• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 10mm and 45

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 11, 2012
    San Antonio
    I have the S&W M&P in 40 for my EDC. I swap in a 9mm barrel for plinking. All you need is the factory 9mm barrel and mags. I think I paid $68-70 bucks for the barrel and about $28 for the 9mm mags.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Out of those, I'd probably go with the Glock.

Don't waste your time with .40, there's zero point to the caliber even existing anymore. All it does in the real world is reduce magazine capacity, but doesn't improve the effectiveness of your handgun. The holes it makes are only very slightly larger (9mm is .355", .40 is well, .400"...), the power level is effectively identical, and both give you the same exact results in a self defense situation - a smallish hole poked through the person you're shooting.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.

Don't waste your time with .40, there's zero point to the caliber even existing anymore. All it does in the real world is reduce magazine capacity, but doesn't improve the effectiveness of your handgun. The holes it makes are only very slightly larger (9mm is .355", .40 is well, .400"...), the power level is effectively identical, and both give you the same exact results in a self defense situation - a smallish hole poked through the person you're shooting.

Kinda like a .45...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chris211

Gimme Back My Bullets!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2012
    TX

Not to mention .40 runs about 12-13 dollars more per 100 rounds in the plinking ammo. I did at least buy a G23 which allows me to drop in the 9mm or .357 barrel.

lalonguecarabine

A legend in my own mind!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Houston
    I'm gonna add to the other two who suggested considering the Walther PPQ.
    That is one sweet gun!

I even like it more than my beloved HK and 1911.

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    My 9mm is a Taurus PT99AF which my Son purchased for me at Cabelas. The features I admire are numerous and are: 17 round magazine, rear sight adjustable l/r & elevation, ambidextrous safety, easy simple take down for cleaning, will fire d/a first pull, hammer down, then normal s/a with hammer back after being fired first time. And, hammer may be lowered merely by placing it on safety as in the old German P-38 pistols. Physical size is about like a 1911
    pistol but a bit heavier. Forward of the trigger guard it has groves for a laser if one is desired. I have fired many rounds and never a glitch or problem. It feels nice in the hand and is a little heavy in weight for a child or female with small hands. A man's pistol !

JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    Hey you might wanna look at the Ruger sr9 or 9c. I love my M&P but my SR9c is a GREAT nine and cheaper then the others. Trigger like a Glock, but way better ergonomics, in my opinion. I got my M&P at Jetguns.com for $430 which was the best price I could find at the time, so maybe check there. Good luck.

Shuutr

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 29, 2012
    austin
    Given what you said, 2022 would be my choice. I've seen them for as little as $349 (palmettos state armory a few months ago) and $379 elsewhere. They are comfortable, accurate, reliable and the trigger is great. Perfect for the range

mschonefeld

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2012
    McKinney, TX
    I have a S&W Sigma 9mm and love it. It had a heavy trigger and 'gritty' trigger when I first purchased it. After a little youtube research, I solved the problem myself. I removed the inner spring (saved it in a baggie for adding back latter) and used jewelers rouge on the sear block to smooth out the trigger. It let me learn a lot about my gun and how it works. I am not afraid to strip it down to a complete pile of parts to clean and then reassemble. It it a great gun.
    It does not allow for a lot of the modifications like Glock, but it has something better, a LIFETIME WARRANTY. I could use it as a hammer and send it back to S&W for repair. Tell me one other gun manufacturer that can beat the S&M warranty?
    Sigma 9mm, gets my vote and should make it to your short list for consideration.

Shooter McGavin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2012
    Free Texas
    I wouldn't choose any of them. I would have gotten a CZ 75 or SP-01 if I wanted a full-size or in a compact a 75c, P-01 or PCR. Even with my H&Ks that I love so much, polymers don't beat the solidity, balance and stability of a metal-frame gun. And CZ makes some of the best. I also would consider one of the metal Berettas, as well.
    +1, Also like the Magnum Research - Baby Eagle. Nice, solid gun that fit well in my hand. H&K P30 is also a good, solid handgun that is really comfortable.

Shooter McGavin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2012
    Free Texas
    You're thinking of the P250, I have the full size 9mm version of it and I like it a lot, the fire control group is serialized and comes out of the receiver which is what makes it able to switch around, they offer a wide variety of different frames, slides and barrels (looking into the compact 9mm frame myself). The package you're referring to is called the 2sum, which includes the full size 9mm frame and slide and the sub compact 9mm frame and slide, really cool package got mine in a trade.
    I knew somebody on here would have it, LOL!!! I think it's a cool idea and a great package, perfect fit for what the OP is wanting to do.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    G19 is what I used to recommend to new shooters. Now it's the M&P shield.

gun_in_hand.png

macshooter

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2012
    EL Chuco
    Real world differences between 9mm and .40 aside, if you for some reason are in situation where ammo is scarce, it will be nice to have a gun that will take either 9mm or .40. That doubles your chances of being able to find some ammo for it if you run out.

Top Bottom