• mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    I'll move to Chernobyl then.....

What HASN'T been written about is that local farmers and small town occupants moved back into the Chernobyl exclusion zone days after the event. No abnormally high effects have been seen.

What the mainstream shows us is the abandoned apartment building and playground ... the one where the Chernobyl plant workforce was housed.
    The plant is shutdown ... no workforce.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    What HASN'T been written about is that local farmers and small town occupants moved back into the Chernobyl exclusion zone days after the event. No abnormally high effects have been seen.

What the mainstream shows us is the abandoned apartment building and playground ... the one where the Chernobyl plant workforce was housed.
    The plant is shutdown ... no workforce.

That's interesting.

I know there is supposed to be a fund for children born with birth defects attributed to the incident. Was that from a specific group of workers. Always seemed as if it was from everyone in the area.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    I have my survival shield from infowars, Im gtg!!

Exactly.

Many claim a bias in the media when it comes to 2A and gun ownership rights, but then blindly follow whatever is published about Fukishima et.al.

I understand the line drawn in the sand about 2A on this site. This group is well educated on the subject.
    I urge each of your tin-foil-hatters to take a few minutes and educate yourself on this subject.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Exactly.

Many claim a bias in the media when it comes to 2A and gun ownership rights, but then blindly follow whatever is published about Fukishima et.al.

I understand the line drawn in the sand about 2A on this site. This group is well educated on the subject.
    I urge each of your tin-foil-hatters to take a few minutes and educate yourself on this subject.

Thats how you appeal to people by calling them insulting names?

Believing all the doom and gloom in the news about the environment? Who does that? But to deny nuclear testing and nuclear power plant accidents have severely contaminated the environment and has killed or harmed lots of people where does that come from?

Coal plants kill people too and harm the environment. The radical enviros dont want real science but its not scientific to deny the effects of nuclear radiation either.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    Thats how you appeal to people by calling them insulting names?

Only if one considers themselves a tin-foil-hatter.
    If you feel insulted, well then ...

I consider the folks who frequent this site well above average on the enlightened graph. The reason I don't (and never will) have a facebook account is because the majority of the vocal FB-ers are well BELOW average in what they post.

Claiming that my comments "deny nuclear testing and nuclear power plant accidents have severely contaminated the environment and has killed or harmed lots of people" brushes that FB line.

Terms like "severely" and "lots of people" need context.

Enlighten me, please.

I urge everyone to watch "Pandora's Promise". It aired on CNN before Christmas and is eye-opening to me.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Only if one considers themselves a tin-foil-hatter.
    If you feel insulted, well then ...

I consider the folks who frequent this site well above average on the enlightened graph. The reason I don't (and never will) have a facebook account is because the majority of the vocal FB-ers are well BELOW average in what they post.

Claiming that my comments "deny nuclear testing and nuclear power plant accidents have severely contaminated the environment and has killed or harmed lots of people" brushes that FB line.

Terms like "severely" and "lots of people" need context.

Enlighten me, please.

I urge everyone to watch "Pandora's Promise". It aired on CNN before Christmas and is eye-opening to me.

"Enlighten you"? That's not my job.

Do check your own logic though:

If a person was a tin-foiler, you know they wouldn't self identify as such. Calling everyone who disagrees with you a disparaging term isn't good form.

You don't like people using terms like "severely" and "lots of people" without quantifying but you say the "majority of the vocal FB-ers". How do you know what a majority of people post of facebook, without having a facebook account? And even if you did, you wouldn't have access to any sample size where you could state what a majority of the posters have to say.

All I have done is bring up the actual facts behind some nuclear power accidents and the results of our nuclear tests such as those in the upper atmosphere (Starfish Prime) and on Bikini Island (Operation Crossroads and others) specifically. I mention these things as "most people" are pretty unaware of things like Starfish Prime and how it might affect them even today or how horribly we treated the Bikini Islanders.

I'm not against the use of nuclear technologies although I am increasingly against it for electricity production. It is of course a necessary weapon and can be used in medicine and industry.

I know a good amount about electricity production and we can have that conversation without being rude to one another.

This thread is about the 14,000,000 potassium iodide pills that our federal government may be buying. So to keep this on track and not to have it devolve into a facebook level discussion we should focus on the following:

Is the gov buying 14,000,000 potassium iodide pills?
    Anyone find more sources for this story or updates?
    Why would they do this?
    What is their purpose?
    What are the pills used for?
    Do you keep some of these pills at home?

Adios!

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    I'm having trouble finding anything more then a synopsis.

Does anyone know where to find out who won this contract?

Also,

Is there anyway to look back at previous solicitations of specific items beyond the 365 day on the GSA site?

azkcr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2013
    Borger, TX
    That was actually an informative video. I thought it was just a funny vid...
    So if that's Chernobyl, then what of Japan? They don't have the room that Russia does for people to move out.. lol

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    That was actually an informative video. I thought it was just a funny vid...
    So if that's Chernobyl, then what of Japan? They don't have the room that Russia does for people to move out.. lol

Vice is a great network for interesting documentaries.

People only "need" to move out real locally. Although many more probably should or want to move.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    My wife has a FB account. I read some of the stuff she comes across.

Is the gov buying 14,000,000 potassium iodide pills?
    Probably

Anyone find more sources for this story or updates?
    Haven't looked.

Why would they do this?
    KI has a shelf-life.

What is their purpose?
    Saturate the thyroid so the effects of internal contamination (not external radiation dose) is minimized

What are the pills used for?
    See above

Do you keep some of these pills at home?
    No need. KI can be issued by local governments as needed

Adios!

One dose is good for 24 hours before your body begins absorbing and discharging.

14,000,000 pills is 7,000,000 doses
    7,000,000 doses means 1,000,000 people get a dose for a week.

Like I said earlier, KI is a throw-back to the cold war when propoganda struck fear into the souls of the masses.
    Fearing widespread nuclear contamination from non-military sources is foolish. Please read on ...

Two reasons ... weapons grade U238 is highly enriched ... commercial grade U235 is a fraction of that potency.
    Example: The hoopla surrounding Iran's nuke program is they were using repurposed, weapons grade U238 to fuel their power reactors.

Why should we not fear a Fukishima type event here?
    Fukishima was a very early designed BWR. Most BWRs in the US have been decommissioned.

So the OT posts about KI pills is much more complicated answer.

Last edited:

azkcr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2013
    Borger, TX
    True. As you can see in Chernobyl, people still live relatively "close" to the site.

The problem with Japan is that those people basically live on top of each other. Losing even 25 sq miles is a big deal to them. So how many people has this displaced?

And for the ones that believe Fukushima rad is going to be "that terrible", better visit Hawaii soon.
    It's getting pretty close according to the map.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    My wife has a FB account. I read some of the stuff she comes across.

One dose is good for 24 hours before your body begins absorbing and discharging.

14,000,000 pills is 7,000,000 doses
    7,000,000 doses means 1,000,000 people get a dose for a week.

Like I said earlier, KI is a throw-back to the cold war when propoganda struck fear into the souls of the masses.
    Fearing widespread nuclear contamination from non-military sources is foolish. Please read on ...

Two reasons ... weapons grade U238 is highly enriched ... commercial grade U235 is a fraction of that potency.
    Example: The hoopla surrounding Iran's nuke program is they were using repurposed, weapons grade U238 to fuel their power reactors.

Why should we not fear a Fukishima type event here?
    Fukishima was a very early designed BWR. Most BWRs in the US have been decommissioned.

So the OT posts about KI pills is much more complicated answer.

I appreciate the kind answer. Most of that i already knew.

My only concern is with putting too much faith in technology. Fukashima should have been fine but they got a one two punch. Chernobyl was a mess and the cowboy scientists/operators plus a bad design were to blame.

So most BWRs here have been done away with but there are still a few dozen out there.

The PWRs are considered safer but could this event still not have happened if the Fukushima plant was a PWR? Perhaps it wouldnt have been as bad but those reactors have to be cooled with water as well.

Top Bottom