• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Some folks think that so many people get bit on the hands or arms because they are playing with snakes.

This is why so many people get bitten on the hands or arms. Can't see 'em. They hide behind, beside, under something where a person happens to be reaching down. Ouch.

Copperheads are for the most part pretty docile and just want to be left alone. They do like flowerbeds, and I know of several people that have been nearly bitten from working their flowerbeds.

billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands
    This SOB bit me on the gloved finger this last October. I was moving an Azealia bush and the bstard was like a snake in the grass. I wore his ass out with a long handled shovel.
    1617662936587.jpeg

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Many years ago we bought our first house, a custom built, one owner on some property a doctor owned and subdivided. Doc still lived there and we had some good barbecues, fish fries and dove hunts together. He had an old lab or two that wandered the property. One day about dinnertime he came driving up the lane and I figured something was up. Sure enough the old lady lab was in the car, head about the size of a basketball. He wanted me to call my vet across the river and see if he would wait for us to bring the dog. On the way he said he thought she had weed poisoning and he was going to give her an antihistamine shot. I said maybe she had been snakebit but he disagreed. We got there and he repeated his story to the vet who had immediately proclaimed snakebite and showed us the fang marks with two little droplets of blood oozing out. When he got to the part about the antihistamine shot the vet said "could have killed her". Treatment wasn't much and we were to take her home and keep her quiet.

cygunner,

UNDERSTOOD.
    FWIW, my Uncle Wayne once had an English liver-spotted Pointer who must have been snakebit 5-6 times or more in her long life.
    (She died of old age about 4 decades ago, at about 15YO.)

My Uncle always said that she was once a TEXAS AGGIE, as she seemed to not learn anything from experience.
    (Fwiw, our whole family, except for my kid sister, are ORANGEBLOODS. ------- Nancy is a BAYLOR BEAR & a BU fanatic.)

yours, satx

cygunner

Devil's Den - Gettysburg
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2021
    Cypress, TX
    cygunner,

UNDERSTOOD.
    FWIW, my Uncle Wayne once had an English liver-spotted Pointer who must have been snakebit 5-6 times or more in her long life.
    (She died of old age about 4 decades ago, at about 15YO.)

My Uncle always said that she was once a TEXAS AGGIE, as she seemed to not learn anything from experience.
    (Fwiw, our whole family, except for my kid sister, are ORANGEBLOODS. ------- Nancy is a BAYLOR BEAR & a BU fanatic.)

yours, satx
    Well, my daughter is an Aggie so I will hold comment. Bird dogs, especially those thoroughly trained and broke for field trial competition have pointed snakes pretty often, especially in south Georgia and Florida where the really big stinky ones lurk. During a spring workout, one of mine pointed a turtle pretty as you please.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Copperheads are for the most part pretty docile and just want to be left alone. They do like flowerbeds, and I know of several people that have been nearly bitten from working their flowerbeds.

A childhood friend of mine was bit by a copperhead when she was about 10 years old around 1980. Stepped off her grandmother's porch and the snake was hiding under it. Scary situation, but she survived and fully recovered.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    A childhood friend of mine was bit by a copperhead when she was about 10 years old around 1980. Stepped off her grandmother's porch and the snake was hiding under it. Scary situation, but she survived and fully recovered.

A friend of mine, his his wife and daughter were weeding their flowerbed that was in the front of their house, and his daughter got bit by a small copperhead on the finger. She recovered just fine.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014

General Zod,

When my 1ST cousin's younger son was about 4YO, he was sitting/playing at the picnic table in front of the farmhouse
    My sister came outside to bring "Tom" a bowl of ice cream & she NEARLY HAD A HEART ATTACK, as there was a HUGE COTTONMOUTH coiled up in "easy striking distance" of Tom's bare legs. = NOT being "capable of speech", she ran into the house & told Mother.
    (Mother in her youth, was quite a horsewoman, outdoorswoman, a good shot in her youth & as CALM in a crisis as most anyone that I've ever known.)

She calmly grabbed her long-barreled Colt's WOODSMAN .22, silently walked outside, said "SIT STILL, BABY" & then dispatched the snake, with a single shot to the head.
    (When I got back from town, Mother quietly said, " Buddy, Get rid of the dead snake under the picnic table, please. --- We're having company for Supper". = FYI, the snake was 44" long & as big around as my bicep.)

yours, satx

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    To All,

Speaking of Cottonmouths, I'm looking for a "good size" dark-colored with a "good pattern" Cottonmouth to make into a hatband.
    IF any of you catch/tan snakes, I would be a BUYER for a good/tanned skin.
    (I've seen NO suitable Cottonmouths around SATX. = The ones that I've seen here aren't "presentable", as they have little/NO diamond pattern.)

yours, satx

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    Well, my daughter is an Aggie so I will hold comment. Bird dogs, especially those thoroughly trained and broke for field trial competition have pointed snakes pretty often, especially in south Georgia and Florida where the really big stinky ones lurk. During a spring workout, one of mine pointed a turtle pretty as you please.
    Ags are tough enough the snake just dies after bitting them. My Sis (tea sip) is getting her dog vaccinated for Rattle Snakes this week and then taking him to a “ snake avoidance ” class held by snake wrangler to teach the dog not to mess with snakes. He says it only takes about 10 minutes.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    To All,

Speaking of Cottonmouths, I'm looking for a "good size" dark-colored with a "good pattern" Cottonmouth to make into a hatband.
    IF any of you catch/tan snakes, I would be a BUYER for a good/tanned skin.
    (I've seen NO suitable Cottonmouths around SATX. = The ones that I've seen here aren't "presentable", as they have little/NO diamond pattern.)

yours, satx

You should learn how to use Google.

cygunner

Devil's Den - Gettysburg
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2021
    Cypress, TX
    Until I was 7 we had an outdoor "facility". One day as I was sitting down to my business, probably scanning the Sears Roebuck catalog, I glanced up and in the rafters was a very long black snake. Without stopping to do anything including pulling up and buckling my bib overalls I tore out for the house yelling snake at the top of my lungs. My father sort of practiced the dead snake good snake philosophy of the times and shot it with a .22. Of course the deceased reptile fell into the below the seat area. My father got a long stick and fished him out. I asked him why he bothered and he said "son there's stink and there's STINK". Since I worshiped the ground he walked on that was good enough for me.

Top Bottom