• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 10-96inTexas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2022
    Cooterville
    I like having a garden but I have downsized over the last couple of years from 6 12' rows to a 8' x 3' raised bed to these buckets. We just like a few fresh tomatoes and jalapenos (my wife likes squash) and this serves us well. Not really a garden but it's something to do.

Attachments

• 20220404_140712.jpg
      20220404_140712.jpg
      1.1 MB · Views: 48
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2021
    Victoria, TX
    One year, many years ago(Spring 1982), I had a hot shot rig and was running all the time. One afternoon and night I disced the 2 acre plot ran the furrower over it and broadcast every seed I had into the furrows in no particular order. Then I dragged a chain over it with the tractor. I got 4 hours sleep and hit the road again. I didn't look at it again until about May (unfortunately I had lots of free time by then. The oilfield is funny like that, cept it wasn't funny....). Best garden I ever grew. I'd carry a couple of five gallon buckets out there and start picking. The sticker burs and buffle grass was thigh high but down in there were all the vegetables I could haul out of there. We canned, froze, ate and gave away as much as we could and still didn't get it all. The okra was phenomenal. When I disced it the next year and planted an okra forrest came up. A strip about 30 feet wide and 150 feet long of okra.

Hasn't been anything like that since...

Alan

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Since I already have them planted, I think the easiest way would be for me to buy more seeds and half my distances on the mounds.

Corn really doesn’t pollinate very easily. These are my rows, just starting to come up.

b1fe42d3b98c7dd1e83c99e77bbbce45.jpg

It’s a little dense in the rows, had a young nephew helping, lol. But the more you have, it gives you some room to spread them a little more. We always leave just enough room to get between. And it’s often better to do kind of a square pattern if possible so they are more clustered for pollination. If that makes sense.

We do enough room between the rows to harvest them, but that’s about it. These are 3’ apart. We usually go a little closer, but planted a lot more this year.

FNORD

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    HOUSTON
    The okra that I plant is from seed that has been passed around over three generations. Story goes that my FIL moved to Houma, LA in around 1956-7. He put in a garden and a neighbor gave him some okra seed. It grows like a tree and the pods will get to be a foot long and still tender. His FIL (who lived in N. LA) took some of the seed back to his garden and grew it thereafter... In 1976 when #1 wife and I got married we got some seed from him and brought it to S. Texas... I've grown it ever since. Now my #1 son grows it as well. The nearest I've seen to that strain commercially is called Cow Horn.

Two years ago #1 son had a single plant that lasted into winter. The base of the stalk was as big around as my leg. He had cut it off after it got too high to pick and it put out multiple stalks that produced into the winter. He had to dig the stump out with a grubbing hoe.

Pretty impressive stuff. I'll save a bunch of seed this year.

All my plants are up and doing well as long as I keep the water on. We've had maybe 3" rain for the year... Contrast that to last year when we'd had 30" by now...

Alan

It’s been a coon’s age since I’ve thought about cow horn okra.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I like having a garden but I have downsized over the last couple of years from 6 12' rows to a 8' x 3' raised bed to these buckets. We just like a few fresh tomatoes and jalapenos (my wife likes squash) and this serves us well. Not really a garden but it's something to do.
    Pretty close to the size of containers I'm using. I planted the tomato plants in five gallon buckets. Did them that way last year, but only did two, so I'm doing four this year.

I'll follow up with some pictures tomorrow.

Katydid1984

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2021
    Hunt County
    Andrew bought me a greenhouse set up for the back patio once its built. I'm going to do a raised garden in there; right now, I have dill, emerald basil, rosemary (the rats ate most of it last year) and candy cane peppers. Hoping to grow some more veggies and herbs in my little greenhouse that will be protected.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Still fighting to keep my tomato’s alive. Put WAY to much of the composted hay in with them and they are getting hit hard by the over fertilization. All the wind beating them to death lately hasn’t helped either.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Still fighting to keep my tomato’s alive. Put WAY to much of the composted hay in with them and they are getting hit hard by the over fertilization. All the wind beating them to death lately hasn’t helped either.
    My tomato plants already have small blooms on them, as well as couple of the pepper plants. I just finished planting more okra and onions today.

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    I’ve had rogue tomatoes start growing from waste thrown into a compost pile. Not sure what the problem could be, but probably not too much compost, as long as everything is organic.

Did you use a lot of chemical fertilizers?

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I’ve had rogue tomatoes start growing from waste thrown into a compost pile. Not sure what the problem could be, but probably not too much compost, as long as everything is organic.

Did you use a lot of chemical fertilizers?

Nope. Nothing but hay and cow manure that had been piled up for the last 6 months.

Daily watering keeps them hanging on, but it the soil dries at all they immediately start to curl. Lost one of the 6 early on. Got another that is really borderline, and the last 4 look bad but the lower leaves hold a healthy appearance as long as they remain constantly watered.

Only other idea is that they were diseased when purchased.

Also, no herbicides have been used that could have washed or been carried to them.

Top Bottom