• Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Just to clarify, I didn't mean a lull as in almost nothing or very light wind, but the natural common low spot for that day.

Still, I see the reasoning behind your method.
    Military Camp

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    A lot of your short range br guys adjust for wind but they are usually 300 and in. They are also trying to shoot groups with minimal variation.

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    What range finders do you all recommend? Z71 mentioned the Vortex spotting scope what else is good?

I think good is probably relative to what you hope to acheive and the quality you are needing. I've used Swarovski, Leupold, and Bushnell and havent been disappointed. But then again I dont know how these would fare at 1000 yrds trying to make out holes in paper. Thats definitely on my list of things to research and save up for next.

Sent from Kate Beckinsale's closet.

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    Bang for the buck is going to be this one
    Bushnell G Force 1300 Arc Rangefinder Black New Box 20 1965 Bow Rifle 201965 029757201539 | eBay
    Ive used it to range a 12" white gong at 1000yds. That's about as far as its good for for small reflective targets when sitting on a tripod. Ive ranged cows out 800ish yards. Its a lot of bang for the buck. If I was going to spend more it would be the leica 1600b at $800 but at dang near triple the price you don't get a whole lot more performance. The next step up from that is the vectronix terrapin at $1900 but it will range non reflective targets to well over a mile. For my uses the bushnell works great and has never let me down. My dad has a small Swarovski rangefinder(not sure of the model) that I know was close to a grand and my cheapo bushnell hangs right with it.

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    Oh, just noticed you asked about range finders but then mentioned a spotting scope. My brain hung on the spotting scope while it seems 1slow01Z71 focused on the first half and went with range finders. Whichever you meant, they both depend on your intentions and what requirements you set for what is acceptable.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Oh, just noticed you asked about range finders but then mentioned a spotting scope. My brain hung on the spotting scope while it seems 1slow01Z71 focused on the first half and went with range finders. Whichever you meant, they both depend on your intentions and what requirements you set for what is acceptable.

Mentioned both deliberately.

I'm about ready to buy a pellet gun.

Rifle
    Scope
    Range finder
    Spotting scope
    and on and on.

Is this the most expensive non NFA gun pursuit!?

Koinonia

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    San Antonio

Rifle
    Scope
    Range finder
    Spotting scope
    and on and on.

Precision Rifle? If it isnt, it is damn close.

But it is so gratifying to be able to hit a target that far off consistantly. And the day you join the Mile club feels amazing.

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park

Rifle
    Scope
    Range finder
    Spotting scope
    and on and on.

I would imagine it is. It even beats out a lot of the more common NFA purchases in cost. You definitely don't get into it to save money.

Its a very specific and interesting discipline though and I feel like it really brings more focus onto the ballistics and physics of shooting than most other aspects of the sport. I've been enjoying learning about it and am looking forward to my own journey to 1000 and further.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I think good is probably relative to what you hope to acheive and the quality you are needing. I've used Swarovski, Leupold, and Bushnell and havent been disappointed. But then again I dont know how these would fare at 1000 yrds trying to make out holes in paper. Thats definitely on my list of things to research and save up for next.

How far are you shooting with your current spotting scope? Cost? Magnification?

We need details, man!

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    I use my scope right now at 1000 but it's easy to see hits on steel. I can see 7mm and 6mm impacts on white paper at 400 as well. I tried a Vortex spotter a few weeks back and couldn't get it focused good enough to be better than the scope.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    Seems pretty optimistic on the scopes. I would have definitely just gone with a fixed power. I did kinda chuckle a little during 2nd at the guy in the background quietly looking on through his US optics.

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    Seems pretty optimistic on the scopes. I would have definitely just gone with a fixed power. I did kinda chuckle a little during 2nd at the guy in the background quietly looking on through his US optics.

Haha I did the same.

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    Long range is certainly not easy or cheap. I've been hitting tight center mass at 300 yds and that's better than I thought I could do. While I think the rifle is great, I've found it's limits are going to cost money to extend. I don't have a range to try further. I'm still tweaking loads and boy does that help. Cheap anything isn't worth it which is different than other genres of guns. Other platforms you can "get by" with medium quality. I've noticed that even out to 300 yds it makes a difference. Take the advice of those more experienced, it'll save you time and money. Every little thing affects you here. Scope, rifle, ammo, position, bag rest, bi-pod, stock. It's adding up quick.

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE using Tapatalk

Last edited:
    Top Bottom