• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    If you haven't bought anything before Hicksville you can try out my SWFA 12x42. Who knows, by then I may have decided on a variable power and be selling mine...

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    This time next month I'm heading out to best of the west if you want to join. Ill be taking my 5Rs out there. While theyre not custom guns they do shoot pretty well. Ive got a 4-16 vortex pst on the 308 and a 20x swfa on my 300wm til I can save up for better glass. Those ought to give you a good idea of what you like. I chose to spend more money on the gun first and less on the scope as I can reassign scope duty, I'd rather not have to deal with selling a gun. Recommendations all really boil down to what your accuracy expectations are at 1000. If you just want to hit an ISPCA target thats easy but if you want to start banging out sub moa groups thats a whole nother story. Also dont use 168 SMKs as your ballistics benchmarl, they are TERRIBLE for that distance. 168 amaxs, 175 SMKs and 178 amaxs are the ticket at that range for cost effective choices.

Get a longer barrel for extra velocity while learning then cut it back and thread it later once your skills develop and you can compensate better for the lack of ballistics. I still like 6.5CM for this exercise but 308 does fine as well.

TAVM

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Since were on the subject...for 1000 yards would a 4.5-14x40 be an appropriate scope?

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    honestly If I were you Id save a little more and get a Remington 5r you cant hardly beat them out of the box, and the trigger goes down to 2 pounds or so if you want they sell new for $1050 add a SWFA SS and youre good to go. I was shooting a 5r last week at 600 and its a SWEET shooting rifle, and you don't have to change the stock or anything out its quality from the get go.

https://www.snipercentral.com/milspec5r.phtml

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    The 10-12x will suite you fine as even with the higher power scopes in the warm Texas days will have to be turned down due to mirage. Also if you are going 308 look into running 155 either Sierra Palma 2156, Bergers or the Lapua Scenar. If you have a 20" + barrel and can get around 2850 fps or more they are awesome.

An option is to pick up the cheapest heavy barreled Remington you can get then sit on the hide for a hs stock as they can be picked up pretty cheap. The houge and other stocks are ok but have a lot of flex in the fore grip and if you aren't careful will touch the barrel causing accuracy issues.

One thing to do is include buying a trigger with any purchase.

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    Since were on the subject...for 1000 yards would a 4.5-14x40 be an appropriate scope?
    Depends on your expected accuracy. 14 will be plenty to hit normal size targets. If youre after nice groups more magnification would be better. In that power range you wont have to deal with mirage though.
    honestly If I were you Id save a little more and get a Remington 5r you cant hardly beat them out of the box, and the trigger goes down to 2 pounds or so if you want they sell new for $1050 add a SWFA SS and youre good to go. I was shooting a 5r last week at 600 and its a SWEET shooting rifle, and you don't have to change the stock or anything out its quality from the get go.

https://www.snipercentral.com/milspec5r.phtml
    Have to agree, I love my 308 and 300WM 5Rs. With my handloads they hang right in there with custom guns. They can outshoot me easily but then again thats not saying much haha.
    The 10-12x will suite you fine as even with the higher power scopes in the warm Texas days will have to be turned down due to mirage. Also if you are going 308 look into running 155 either Sierra Palma 2156, Bergers or the Lapua Scenar. If you have a 20" + barrel and can get around 2850 fps or more they are awesome.

An option is to pick up the cheapest heavy barreled Remington you can get then sit on the hide for a hs stock as they can be picked up pretty cheap. The houge and other stocks are ok but have a lot of flex in the fore grip and if you aren't careful will touch the barrel causing accuracy issues.

One thing to do is include buying a trigger with any purchase.
    155s are a lot more expensive though and Im cheap lol. I wasnt a fan of the xmark like some are, I replaced them with timney flat blades and couldnt be happier.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    155s are a lot more expensive though and Im cheap lol. I wasnt a fan of the xmark like some are, I replaced them with timney flat blades and couldnt be happier.

The Sierra Palmas are better than the other 2 price wise. I like the similar bc/softer recoil the 155 offer when compared to the 175 class bullets provided the 2850 threshold can be met. The 168 is a good option if kept within a certain distance as well.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Any gun you shoot at high enough angle will shoot to 1000 yards. The question is can you hit anything at 400 yards?

That's very true. However, lobbing a 9mm carbine 800yrds pretty much guarantees a miss.

His idea to start with a $1000 investment is pretty reasonable (if not on the low end) of a rifle to learn on.

Sure, he could by a common deer rifle, top it off with a $100 Walmart scope, and shoot at 100-200 yrds. It would most likely be accurate enough to learn on, but it would get real old waiting for the barrel to cool and he would be trading it off before long and looking for a scope that he could crank up .7 mils and actually expect it to return to zero.

Buying a rifle that has the capability does not mean he intends to step on the 1000 yard line and start slinging lead in to the wind, just that he has a goal.

Honestly, I'm not sure what the point was of your post, if none if this is relevant then disregard.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Can I hit anything at 400 yards? Yes. Out of safety and necessity at my range I will also have to prove myself at incremental distances on the way out to 1000.

Do you have to qualify with a certain size group to be allowed to shoot at 1000? I had to qualify at 300yds to go beyond that at a local range, and using a 10x scope at 300, for me, was pretty difficult.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I've only shot at my 300 yrd range once. Group size was 2.1" with a light wind at my back. Bench, bipod, and rear bag.

I tend to stay at 100 and concentrate on perfecting fundamentals. It's a lot closer for changing targets and walking up for a better look.

I will move back as I get better at reading the wind.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Besides, quit while your ahead, right, lol.

I can still see the dot in the center at 300, at 400 I would just be aiming center paper.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Realistically you need to save a lot more money or your not going to be shooting very well @ a 1,000 yards. Also consider as you age your eyes aint going to make this any easier on you. That said $1K for a scope aint going to cut it.

Top Bottom