• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Annnnnnd the elitists showed up. I respect I won't be able to hang with your $5000 rigs and decades of experience. I get that.

Call me what you will. I'm just saying long range shooting aint easy. Sure it can be done with surplus O3A3's, Garands & a shit load of other open sight guns. What you need to realize is a scope need a lot of elevation or a modified base to do it.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    That doesn't require 1000+ dollars.

20moa seekins base, SWFA scopes have the necessary elevation adjustment.

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    A fool and his money are soon parted.

I've only seen one other post by Baboon and it was essentially to say that he didn't care if his $2000 Elcan was any better or worse than cheaper and lighter alternatives.

If you want to throw money at the sport you can always do that but that isnt what the OP was asking and isnt always the best option.

Sent from Kate Beckinsale's closet.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    He's not saying it cannot be done with the budget or some of the recommended equipment because it very well can be. What he's implying is that there is a limit as to how well you we be able to consistently get great accuracy which can cause a great bit of frustration.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    But this thread was never about "great" accuracy.

It's about being able to build a rifle with acceptable accuracy for the intended use.

Shooting 1000 yards doesn't necessarily mean the goal is to shoot a 6"group at 1000 yards.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    But this thread was never about "great" accuracy.

It's about being able to build a rifle with acceptable accuracy for the intended use.

Shooting 1000 yards doesn't necessarily mean the goal is to shoot a 6"group at 1000 yards.

So what would be acceptable? Intended game animal. Torso shots on Taliban? Granted a target used @ a thousand yards has a bigger bulls eye.

Hell a spotting scope to see your hits @ 1,000 yards alone will cost more then $1K. Think if you were to put a .50 bmg on target that would only be 1/2 inch hole to see.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    What is acceptable is for BC to determine. His guidelines were for a rifle that could be useful at 1000yrds for about a grand.

We have suggested what we believe to be the best option staying close to that budget.

I think it's clear from his posts that he doesn't expect to have a benchrest rifle for that budget.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    He didn't mention a spotting scope, he's looking at rifles. Nor does anyone here think they will be spotting the holes with a 10 or 12X scope.

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    I may be completely off the mark but I was going with the assumption that he isn't setting his expectations very high. I'm assuming he is after a 1 moa or less basic rifle with a budget optic capable of ringing a steek silhouette at 1000 after learning how to consistently land first round hits at lesser distances. At least this is what common sense is telling me.

I think the goals you are assuming he is after and his actual goals are two different things.

Sent from Kate Beckinsale's closet.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    A 1 moa rifle will leave you very frustrated the farther you move out especially with the cartridge of choice as it is far from good at deflecting wind.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    It's a good one to learn on especially as far as wind reading goes. I understand trying to save money to get into the discipline but if you skimp on equipment too much it can hurt you in the long run. Also skim the for sale section on the hide and search for second hand entry level equipment as it can be grabbed at a discount usually.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    Try and keep your adjustments and reticle on the scope the same. It isn't a requirement but it makes things a lot less complicated. Also try and do some research as some aren't exactly known to track correctly.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    A 1 moa rifle will leave you very frustrated the farther you move out especially with the cartridge of choice as it is far from good at deflecting wind.

I think his biggest challenge will be getting sub MOA loads without handloading.

Still, a savage 10 or Remington 700 should be able to do it with the right ammo. Handloading just makes it much better.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Or MOA/MOA.

I have a scope in each and prefer the mil. I heard MOA my whole life, but the mil just works better.

Unless of course you get one in shooters MOA which is actually 1", but I only know of a couple manufacturers and they blow your budget.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    The federal gmm usually shoots pretty good in most. It would at least be a starting point.

Yes Mil/Mil or MOA/MOA a Mil is a bit coarse compared to moa. Your f class and br people typically use moa over mil. Where the tac comp guys run mil a lot. Like YG said there are some that are in "inch per hundred yards" but they are either really expensive or some of the low end hunting scopes.

Top Bottom