• ...and so much more!
  • Texas45

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2020
    Not where you are
    That is juvenile/adolescent Copperhead. You can see the discoloration at the tip of his tail still. When they are young, it’s yellow. Definitely not something you want on your porch.

Took out this CH on the land this evening.
    3rd one in the same general local by what we refer to now asCopperhead tree.
    56dea4e9d5fd87fa4141cde0e4bbcaf2.jpg

22 magnum Fd up his head purdy good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Took out this CH on the land this evening.
    3rd one in the same general local by what we refer to now asCopperhead tree.
    56dea4e9d5fd87fa4141cde0e4bbcaf2.jpg

22 magnum Fd up his head purdy good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A friend shared something the other day that since the cicadas are out in force, the copperheads - who love them some cicadas - will be found near the bases of trees and often in the branches of smaller trees, as they're going after their buggy meals. We have so much damn brush on our property at the moment I've been extra careful while walking the puppers or just walking our property. I don't want to run face-first into a copperhead.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    My son bought a house, I guess it was last month, maybe the month before. He was in his yard recently and came across this little guy; in his text to me he said he almost stepped on it:

IMG_3949.jpg

That is a really nice specimen and a specimen is what it wound up being - albeit headless - after he whacked it. It is amazing a thing as beautiful as that can kill you (although most Copperhead bites are not fatal but certainly can be agonizing).

641253408.jpg

He also found a nice baby three toed box turtle a day or two ago:

IMG_3937.jpg

641079146.jpg

I guess he bought his house in a herpetological Paradise! Of course, he did not behead the box turtle, in fact he is hoping to keep it.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Saturday night coming home around 8:30, we're pulling up to our driveway, I see this guy in the street. He'd pretty obviously came off our property, and got hit by a car (I think the car that met us about 500 feet before our driveway)

nsX5Lzg.jpg

I stopped because I haven't seen any venomous snakes yet this year, and wanted to verify what it was. Was my wife's first encounter with a dangerous snake since moving here, she was both thrilled and scared.

We went out half an hour later to see if he had moved or succumbed to his wound, and unfortunately for him, he didn't make it. He laid in the road for a day and then something came along and ate him (most of him, they left a little patch of skin behind)

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    Saturday night coming home around 8:30, we're pulling up to our driveway, I see this guy in the street. He'd pretty obviously came off our property, and got hit by a car (I think the car that met us about 500 feet before our driveway)

nsX5Lzg.jpg

I stopped because I haven't seen any venomous snakes yet this year, and wanted to verify what it was. Was my wife's first encounter with a dangerous snake since moving here, she was both thrilled and scared.

We went out half an hour later to see if he had moved or succumbed to his wound, and unfortunately for him, he didn't make it. He laid in the road for a day and then something came along and ate him (most of him, they left a little patch of skin behind)
    Looks like an example of the rare, venomous "couldabeenahatband snake.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    MTA89,

FYI, we seem to have "a BUMPER CROP" of assorted sorts of Pit Vipers this Spring in TX.
    (The Nature Center in Boerne & our other similar Centers have had a GREAT MANY reports of RATTLERS, COPPERHEADS & COTTONMOUTHS, already since 01MAR21. - So far, I know of NO reports of CORAL SNAKE sightings.)

yours, satx
    TMN, Alamo Area Chapter

Last edited:

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Looks like an example of the rare, venomous "couldabeenahatband snake.

I was thinking I'd like his skin, but there was more damage than was visible in the pix, so I'm going to wait for a better specimen to come along. Besides, this was a juvenile, so it wouldn't have made a very large skin

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    I typically walk my dog out in the country after dark. I wear a very bright head light for that very reason. I can't hear shit.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Top Bottom