• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I have a picture of a a cobra that I shot blowing its head off with my S&W model 27. Minus the head it’s 6 foot long.

We hunted in their winters and always seen snakes I spent an hour one afternoon watching a secretary bird hunting for snakes.

Defiantly had some great adventures in Africa.
    Gun Zone Deals

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    baboon,

I've likely told you before this but "she who must be obeyed" has STATED that she wants a "pretty spotted pussycat pelt" to drape over the LR couch and wants a zebra skin rug for the fireplace area in the den.

yours, satx
    Good luck with that! The one place I hunted the most was the mountain with the spots of the leopard.

Staying up all night in the blackness and cold of night ain’t easy. Good chance you will never see one. Better chance one will get come to bait and you might hear it. If you never see tracks on the bait in the morning your doing it all wrong.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    I have a picture of a a cobra that I shot blowing its head off with my S&W model 27. Minus the head it’s 6 foot long.

We hunted in their winters and always seen snakes I spent an hour one afternoon watching a secretary bird hunting for snakes.

baboon,

I'm sure that you did.

FYI, I've now "put off going" on safari for the 4th time, due to various family health "issues" (ONE of which was Mother's final illness/passing), that "put off" previous hunts BUT I have to do it this year OR at the latest next year, while I'm still ABLE to GO HUNTING.

Note: my Lady is "not very happy" about me wanting to put a CAPE BUFF head/shoulder trophy on our den wall. = Her comment, "There is NOTHING 'even a little bit pretty' about one of those. Those things are REALLY, REALLY UGLY. "

yours, satx

Last edited:

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014

baboon,

What are the rules for carrying a revolver to Africa & wearing one on your belt for dispatching snakes??
    (I purely hate the idea of being in "Mr. Venomous Snake's country" W/O my trusty revolver & LOADED WITH SHOT.)

I long ago lost count of the Cottonmouths that I've killed while hunting/fishing in NETX & in South LA with my S&W Model 65 loaded with shot-shells.
    (I usually let even Cottonmouths alone unless they "decide to get in my business" OR "get close & personal", in which case the Model 65 speaks.)

yours, satx

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    baboon,

What are the rules for carrying a revolver to Africa & wearing one on your belt for dispatching snakes??
    (I purely hate the idea of being in "Mr. Venomous Snake's country" W/O my trusty revolver & LOADED WITH SHOT.)

I long ago lost count of the Cottonmouths that I've killed while hunting/fishing in NETX & in South LA with my S&W Model 65 loaded with shot-shells.
    (I usually let even Cottonmouths alone unless they "decide to get in my business" OR "get close & personal", in which case the Model 65 speaks.)

yours, satx
    What it was 20 years ago my not be the same. First trip if your brought a pistol you could carry it in towns. That changed the 10 years I hunted.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    baboon,

I'm sure that you did.

FYI, I've now "put off going" on safari for the 4th time, due to various family health "issues" (ONE of which was Mother's final illness/passing), that "put off" previous hunts BUT I have to do it this year OR at the latest next year, while I'm still ABLE to GO HUNTING.

Note: my Lady is "not very happy" about me wanting to put a CAPE BUFF head/shoulder trophy on our den wall. = Her comment, "There is NOTHING 'even a little bit pretty' about one of those. Those things are REALLY, REALLY UGLY. "

yours, satx

I thought you were going to SE Asia to go Gaur hunting? Man, you must be rolling in money. Globe-trotting all over to go hunting, and moving to Spain, Portugal, or Italy to buy an old villa to restore. Must be nice to be you.

KJQ6945

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2020
    Ben Wheeler
    He’s hidden in there pretty well. I had just released it, so I knew exactly where he was.

C2A7C017-8C4E-46B3-9569-A95684B7AD14.png

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    I can just barely make it out now. Yep! I'd probably gotten bit if he wanted to.
    Some folks think that so many people get bit on the hands or arms because they are playing with snakes.

This is why so many people get bitten on the hands or arms. Can't see 'em. They hide behind, beside, under something where a person happens to be reaching down. Ouch.

lonestardiver

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Eagle Mountain Lake area
    I just now found this thread. Looked at a piece of property last week and found this little guy.

View attachment 250452 View attachment 250453 When I approached him, he quickly went into the classic, Water Moccasin defensive posture. I couldn’t get him to display his cottonmouth for the camera.

Appears to be an aberrant specimen, basically an oddity due to the luck of the genes.

Now with that said, there are the darker specimens that are almost black but if you look close you can see the pattern. Then there are the lighter ones that can be confused with a copperhead.

Water Moccasins and Copperheads are the same genus just different species.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Kevin you bring the snakes I have the grill.

Hell I doubt that I would have to go far to find a snake around here. Just warned the wife about her new dawg getting out and getting bite.

Most dogs figure out getting bit once, to leave the snakes alone. I have one of the older dogs, "Fatboy" has been bitten at least seven times. I love the rascal, but he sure is a dummy when it comes to snakes!

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Most dogs figure out getting bit once, to leave the snakes alone. I have one of the older dogs, "Fatboy" has been bitten at least seven times. I love the rascal, but he sure is a dummy when it comes to snakes!
    Aint so worried about the dawg, but rather how the wife would be freaked out! Her mom had a dog that didn't survive a bite so i know she would be freaking out.

Years ago her dog was phocking with a grinner while her and the neighbor lady freaked out & tried to stop it. The dog got bite, tooth broke off in the dogs forearm.

Vet was just as stupid as she stitched up the dog but didn't put a lamp shade on him. First thing the dog did was pull out the stitches.

It was a trifecta of stupid women!

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Aint so worried about the dawg, but rather how the wife would be freaked out! Her mom had a dog that didn't survive a bite so i know she would be freaking out.

Years ago her dog was phocking with a grinner while her and the neighbor lady freaked out & tried to stop it. The dog got bite, tooth broke off in the dogs forearm.

Vet was just as stupid as she stitched up the dog but didn't put a lamp shade on him. First thing the dog did was pull out the stitches.

It was a trifecta of stupid women!

Susie, right after she got snakebit when she was just little thing. I brought her inside, which was just going to be a couple of days to keep an eye on her. That was about eight months ago!

8NozIKYl.jpg

She recovered quite well and is growing still.

pSpZs5tl.jpg

cygunner

Devil's Den - Gettysburg
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2021
    Cypress, TX
    Many years ago we bought our first house, a custom built, one owner on some property a doctor owned and subdivided. Doc still lived there and we had some good barbecues, fish fries and dove hunts together. He had an old lab or two that wandered the property. One day about dinnertime he came driving up the lane and I figured something was up. Sure enough the old lady lab was in the car, head about the size of a basketball. He wanted me to call my vet across the river and see if he would wait for us to bring the dog. On the way he said he thought she had weed poisoning and he was going to give her an antihistamine shot. I said maybe she had been snakebit but he disagreed. We got there and he repeated his story to the vet who had immediately proclaimed snakebite and showed us the fang marks with two little droplets of blood oozing out. When he got to the part about the antihistamine shot the vet said "could have killed her". Treatment wasn't much and we were to take her home and keep her quiet.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom