• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    I have followed this thread for a few days and find it noteworthy that no one has commented on prices, especially ammo and firearms.

Several years ago, members of this forum were targeted by thieves. The thieves hit events that were highlighted on this forum, especially shooting events.

I have learned that criminal gangs frequent social media looking for targets. Gun owners are particularly vulnerable because we tend to announce precise dates, places, and times of our activities. Others, too, are vulnerable because they disclose their vacation plans detailing how long they will be away from home.

The thieves stake those places out, identify vehicles by make and model and license plate, then follow the vehicles when they depart the event. Sometimes, they will put a little sticker on a tire or bumper the driver would not likely notice, but is a cue for other gang members. They clean out the vehicle and remove the sticker when they leave.

If the targeted vehicle stops in any parking lot, there is a high probability it will be broken in to. If the vehicle goes directly to a residence, then that residence gets targeted for burglary.

Loose lips sink ships.

duckknot

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2013
    Leander, TX
    I am glad we can find a little humor in this situation, but I still feel bad and somewhat responsible as I am the one that always advocates getting together for breakfast before these shows!

While we've been having our IHOP "meetings" for some years now, this is the first time that I know of where anything has happened. Of course there was the theft from Anger's truck at a previous SAXET show but somehow I attributed that to some slimeball vendor (yes, there are a few). However, I never expect anyone would experience property stolen from their vehicles; and if it were to happen, most likely it would have been me for the obvious reasons.

I think the best solution to this is to park at the show (yes, even if that means paying for that "privilege") but getting there early would still mean we would at least be out front of the venue instead of towards the side or back. There is a visible security presence that hopefully would deter most thieves. It's sad that it's come to this, but we must face the reality that most likely someone was targeting show participants and unfortunately two of our brethren were victims...

Don't beat yourself up man....people should be able to spend time with friends without worrying about some punk ass thug trying to steal his stuff. Don't beat yourself up over another person's decisions/actions!

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Don't beat yourself up man....people should be able to spend time with friends without worrying about some punk ass thug trying to steal his stuff. Don't beat yourself up over another person's decisions/actions!

Thanks, I just feel bad that it happened to two really good friends.

The really ironic thing is that some people don't like the Premier show because of its location over next to the AT&T Center. Honestly, I think the neighborhood around the SAXET show is worse...but I do remember that the SAPD was arresting someone next to the restaurant next to where we had breakfast before the last Premier show! :P

Last edited:

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I have followed this thread for a few days and find it noteworthy that no one has commented on prices, especially ammo and firearms.

Several years ago, members of this forum were targeted by thieves. The thieves hit events that were highlighted on this forum, especially shooting events.

I have learned that criminal gangs frequent social media looking for targets. Gun owners are particularly vulnerable because we tend to announce precise dates, places, and times of our activities. Others, too, are vulnerable because they disclose their vacation plans detailing how long they will be away from home.

The thieves stake those places out, identify vehicles by make and model and license plate, then follow the vehicles when they depart the event. Sometimes, they will put a little sticker on a tire or bumper the driver would not likely notice, but is a cue for other gang members. They clean out the vehicle and remove the sticker when they leave.

If the targeted vehicle stops in any parking lot, there is a high probability it will be broken in to. If the vehicle goes directly to a residence, then that residence gets targeted for burglary.

Loose lips sink ships.

Honestly, I think you are giving these criminals a little too much credit for being smart and sophisticated. I've meet some of these individuals, and they are not that sharp.

I believe they are aware of the show simply because of all the advertising associated with it, realize that restaurants close by are likely eating places for those going to the show, and sit and observe. Once they realize someone is walking over to the show, the know it's likely they will be gone for a while.

Plus, unfortunately Greg just unluckily parked in a spot and manner that made that side of his truck unobservable from inside the restaurant.

Still, you'd think these peckerwoods would realize that stealing from people going to a gun show might not be the smartest move in the book. But like I said, 'smart' isn't a common characteristic amongst that crowd...

BIGPAPIGREG

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    San Antonio, TEXAS
    It isn't your fault Mike, we are BIG BOYS...:green:
    It isn't anybody's fault.....it is, unfortunately, something that goes on in this world. We are not immune to it, it is what it is. I don't like it any more than you. We shall endeavor to persevere Bigun.....:peace:

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Honestly, I think you are giving these criminals a little too much credit for being smart and sophisticated. I've meet some of these individuals, and they are not that sharp.

I believe they are aware of the show simply because of all the advertising associated with it, realize that restaurants close by are likely eating places for those going to the show, and sit and observe. Once they realize someone is walking over to the show, the know it's likely they will be gone for a while.

Plus, unfortunately Greg just unluckily parked in a spot and manner that made that side of his truck unobservable from inside the restaurant.

Still, you'd think these peckerwoods would realize that stealing from people going to a gun show might not be the smartest move in the book. But like I said, 'smart' isn't a common characteristic amongst that crowd...

Not to disagree in the aggregate, but we underestimate the threat at our own peril. Until one of those "Peckerwoods" gets put down by a gun show patron, their behavior will continue unabated.

Be Well.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Just realized that SAXET is this weekend. I honestly am not planning on going, been a busy couple of weeks and I really need to catch up on some rest and other things around the house. Plus I have a commitment in the afternoon already.

Still, if there's a crowd planning to go I might drag my butt out of bed; as the main reason I love going to these shows are all the great people that show up! Pipe up if you're planning to go, and if so, whether breakfast is a part of those plans. Otherwise, I'll be catching up on the ZZZZzzzzzzz....

Cheers! M2

picker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2014
    TX Hill Country
    I think some of these punks don't hafta be too smart 2 or 3 of them sit and watch when they see a target one thug follows at a safe distance while talking to his thug friends on a cell phone telling them exactly where you are and how much time they got when they get what they want just drive by and pick up the punk that followed.
    Not a sophisticated scheme but very effective.
    best/joe

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Is anyone going to Saxet this weekend?? Breakfast at IHOP?

Not sure, just went to Premier last weekend and really don't have much motivation to go to another SAXET show.

However, a bud from work may be going and if he does, we may as well.

If we do, it'll be IHOP at 8am as usual on Saturday!

Cheers! M2

Top Bottom