• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2ManyGuns

Revolver's, get one, shoot the snot out of it!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    You can cut the stalks and cook with them.

I had cut onions back several times and used the stalks for soups.
    Dry the greens to save for later use. I have what I call "wandering onions". They look much like yours, I have given several neighbors bunches to start their own onion beds, let the seed fall and make more plants, transplant until you have a nice bed. Mine is about 24" X 24" and gives me plenty to use for seasoning and "storing". If you do not want to dry them, freeze them in small ziploc bags to just dump into your recipes. Frozen easily lasts a year.
    Guns International

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I trim my blackberry plants every other year, from what I remember about my variety the second-year growth is the best producing.
    Dad was talking about that the other day. I'm thinking it depends upon the variety of berry vines you have.

I got more onions and a yellow bell pepper planted this morning. Wife and I are going to Tractor Supply in the morning to pick up more pepper plants, and tomato plants to plant tomorrow afternoon.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Everything is really been picking up since the days got nice and we’ve had some rainfall.

About half the green beans are up. Most of the squash (yellow and zucchini), potato’s are going crazy, and the corn has really filled out. Cucumbers are lagging but should be coming in soon.

If I don’t have to work tomorrow I’ll be putting in 3 rows of black eye peas and 2 rows of okra.

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    Right not, I’ve got tomatoes, potatoes, peppers, cucumber, squash, and pole beans in the raised bed garden, and spinach and collard in the Aquaponics. Gonna be a light year this year.

I may grow more at the second planting in August

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Everything is really been picking up since the days got nice and we’ve had some rainfall.

About half the green beans are up. Most of the squash (yellow and zucchini), potato’s are going crazy, and the corn has really filled out. Cucumbers are lagging but should be coming in soon.

If I don’t have to work tomorrow I’ll be putting in 3 rows of black eye peas and 2 rows of okra.
    Are you planting seeds for the okra? Or plants?

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I'll see if TSC has some okra seeds when we get there.

We should be able to come up with plenty. They have 1lb bulk packs at Atwood’s in Waco.

Planted 2 rows of Okra today for the early season. Hopefully we get a good rain tomorrow evening to kick it off.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Got some tomato plants, bell peppers, cayenne peppers, jalapeno peppers, and some ghost peppers planted. along with more onions, carrots and squash. Picked up some okra seeds as well.

Look forward to hearing how the carrots do going on to summer. Considered it but wasn’t sure if they could take the heat.

2ManyGuns

Revolver's, get one, shoot the snot out of it!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    Planted more green bush beans and zucchini. Transplanted some volunteer tomato plants into cups to gain in size before final planting. I also side-dressed some of the potatoes and corn with 13-13-13. I am trying an experiment, I had about a dozen volunteer purple hull peas sprout, so I am attempting to transplant them into containers, no loss if they die, just some time.

A second experiment is the micro hugelkultur project, a big name for a simple thing. Last season, I composted the larger stalks, and vines in such a way so that they did not decompose completely. I am using this material at the bottom of 2.5-gallon nursery pots, about 8 inches in depth, in order to maintain moisture and ensure drainage. It should also provide nutrients as it continues to decay in the container. I will see how things fair.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2021
    Victoria, TX
    The okra that I plant is from seed that has been passed around over three generations. Story goes that my FIL moved to Houma, LA in around 1956-7. He put in a garden and a neighbor gave him some okra seed. It grows like a tree and the pods will get to be a foot long and still tender. His FIL (who lived in N. LA) took some of the seed back to his garden and grew it thereafter... In 1976 when #1 wife and I got married we got some seed from him and brought it to S. Texas... I've grown it ever since. Now my #1 son grows it as well. The nearest I've seen to that strain commercially is called Cow Horn.

Two years ago #1 son had a single plant that lasted into winter. The base of the stalk was as big around as my leg. He had cut it off after it got too high to pick and it put out multiple stalks that produced into the winter. He had to dig the stump out with a grubbing hoe.

Pretty impressive stuff. I'll save a bunch of seed this year.

All my plants are up and doing well as long as I keep the water on. We've had maybe 3" rain for the year... Contrast that to last year when we'd had 30" by now...

Alan

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    The okra that I plant is from seed that has been passed around over three generations. Story goes that my FIL moved to Houma, LA in around 1956-7. He put in a garden and a neighbor gave him some okra seed. It grows like a tree and the pods will get to be a foot long and still tender. His FIL (who lived in N. LA) took some of the seed back to his garden and grew it thereafter... In 1976 when #1 wife and I got married we got some seed from him and brought it to S. Texas... I've grown it ever since. Now my #1 son grows it as well. The nearest I've seen to that strain commercially is called Cow Horn.

Two years ago #1 son had a single plant that lasted into winter. The base of the stalk was as big around as my leg. He had cut it off after it got too high to pick and it put out multiple stalks that produced into the winter. He had to dig the stump out with a grubbing hoe.

Pretty impressive stuff. I'll save a bunch of seed this year.

All my plants are up and doing well as long as I keep the water on. We've had maybe 3" rain for the year... Contrast that to last year when we'd had 30" by now...

Alan
    Would be interesting to see how it grows in East Texas!

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    My Man! We’re a pepper planting clan as well. Did habaneros vs ghost though.
    I'm planning on getting some of those as well. plus poblanos, and serranos, along with whatever hot peppers I can find.

I'm planning on making homemade salsa again this year. So most of the garden is sort of centered around that. Going to try my hand at pickling this year too, so cucumbers were planted as well.

Another reason is for chili next winter that I make. I would like to use home-grown peppers instead of store bought ones this year. And I'd like to try out drying some for grinding up for seasonings.

c.tiberius

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 28, 2015
    Just about done planting.
    We keep it simple :
    2 types of green beans
    Cucumbers (mostly for pickles)
    Tomatoes (pickling and fresh)
    Cabbage (Romanian style sauerkraut)
    Radishes
    Garlic
    Onions
    Dill
    Parsley is still nice and healthy from last year
    Cilantro
    Some corn
    And a bunch of potatoes.
    I’m still waiting on my peppers and eggplants to grow a bit more before I transplant them outside .
    I started the seeds kind of late this year.
    Hoping for a good year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom