C34D92B5-3E9E-4542-9084-B6CEA45A4D8F.png
    73E83451-680B-46AA-BDDB-A04114D68EF0.jpeg

KJQ6945

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2020
    Ben Wheeler
    The two Black Rat Snakes in the blue tote are in fact mating. I got called to catch the female on Friday, then the male on Saturday. They were both raiding birds nests in our old campground.
    Proper way to weight the lid down when you have two 5 plus foot snakes in a tote.;)

00992318-5806-427E-9376-0E0E435C7557.png

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    KJQ6945,

FYI, for the 1st time in my memory at 74YO, I just heard an outright WARNING MESSAGE from the TX Health Department on the radio about RATTLERS in the Bluebonnet fields.

The rattle-tails must be extra THICK on the ground this year??

yours, satx

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    First safari I went on in Africa we wanted to hunt over bait at night. I shot vervet monkey earlier in the morning & it would be the bait.

We built a ground blind & wired the monkey to nearby tree. The blind was 2 people wide with room behind for the P.H. We had moulded plastic chairs in it.

We had 2 PVS-14’s and a short double barreled shotgun with 00 buckshot in it. The gun had a SureFire combat light rigged For some reason I gave my night vision to the P.H., I had the gun.

My buddy Charlie was sitting to my left as close as the chairs could be. Only one of us could get in or out at a time. The P.H. sat behind us blocking the exit.

They start seeing birds & jackels. I can’t see the gun in my hands. Next I hear hyhena. I slow pick the gun from the rest built into the blind.

I can’t hear the greatest but I heard something moving from right to left. Next thing my buddy tells me to stop phucing with him! So he thinks I have a stick poking his boot. Ilike no I ain’t!

He turns on the IR illuminator and sees a vipers head shape at his right boot. Trying to stay calm he tells us what’s up.The P.H. Has to move out of both of our ways. I tell Charlie on 3 get out & I’ll use the light. Needless to say Charlie is gone on one! I start to stand while redirecting the shotgun. Just as the light comes on a puff adder strikes. The shotgun blast the tail end off with my second barrel taking out just below the head.

Puff Adders are like the #1 killers in Africa. That snake was what I heard. It crawled my cold blooded ass to try forCharlie

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    First safari I went on in Africa we wanted to hunt over bait at night. I shot vervet monkey earlier in the morning & it would be the bait.

We built a ground blind & wired the monkey to nearby tree. The blind was 2 people wide with room behind for the P.H. We had moulded plastic chairs in it.

We had 2 PVS-14’s and a short double barreled shotgun with 00 buckshot in it. The gun had a SureFire combat light rigged For some reason I gave my night vision to the P.H., I had the gun.

My buddy Charlie was sitting to my left as close as the chairs could be. Only one of us could get in or out at a time. The P.H. sat behind us blocking the exit.

They start seeing birds & jackels. I can’t see the gun in my hands. Next I hear hyhena. I slow pick the gun from the rest built into the blind.

I can’t hear the greatest but I heard something moving from right to left. Next thing my buddy tells me to stop phucing with him! So he thinks I have a stick poking his boot. Ilike no I ain’t!

He turns on the IR illuminator and sees a vipers head shape at his right boot. Trying to stay calm he tells us what’s up.The P.H. Has to move out of both of our ways. I tell Charlie on 3 get out & I’ll use the light. Needless to say Charlie is gone on one! I start to stand while redirecting the shotgun. Just as the light comes on a puff adder strikes. The shotgun blast the tail end off with my second barrel taking out just below the head.

Puff Adders are like the #1 killers in Africa. That snake was what I heard. It crawled my cold blooded ass to try forCharlie

baboon,

WOW. Just WOW.'
    NEEDLESS TO SAY, that was the END of the hunt for that night.

Out of curiosity, were you intending to hunt leopard??

ADDENDA: An old boarding school chum went on safari in 2004 & awakened one morning with a 3 foot coiled/sleeping cobra under his cot.
    (When Ronny passed away last year, he was still telling the story about the snake being removed from under his bed. - He always said, that he never knew WHY he looked under the bed that day before getting up BUT that he always did AFTER that morning.)

yours, satx

Last edited:

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    baboon,

WOW. Just WOW.'
    NEEDLESS TO SAY, that was the END of the hunt for that night.

Out of curiosity, were you intending to hunt leopard??

yours, satx
    We went out nightly on most trips. All kinds of crazy things come out at night. Genets, civets, most all of the cats and poachers!
    My buddy shot a leopard, having more money then myself

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    We went out nightly on most trips. All kinds of crazy things come out at night. Genets, civets, most all of the cats and poachers!
    My buddy shot a leopard, having more money then myself

baboon,

I've likely told you before this but "she who must be obeyed" has STATED that she wants a "pretty spotted pussycat pelt" to drape over the LR couch and wants a zebra skin rug for the fireplace area in the den.

yours, satx

Top Bottom