• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Found this for $750, scope not included. Savage Model 10 "Tactical Rifle".

tgt_pics4709651.jpg
    Military Camp

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    Scope not included but what about base, rings or bipod? Those prices aren't outstanding but if they come with a few accessories you might still come out ahead.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Remington Tactical for $1000 and it's local. Have a Remington 700 Tactical 308 20'' bull barrel with a Harris slm bipod a Bell-Carson Tactical Medalist stock style 5 also a Wyatt's outdoors Tactical detachable magazine 5 rds conversion $1000.00

tgt_pics1404905.jpg

See, on something like this I could bump up the budget a little. Looks like that would be expensive to build right? More than $1000? Not sure if it's threaded though.

I know it'd be a shame to put a $250 scope and basic rings/mounts on it, but it would serve me until I could get a better scope.

T-FAST

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 9, 2011
    San Antonio, TX

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Found this for $750, scope not included. Savage Model 10 "Tactical Rifle".

tgt_pics4709651.jpg

That rifle is the "precision carbine". Same rifle I have.

The mag on that one costs about $100. They are modified from the original savage mags, least the only ones I've seen are.

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    Remington Tactical for $1000 and it's local. Have a Remington 700 Tactical 308 20'' bull barrel with a Harris slm bipod a Bell-Carson Tactical Medalist stock style 5 also a Wyatt's outdoors Tactical detachable magazine 5 rds conversion $1000.00

See, on something like this I could bump up the budget a little. Looks like that would be expensive to build right? More than $1000? Not sure if it's threaded though.

I know it'd be a shame to put a $250 scope and basic rings/mounts on it, but it would serve me until I could get a better scope.
    Thats not bad overall. The rifle runs around $600-700, Bell and Carlson stock should be around $250-300, another $300 for bottom metal, plus $100 for the bipod. Hard to tell from the picture but I'm sure its just the SPS Tactical, not the AAC-SD model.

The biggest decision is choosing an action you think you want. You can always change or upgrade scopes later on. Hell, I have a 12x SWFA on my $2000 rifle until I make a decision on something else. Since I'm still learning myself I feel like it will serve the purpose while I work at 100 yards. Whatever you do, weigh out your options and make sure you feel like you'll be happy with your choice. Don't settle just because its the only thing you've found in you budget at that point in time. Evaluate your goals and what you like about different models as well as where you think you might want to go down the road.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    BC, do you (or do you plan to) reload?

It makes a huge difference in what you can get these rifles to do and options available.

Plus, match ammo gets expensive.

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    Matt has plenty of money for match ammo, he just likes to act like hes a penny pincher on the forum. You should see his sweet ass blurple phone :D

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    BC, do you (or do you plan to) reload?

It makes a huge difference in what you can get these rifles to do and options available.

Plus, match ammo gets expensive.

Good questions.

Reload? No.

Again I know that limits me. My main interest is defensive handgun shooting. I want to get a decent long range setup much as I want to get a shotgun. I want to have that capability. I do have Best of the West in my back yard and thats a great opportunity to shoot at a 1000 yard range that I dont want to squander.

Once I get it zeroed, learn how to adjust my scope for distance and wind and find my limits and the limits of my gun and scope and do whatever it is I can do consistently, ill probably just shoot once or twice a year unless I really get into it and find that id appreciate a nicer gun and glass then perhaps id reload.

It seems even used, the Savage solution comes in around $1000 and the Remington comes in around $1200 (both on the cheap end).

Craziest part of all of this is in college about 10 years ago I had a Savage 10 FP 308 with a Leopold tactical scope! But I didn't really know what I was doing and my range was less than 200 yards so I didn't keep it long.

Appreciate the info here and the positive encouragement to not be penny wise and pound foolish.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    Sound's like a good plan but you won't learn the wind at all only shooting a couple times a year. The wind is a bitch I'm running a round with much less wind drift than you are and it still kicks my ass at times. Also I would advise you not to dial for wind but use the reticle and hold.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Sound's like a good plan but you won't learn the wind at all only shooting a couple times a year. The wind is a bitch I'm running a round with much less wind drift than you are and it still kicks my ass at times. Also I would advise you not to dial for wind but use the reticle and hold.

I'm not really heavy in to calling the wind yet but it seems I've heard it both ways.

Some saying to hold off with the scope, others saying to adjust the scope to the lulls in wind speed and fire during that point.

Why do you recommend using the reticle?

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    I'm not really heavy in to calling the wind yet but it seems I've heard it both ways.

Some saying to hold off with the scope, others saying to adjust the scope to the lulls in wind speed and fire during that point.

I estimate wind (and range) everyday. Sitting in my office, driving by some trees on the highway, having a picnic with the kiddos, I use every opportunity to hone skills. I'll often have my rangefinder and kestrel meter handy to check my accuracy, especially if I've got a big shoot coming up. I grew up sailing, so wind has always been a simple science to me, but it's something you need to practice often.

Always hold for wind when possible. It's really the only dynamic factor in the long range equation...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way

You could wait forever if you try and wait for the lull in wind at least here in North Texas it's that way. Holding allows you to change the amount with minimal movement. You can watch through the scope and adjust with variation as needed. A good reticle allows holding at ease. The simple mil dot reticle makes it a little more difficult as it's subtensions are a good bit apart. I run a moa reticle with 2 moa subtensions it makes it fairly easy to hold with. This is the view at one of the 1000 yard targets I shoot at its got a 4x4.5 foot chunk of steel at 22x everything is correct and 90% of the time my wind holds are around 2 moa or more.

20131224_142059_zpsmr05p1oe.jpg

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    anibal79
    Top Bottom