• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Just a reminder that the next Premier San Antonio Gun Show is in about a week and a half, on August 30 & 31!

We should be going on Saturday as usual, with breakfast beforehand at Teran's.

Given that unless a settlement is reached with Bexar County, who own the Freeman Expo Center, concerning the cost of parking (Premier is paying for it at the moment, but Bexar County wants to double what they charge them for it making it essentially fiscally nonviable for the show to continue) this could be the last show in SA. :(

I will see if I can get more info on that situation, but in the mean time please chime in if you expect to be going...

Cheers! M2
    Target Sports

Dash Riprock

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Austin
    Just a reminder that the next Premier San Antonio Gun Show is in about a week and a half, on August 30 & 31!

Given that unless a settlement is reached with Bexar County, who own the Freeman Expo Center, concerning the cost of parking (Premier is paying for it at the moment, but Bexar County wants to double what they charge them for it making it essentially fiscally nonviable for the show to continue) this could be the last show in SA. :(

I will see if I can get more info on that situation, but in the mean time please chime in if you expect to be going...

Cheers! M2

You think this is just greed on the part of Bexar County, or a backdoor way to run a gun show out of town?

Dash Riprock

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Austin
    When Travis county ran off Saxet, I assumed it was just a matter of time before other cities or counties followed suit. Don't know if that's the case here but do you know if Bexar county is charging other event organizers the same rate? If not, I would think Premier would have a slam dunk lawsuit on their hands.

Sure wish Abbott would step in and put a stop to it. Maybe after the election.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    When Travis county ran off Saxet, I assumed it was just a matter of time before other cities or counties followed suit. Don't know if that's the case here but do you know if Bexar county is charging other event organizers the same rate? If not, I would think Premier would have a slam dunk lawsuit on their hands.

To be honest, I believe Premier is the only show promoter that uses the Freeman Expo Hall and pays for the parking...

I don't think it is an anti-gun attitude on the part of the county as much as it is greed or even possibly risk-avoidance. This ain't Travis County and the backlash if such actions were taking place would be a lot greater than in Austin.

Sure wish Abbott would step in and put a stop to it. Maybe after the election.

Not sure if that is within his authority as the state attorney general...

RunnerRunner

Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Nov 15, 2013

Cheers! M2

It is the last. Next one is Jan 2015 at the Shrine.

Dash Riprock

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Austin
    To be honest, I believe Premier is the only show promoter that uses the Freeman Expo Hall and pays for the parking...

I don't think it is an anti-gun attitude on the part of the county as much as it is greed or even possibly risk-avoidance. This ain't Travis County and the backlash if such actions were taking place would be a lot greater than in Austin.

Not sure if that is within his authority as the state attorney general...

Perhaps I don't understand the arrangement, but why does the fact that Premier pays for the parking matter? I assume the county collects a fee for each vehicle that parks there - whether it comes from the pocket of the attendee or the organizer shouldn't matter to the county. If it's, say, $5 per car for Premier it better be $5 per car for every other event, and if they raise it to $10 for Premier they better raise it to $10 for everybody else. Otherwise, that's discrimination on the part of the county and you're darned right the AG has a duty to step in and stop it, just like he should have stepped in and filed charges against Sam Biscoe for imposing a condition on Saxet that Biscoe had no legal authority to impose.

Maybe in lieu of a per car charge, Premier agrees to a set amount to be paid regardless of attendance. That would make it trickier to prove discrimination, but not necessarily impossible. Again, I don't know your situation in Bexar and I'm sure you want to believe that you're not as far gone as Travis, but I put nothing - NOTHING - past liberals.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Perhaps I don't understand the arrangement, but why does the fact that Premier pays for the parking matter? I assume the county collects a fee for each vehicle that parks there - whether it comes from the pocket of the attendee or the organizer shouldn't matter to the county. If it's, say, $5 per car for Premier it better be $5 per car for every other event, and if they raise it to $10 for Premier they better raise it to $10 for everybody else. Otherwise, that's discrimination on the part of the county and you're darned right the AG has a duty to step in and stop it, just like he should have stepped in and filed charges against Sam Biscoe for imposing a condition on Saxet that Biscoe had no legal authority to impose.

Maybe in lieu of a per car charge, Premier agrees to a set amount to be paid regardless of attendance. That would make it trickier to prove discrimination, but not necessarily impossible. Again, I don't know your situation in Bexar and I'm sure you want to believe that you're not as far gone as Travis, but I put nothing - NOTHING - past liberals.

For one, Premier pays for the parking to save the show attendees from doing so. It was done to draw more people to the show, but unfortunately it didn't produce the results they hoped for!

But it's all moot now given that Premier will be at a new, better location (the Alzafar Temple at 901 North Loop 1604 W) starting in January 2015. This venue, while not as big and open as the Freeman Expo Center, is in a better part of town and will likely bring in more participants. There used to be gun shows held there and the vendors that I talked to said they did pretty well at that location, so that's another plus. About the only downside is now we have to find another place to have our pre-show breakfasts, but we've got about four months to figure that out. The first Premier shows at Alzafar will be 10-11 Jan 2015!

Cheers! M2

mak91

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Signs up at the show (handwritten) indicated the next show is at the Alzafar shrine Jan 10-11.

Heinz Bar

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Spring Branch
    Ok show today. Good breakfast! Bought a 9mm Shield with a thumb safety for $370. Could have got it online for $329 but they are OOS. New flat OWB holster to go with it too.

10mm and 45

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 11, 2012
    San Antonio
    List of breakfast places near Shrine. Luby's, Jim's, Le Peep, Panera, Whataburger, and Chik-fil-a. A little further out you have Magnolia Pancake Haus and Kolache Stop. That's all I can think of at the moment.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    List of breakfast places near Shrine. Luby's, Jim's, Le Peep, Panera, Whataburger, and Chik-fil-a. A little further out you have Magnolia Pancake Haus and Kolache Stop. That's all I can think of at the moment.

Le Peep might be an option, Magnolia Pancake Haus has never really impressed me and it's expensive. Kolache Stop seems to have a fairly limited menu of just kolaches (big surprise there! :D ).

The biggest concern is being able to accommodate our group of 15-20+ folks!

Anger

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 7, 2010
    Washington MI (glorious in summer)
    Overall a good show which ended on an up note. I got to see LOTS of familiar faces. I even got a FREE scolding :clown:. It's ok, I like being spanked:whip: ....not really.

Too bad we have to wait till January for another one! Kudos to Tim and Michelle for finding another venue.

10mm and 45

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 11, 2012
    San Antonio
    Le Peep might be an option, Magnolia Pancake Haus has never really impressed me and it's expensive. Kolache Stop seems to have a fairly limited menu of just kolaches (big surprise there! :D ).

The biggest concern is being able to accommodate our group of 15-20+ folks!

Yeah Le Peep is a small place.

Top Bottom