• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    Long range is certainly not easy or cheap. I've been hitting tight center mass at 300 yds and that's better than I thought I could do. While I think the rifle is great, I've found it's limits are going to cost money to extend. I don't have a range to try further. I'm still tweaking loads and boy does that help. Cheap anything isn't worth it which is different than other genres of guns. Other platforms you can "get by" with medium quality. I've noticed that even out to 300 yds it makes a difference. Take the advice of those more experienced, it'll save you time and money. Every little thing affects you here. Scope, rifle, ammo, position, bag rest, bi-pod, stock. It's adding up quick.

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE using Tapatalk
    You badass
    Texas SOT

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    My Dad was a 1000 yd shooter with iron sights and a rack gun ('03-A3),; when he went into the Army got you an extra $5 per month...which made the payment on his folks farm.

I was never that good, but dad showed a lot and I did Expert with the M14 and M 16.

The take away is that when get out that far the best gun in the world is not gonna make you go 10 ring, the burden really rests on you. There are a lot of recommendations on here and not a single one of them is bad. I would find a good used one and a decent fixed power scope this will keep your budget down. Then spend the time and money in ammo to dial in that combo and you are in 10 ring city.

Yerman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    Fort Worth, TX
    700 in .308. Get a scope that will work now and upgrade later. Just make sure you spend money on your rail and rings so you don't need to re-purchase those. Make sure you pick out your want-to-have scope now so you can bet a budget scope with the same tube size.

CcoTexas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2014
    Buy a remington 700 tactical and put a decent scope. Ive seen the 20" barrel do work out to 1000 yards

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    700 in .308. Get a scope that will work now and upgrade later. Just make sure you spend money on your rail and rings so you don't need to re-purchase those. Make sure you pick out your want-to-have scope now so you can bet a budget scope with the same tube size.

Or just save a little longer instead of buying two scopes and spending more money in the long run

sent from the bathroom

T-FAST

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 9, 2011
    San Antonio, TX
    Buy a remington 700 tactical and put a decent scope. Ive seen the 20" barrel do work out to 1000 yards

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Yup my 20" 700 .308 has no problem lobbing bullets out to 1100yds and still be supersonic, of course I am pushing the ammo pretty hard compared to longer barreled rifles, but I'd rather have the weight savings and maneuverability. If I could get away with using a 16.5" barrel for long range shooting I would use that instead of the 20"

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    Yup my 20" 700 .308 has no problem lobbing bullets out to 1100yds and still be supersonic, of course I am pushing the ammo pretty hard compared to longer barreled rifles, but I'd rather have the weight savings and maneuverability. If I could get away with using a 16.5" barrel for long range shooting I would use that instead of the 20"

How far out would you think a 16" could run? I have a 16" barrel and I'm very happy with it but have no range I have easy access to past 300 yds. I've noticed my muzzle speed is tough to get over 2450 fps with 168 to 180gr bullets, which I assume means past 700 yds it'll be pretty rough.

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Tapatalk

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    175g Sierra MK should get you to 1000 with a MV of 2450.

5yduhana.jpg

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    Proper bullet selection is key as is the achievable velocity with said bullet. You want one that will transition well.

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    What bullet are you using?

Right now I'm playing around with Nosler Ballistic Tip @ 180gr because I'm in hopes of doing some hogging (obviously not at 1000 yds) but I had some good luck with Berger VLD 168gr but ran out and haven't had the chance to get more. I also have some Barnes TTSX 168 and 180gr that I've had laying around. I know they're hunting rounds but I assume I'm not getting much better velocity unless I drop down to a lighter bullet and with a 1:10 twist barrel it doesn't seem to like anything less than the heavier bullets. I have a box of Hornady TAP 110gr I was going to shoot at Hicksville just to see what it would do.

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    That heavy of Barnes is not good for the 308. Barnes need to be ran light and fast for proper expansion.

You're thinking if the TSX. The TTSX is rated much better for expansion. I know the TSX had issues (according to the interwebs) but the TTSX has improved. My buddy hunts with them out of a 30-06 and .308 (hence why I have then lying around, he gave them to me when I started reloading). He says you can practically thrown them at a dear and they'll open right up. But they're expensive so I haven't used then for target practice, kinda wasteful.

T-FAST

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 9, 2011
    San Antonio, TX
    at 2450FPS your looking at going transonic around 960yds with the 168gr Berger and 980yds with the 180 TTSX, so I would feel comfortable shooting within 900yds as far as target shooting but you don't have much energy past 550yds. Bullet choice is definitely a factor. I really like to push my .308 over 2600fps so I can reduce the amount of wind drift.

rlesieur

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2012
    Austin, TX
    Recipe for 1000yds for $1,800. Remington 5R. Bushnell Elite 6500 4.5-30 $800 & 20MOA rail. Trigger adjusted to 2.5lbs. Lapua brass, Federal 210 primer, 44.2g Varget, SMK 175s. Shoots <.75 MOA on average. I bang metal at 1K at BotW for less than what some folks spend on their scopes and I do not consider myself an extraordinary shooter.

If you get a 5R my experience is it doesn't like lite bullets including Scenar 155s nor does it like fast powders.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    You're thinking if the TSX. The TTSX is rated much better for expansion. I know the TSX had issues (according to the interwebs) but the TTSX has improved. My buddy hunts with them out of a 30-06 and .308 (hence why I have then lying around, he gave them to me when I started reloading). He says you can practically thrown them at a dear and they'll open right up. But they're expensive so I haven't used then for target practice, kinda wasteful.

Interesting I called barnes several years back and was recommended the 150 from them for 308. I ended up going a different route since availability wasn't great. Also my understanding was that the tip was added for aerodynamics as well as a boat tail. As far as the interwebs goes there have been plenty of reported issues with them just like most other bullet.

Recipe for 1000yds for $1,800. Remington 5R. Bushnell Elite 6500 4.5-30 $800 & 20MOA rail. Trigger adjusted to 2.5lbs. Lapua brass, Federal 210 primer, 44.2g Varget, SMK 175s. Shoots <.75 MOA on average. I bang metal at 1K at BotW for less than what some folks spend on their scopes and I do not consider myself an extraordinary shooter.

If you get a 5R my experience is it doesn't like lite bullets including Scenar 155s nor does it like fast powders.

It would be bullet length that typically is the issue. The Sierra and Scenar have been known to be picky at times too. Most will find the Sierra likes a good jump while the Scenar likes the lands. Either way they aren't as good as the 175 class if you can't get a good velocity starting out. The 6500 might be labeled something else now since Bushnell restructured their Elite line.

franzas

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 3, 2014
    Richmond, VA
    BC-
    I was at my LGS recently and they have (.308) Remington 700 SPS Tacticals w/ the threaded 16" bull barrel for $800 new. I'd recommend looking for a used one of these. I think the older model is essentially the same except without the threads. They come with that adjustable trigger too. I think this will be my starting point when I get around to building a general purpose rifle.

Top Bottom