• Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Well, I nearly killed my tomatoes. Went a little too heavy on the hay/manure comport and the soil was a little hot. Watering the hell out of them and they seem to be recovering. Time will tell.

If they make it they should do really well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Well, I nearly killed my tomatoes. Went a little too heavy on the hay/manure comport and the soil was a little hot. Watering the hell out of them and they seem to be recovering. Time will tell.

If they make it they should do really well.

Tomato plants are pretty resilient and unless they are dead, should recover.

OutlawStar

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    Anna
    Something is eating my little sprouts. They look like they've been chewed down to the dirt. Initially I thought it was a local rabbit i sometimes saw not in my back yard. So I did as any gardener and spent $50 on a little rabbit fence. Found some more plants nibbled down. Put a rat trap with peanut butter out over the last couple days and nothing. Is there some worm or bug eating my peas, sunflower, and other fresh sprouts? Pic is a shot of sunflower sprouts that previously had little leaves up.

Feels like my pepper plants are very slow to sprout. I started with those peet pellet starters and most plants sprouted, put them outside and within days they all died or were eaten. I think I'm just done with that method as last year the same thing happened and out of frustration I dumped the seed packets into the dirt and they all did fairly well.

Of course when the 10 day forecast lists a low of 50, I put stuff out there and temps dip into the mid 30s. I thought gardening was supposed to be relaxing!
    wmlLpWhhM6ABXc6beJv6BTLGXvnlmLGFEZnDz2vg-lZFIgQK4iU4kxhmCRgCmmvHbsdU2BNgHqHzJhy2YA0mx7Ifh9B2Bm-bwHRsfoegdjE5Qx8VOVgVOo2zxigJkMEVBjqSuL73048dIpeDNXp61NQtHKyENJM6gNMhyNU5KYkf-3lxSZKRGycig6LRQ29tcLTskW5yPeFmLqRzZSPe-FsnfN0ATY7rS_yrB28oj1AvxrtVJcjK0nIOBpIw8Q4kkpIGOZKOslSXzFGWv0o41vSbGxepREwu3QzN_HOC_g3RSXUguD5Z-888cEDB0q6cM6N1Ge887x1VaxQE1EGYuuAsg67mXmGMVhQv1bUJ-YIROoZ1vLtKaebMBxFQs1ZNvlrT4cAZgiami4L29NNXow7PB3F4cnhVyT8e948M0DnfYdNPh-vXDSRFOnrka4BupL5mMCGVjXRpD1s7-Zzf-_JgvuozlQ7LDLffJqybUXplqC-g35Vh8x4aIKZvaadDsQG5dAjicCDWowGtp6n1y4Zg87N6SguhABzmTbVxAmxkGA4rAQ5dFNDk5E9poA7-u_A5IGdac1ClDkeON8F4zHXZLW4Tdrl5i84zWaz0waKs3eDwDbEWTafgu3cXrCXnVwpYG75pERWfuXb4F-iM4ijReorW3jjgHkshmTt_l_YGT8DM1FR7aeTz_8PtgOYjTTpq50W2kxN6lwr4PL7wWCvpN0ZOLYcbnvUGSq0xRLKsgNvkpb1Uo3DHI_OeZ5yMFIpHzirTNcZDPeju4P8A6G0IYbnot90lJMkJ=w1250-h937-no

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Something is eating my little sprouts. They look like they've been chewed down to the dirt. Initially I thought it was a local rabbit i sometimes saw not in my back yard. So I did as any gardener and spent $50 on a little rabbit fence. Found some more plants nibbled down. Put a rat trap with peanut butter out over the last couple days and nothing. Is there some worm or bug eating my peas, sunflower, and other fresh sprouts?

Feels like my pepper plants are very slow to sprout. I started with those peet pellet starters and most plants sprouted, put them outside and within days they all died or were eaten. I think I'm just done with that method as last year the same thing happened and out of frustration I dumped the seed packets into the dirt and they all did fairly well.

Of course when the 10 day forecast lists a low of 50, I put stuff out there and temps dip into the mid 30s. I thought gardening was supposed to be relaxing!
    As long as you are past the last frost, you're good to go.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Seeing some new signs of life in the garden. Got a bean, 3 potatoes, couple squash, lettuce, and a cucumber that have broken through the surface. Should see it start to fill out over the next few days.

OutlawStar

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    Anna
    I've forgotten where I put some seeds in my dirt and I've noticed some sprouts that I have no idea what they are. I can identify my 2 corns, some dills, 1 of my peppers, canteloupe, and butter lettuce. But my tomatoes seem to have sprouted and vanished, the sunflower seeds were eaten, and my green bean sprouts seem to have died. Gardening is tough but maybe i just went way too early. I'll be happy if my pepper plants do well again.

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    Idk, I looked at blackberries again yesterday. Took 3 off the shelf, argued with myself for a few minutes, and put them back again. Lol

Hardest decision of my life I guess.

Blackberry bushes will grow out of control and need to be trimmed periodically. Also, fruit will only grow on new canes, so you will need to cut them back after they bear fruit. Of course, if left wild, they will still bear fruit, but they’ll be a lot of cane that won’t. I’m not saying they’re a lot of work, because they grow real easy with a little water and very little love, but you do need to commit to one good pruning in the fall every year for best results.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Blackberry bushes will grow out of control and need to be trimmed periodically. Also, fruit will only grow on new canes, so you will need to cut them back after they bear fruit. Of course, if left wild, they will still bear fruit, but they’ll be a lot of cane that won’t. I’m not saying they’re a lot of work, because they grow real easy with a little water and very little love, but you do need to commit to one good pruning in the fall every year for best results.
    Exactly. Helped my father trim and thin his out last weekend. If growing permanently, I'd also suggest some sort of trellis system.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2021
    Victoria, TX
    Mesquite trees finally leafed out so no more freezes. Yellow squash, Zucchini, Cucumbers, Green beans, red potatoes, tomatoes, Purple Hull peas, are all up. Some Spinach, and Romaine still hanging in there from over winter. May still have enough carrots for the kids to pick at Easter. What we need most is a little rain...

Alan

OutlawStar

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    Anna
    Sometime around January I put some sad looking spring onions bought from the store into the dirt and they just never gave up through the freezes. Now I've got this big thing that looks nothing like spring onions. Did I just wait too long to harvest, or what do I even do with this?
    PXL_20220327_141837734.jpg

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    Sometime around January I put some sad looking spring onions bought from the store into the dirt and they just never gave up through the freezes. Now I've got this big thing that looks nothing like spring onions. Did I just wait too long to harvest, or what do I even do with this? View attachment 311018
    You can cut the stalks and cook with them.

I had cut onions back several times and used the stalks for soups.

2ManyGuns

Revolver's, get one, shoot the snot out of it!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    Something is eating my little sprouts. They look like they've been chewed down to the dirt. Initially I thought it was a local rabbit i sometimes saw not in my back yard. So I did as any gardener and spent $50 on a little rabbit fence. Found some more plants nibbled down. Put a rat trap with peanut butter out over the last couple days and nothing. Is there some worm or bug eating my peas, sunflower, and other fresh sprouts? Pic is a shot of sunflower sprouts that previously had little leaves up.

wmlLpWhhM6ABXc6beJv6BTLGXvnlmLGFEZnDz2vg-lZFIgQK4iU4kxhmCRgCmmvHbsdU2BNgHqHzJhy2YA0mx7Ifh9B2Bm-bwHRsfoegdjE5Qx8VOVgVOo2zxigJkMEVBjqSuL73048dIpeDNXp61NQtHKyENJM6gNMhyNU5KYkf-3lxSZKRGycig6LRQ29tcLTskW5yPeFmLqRzZSPe-FsnfN0ATY7rS_yrB28oj1AvxrtVJcjK0nIOBpIw8Q4kkpIGOZKOslSXzFGWv0o41vSbGxepREwu3QzN_HOC_g3RSXUguD5Z-888cEDB0q6cM6N1Ge887x1VaxQE1EGYuuAsg67mXmGMVhQv1bUJ-YIROoZ1vLtKaebMBxFQs1ZNvlrT4cAZgiami4L29NNXow7PB3F4cnhVyT8e948M0DnfYdNPh-vXDSRFOnrka4BupL5mMCGVjXRpD1s7-Zzf-_JgvuozlQ7LDLffJqybUXplqC-g35Vh8x4aIKZvaadDsQG5dAjicCDWowGtp6n1y4Zg87N6SguhABzmTbVxAmxkGA4rAQ5dFNDk5E9poA7-u_A5IGdac1ClDkeON8F4zHXZLW4Tdrl5i84zWaz0waKs3eDwDbEWTafgu3cXrCXnVwpYG75pERWfuXb4F-iM4ijReorW3jjgHkshmTt_l_YGT8DM1FR7aeTz_8PtgOYjTTpq50W2kxN6lwr4PL7wWCvpN0ZOLYcbnvUGSq0xRLKsgNvkpb1Uo3DHI_OeZ5yMFIpHzirTNcZDPeju4P8A6G0IYbnot90lJMkJ=w1250-h937-no
    Slugs.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angee
    Top Bottom