4s are better in this regard than the early generation Glocks in .40 S&W. Other features of the XDm include a relieved ejection port which Glock has failed to provide in any of their pistols. The XDm comes with 3 interchangeable backstraps that will allow you to fit the pistol to your hand. It also comes with a "Match Grade" barrel and most owners report excellent accuracy. If you want to shoot IDPA or USPSA then there's the XDm 5.25 Competition model. Personally, I have the 4.5 in .45 ACP with a couple of modifications that make my pistol excellent.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Get to know these guys then attend one of their get togethers. If you plan it, I'll bet you could shoot all of the pistols in question. If you were closer, I'd be happy to hook you up (buy your own ammo, of course).

Flash

Top Bottom