• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    We do container gardening in grow boxes. Almost everything works well. Unfortunately mockingbirds get at least half of our tomatoes and every year, little white bugs ruin our cucumbers overnight. I've given up on cukes.
    Birds tend to go after tomatoes because they're thirsty. Try putting an accessible source of water in sight of them.

Imidacloprid can probably help with the white bugs. Not sure what those are from that description, though.

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    I just got some of mine tilled yesterday. Then started barfing. Stomach bug going around my family. I have an old tiller that my neighbor gave me that I got running again, but it seems a little dangerous. No dead mans switch, and if you let go while it's running and engaged, it will just keep going. Also I still have some buried roots in the bed, so that makes it a lot harder.

Last year, I did the corn wrong, and just planted a couple of rows. I need to break ground on a square bed out on the end of my existing garden and plant in a big square, maybe six rows. That should pollinate better.

Another thing I'm trying is crushing pecan shells (and cracked rotten pecans) pretty fine and mixing them in. It lightens the soil, but I'm not sure if it does much else. I'm also crushing hardwood lump charcoal down pretty small then soaking it in fertilizer and lactobacillus to see if I can get something like tera preta going.

I have no tractor in suburbia, so breaking the ground is going to be a challenge. The tiller definitely does not like it. But it's st augustine grass over typical houston gumbo, so it needs some serious help.

Last year I had tons of cucumbers, far more than we could eat, until they got something and died back. Did a little corn and hope to improve. Tomatoes are easy enough. Also doing squash, zucchini, eggplant, chard, and collards.

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    grow lettuce in the summer using "waste cooling". Good luck with that, I tried years ago in DFW. Nice thick bitter leaves. Needs cool weather to grow anything but kale. Helped make gopher baskets couple weeks ago for the kids place, they planted a bunch of fruit trees, didn't get the pecans in the ground yet.

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    grow lettuce in the summer using "waste cooling". Good luck with that, I tried years ago in DFW. Nice thick bitter leaves. Needs cool weather to grow anything but kale. Helped make gopher baskets couple weeks ago for the kids place, they planted a bunch of fruit trees, didn't get the pecans in the ground yet.
    Well the idea is to keep it cool so it doesn't go bitter and bolt. Target temperatures are 60-65 F, so I think I have a chance.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I just got some of mine tilled yesterday. Then started barfing. Stomach bug going around my family. I have an old tiller that my neighbor gave me that I got running again, but it seems a little dangerous. No dead mans switch, and if you let go while it's running and engaged, it will just keep going. Also I still have some buried roots in the bed, so that makes it a lot harder.

I learned on a tiller like this when I was around 12 or 13. I had to lean back the entire time or it would drag me around the garden, lol.

But it was old and heavy. Did a much better job than most similarly sized consumer tillers for sale today. Probably better than the nice big self propelled tillers, but at 10 times the work. You could bury that old one up to the engine if you wanted. Had to rebuild the engine after using it a couple times. OLD Briggs and Stratton on it. Good memories.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    I learned on a tiller like this when I was around 12 or 13. I had to lean back the entire time or it would drag me around the garden, lol.

But it was old and heavy. Did a much better job than most similarly sized consumer tillers for sale today. Probably better than the nice big self propelled tillers, but at 10 times the work. You could bury that old one up to the engine if you wanted. Had to rebuild the engine after using it a couple times. OLD Briggs and Stratton on it. Good memories.

Good times. This one might be about old enough to be that one. It's a troy-bilt horse junior with with a Tecumseh HH-40 engine. Neighbor gave it to me I guess because it didn't run and he didn't want to deal with it. New fuel lines and replacement carb and she runs solid and starts on the first pull.

It just likes pulling off in any random direction if the tines don't bite.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Good times. This one might be about old enough to be that one. It's a troy-bilt horse junior with with a Tecumseh HH-40 engine. Neighbor gave it to me I guess because it didn't run and he didn't want to deal with it. New fuel lines and replacement carb and she runs solid and starts on the first pull.

It just likes pulling off in any random direction if the tines don't bite.

That’s how that one handles. If it got to bouncing it was liable to grab and take off randomly. Once it was buried up pretty good it was fairly controllable, but still made for a heck of a workout.

I kind of miss it.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Planted green beans, potato’s, yellow squash, zucchini, cucumbers for slicing and pickling, lettuce, and corn today. Waiting for things to warm up a little more for the okra and black eye peas. Got 2 rows left in the garden to fill with something.

Second pic is the corn patch.

423709d9b53e39f0d48582aad9bc4f1d.jpg

22657b456303e1342075e07d5013cf9d.jpg

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Planted green beans, potato’s, yellow squash, zucchini, cucumbers for slicing and pickling, lettuce, and corn today. Waiting for things to warm up a little more for the okra and black eye peas. Got 2 rows left in the garden to fill with something.

Second pic is the corn patch.

423709d9b53e39f0d48582aad9bc4f1d.jpg

22657b456303e1342075e07d5013cf9d.jpg

That's a nice size garden!

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    If you like asparagus, plant seeds now but understand you won’t be eating any until next year. But asparagus is a perennial grass and will grow more and better every year if cut back periodically. Plant at least 3-4 dozen seeds. If fertilized and watered, over time it will take care of itself.

Top Bottom