• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    once again at 1000 yards save a little more and get a Remington 5R very smell eff ups can translate to feet at 1000 yards, at 600 id move tiny tiny franctions of an inch on the sight and it would throw it to the side of a 20'' torso. by the time you get a $500 rifle set up to shoot $1000 you could have bought a 5R and SWFA 12/16/20 power. Long range shooting isn't point and shoot like I thought you need the proper stuff to do it even at that distance 16'' gongs are small.

And its not being an elitist, but if you like it you want to get more accurate, and a 5R wont really need much of anything. where a cheaper rifle you'll want a better barrel/stock eventually. factory stocks have a lot of flex in them usually.

Buy once cry once, and you cant hardly beat $1050 new for a good long range rifle.

Last edited:

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    once again at 1000 yards save a little more and get a Remington 5R very smell eff ups can translate to feet at 1000 yards, at 600 id move tiny tiny franctions of an inch on the sight and it would throw it to the side of a 20'' torso. by the time you get a $500 rifle set up to shoot $1000 you could have bought a 5R and SWFA 12/16/20 power.

And its not being an elitist, but if you like it you want to get more accurate, and a 5R wont really need much of anything. where a cheaper rifle you'll want a better barrel/stock eventually. factory stocks have a lot of flex in them usually.

Buy once cry once, and you cant hardly beat $1050 new for a good long range rifle.

Encouraging me to stretch my budget a few hundred bucks is not being an elitist.

So here's what I found used today locally.

Savage 10 fp sr 22" (threaded) for $679
    Remington 700 light tactical 20" (not threaded) for $959

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    Don't look bad.
    Savage and Remington are both nice rifles.

If you do look into a 5R at all Ive seen them used like new for $750. Ive wanted one for several years then I shot one, and now I really want one.

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    It's extremely hard not to argue with every comment in threads like these.

Not because any advice is bad, but there are so many options that are pretty much equal and it's easy to get pulled in by a "this is the best" post.

Lots of fun though.

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    Its a $1000 dollar rifle that shoots like a $3-4000 rifle pretty much. 24'' SS M24 barrel, good trigger out of the box, they have tighter tolerances just a bunch of stuff like that. Im getting one eventually.
    https://www.snipercentral.com/milspec5r.phtml

Its not "The Best" but its damn hard to beat for the price range, and it doesn't need extra stuff like the others would. Actually shooting long range made me understand why people put more money into it. its a whole different world than 100-300yd

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    On the rifling, you can hear a ton of stuff and quick google search will get you pages of discussion. I wouldn't get too hung up on it however.

Here is what one random guy had to say:5-R Rifling Last paragraph at the bottom of the page.

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    Well seeing as how many people use them and they shoot great it couldn't be an accurate rifle...

And the bedding/stock make a difference in the rifle also which would cost extra with anything else bring the price pretty much even or higher than the 5R.

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Well seeing as how many people use them and they shoot great it couldn't be an accurate rifle...

And the bedding/stock make a difference in the rifle also which would cost extra with anything else bring the price pretty much even or higher than the 5R.

Like I said, just takes a little googling.

The main reason people are going with 5R is the twist rate is slightly faster than Remingtons standard rifling so it handles heavier bullets better, secondary reason is that it is a little less prone to fouling (could be where a lot of the accuracy claims come from). People who clean less notice less problems.

The Savage barrel has a standard 1/10 twist, so it already handles the heavier bullets.

Main advantage of the 5R in that case is possibly less fouling, which would be important for a rifle that may not get cleaned often such as the M24.

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    I think his biggest challenge will be getting sub MOA loads without handloading.

Still, a savage 10 or Remington 700 should be able to do it with the right ammo. Handloading just makes it much better.

I don't have any firsthand experience with them but its my understanding that the R700 generally shoots sub-moa from the factory with match ammo. Is that not true from practical experience?

Sent from Kate Beckinsale's closet.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    That should be true of all the target line. For Remington or savage. Tactical/ milspec or varmint.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    This is what my rifle will do with factory match ammo. From the bench at Hicksville, bipod and rear bag. Winchester 168gr match.
    dasy7uvy.jpg

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    After seeing how well both of my 5Rs shoot, if its in the budget Id highly recommend them. I added a seekins 20moa rail, seekins 4 screw low rings, timney flat blade trigger, PRC bolt knob, triad stock pack, and harris bipod. All the accessories add up quick but they all work together for making shooting on out there comfortable. The fixed power SWFA scopes are the best value out there for the type of shooting youre wanting to do. They don't have even close to great glass BUT the reticle is nice, they have a lot of travel, the turrets are decent and they are repeatable.

If I was in your shoes Id pick up a used 308 5R and a used 10x or 12x SWFA. You can go cheap and get an EGW rail, and burris XTR rings. The tactical knob really does make the bolt throw a lot nicer, a stock pack helps tune in your cheek weld, and while the xmark is decent it breaks inconsistently so I ditched it for a timney. I like flat blade triggers anyway so it didn't take much convincing me to swap it out. You will need a bipod for sure. A lot of people will try to convince you that you need a $300 atlas bipod but the harris swivel with notched legs model works just fine IMO and is only $100. Ive got about 1900 tied up in my total with the threaded barrel but without scope.

You really have to decide just how far you want to take it. While you may get a rifle that can shoot to 1000 youre going to need a decent spotting scope to see splash on a steel target. If youre shooting paper youre talking more money for the spotter than what youre talking about spending on your entire rifle.

The 11.25 twist in my 5R has no problem slinging 208 amaxs which are very long and should give the most trouble stability wise. I believe twist rate is a bit overstated.

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I wish I had run that up to 10 shots but I intended to qualify and move to the 600 yrd range.

Ended up BSing instead.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Looks like that used 10 FP SR isn't a screaming deal. That's about what they go for new on gunbroker.

Maybe I'll find something at the next big gun show I go to in March perhaps.

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    Harris 6-9 bipod and a triad tactical wedge bag are made for each other. The bag works great for short benches like the one below for on its end under the palm swell and for prone it slides right under the rear of the stock.
    20140104_164030_zpsaa6dnbxt.jpg

I use a leupold gold ring spotter but if I was in the budget market for a spotter it would be this one.
    Vortex Optics - Diamondback 20-60x80 Straight
    Cameralandny usually has demos for a little over 400. I wont buy anything but vortex for binoculars and spotting scopes anymore, theyre a great value and have an awesome warranty. Im slowly moving away from them for scopes though.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angee
    Top Bottom