• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • popsgarland

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2011
    DFW area
    I'm trying for some tomatoes but not having much luck. As you can see by my picture.

279085130_503939811515963_2120039068839938059_n.jpg
    Gun Zone Deals

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Spent yesterday evening pulling bull nettle out of the corn. Will be back at it again this evening.

Apparently it’s been lurking and waiting for a freshly filled surface to attack. Hate that crap.

c.tiberius

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 28, 2015
    Nice garden!

How is that G20 treating you?

:) ha, love it, i found a good load for it and I’ve been shooting it a lot.
    Back on thread, this garden is taken care of both me and my father in law, couple of hours every day ,
    It’s been good until now but in the last 2-3 days the mosquitos are getting on my nerves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FNORD

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    HOUSTON
    Nope. Nothing but hay and cow manure that had been piled up for the last 6 months.

Daily watering keeps them hanging on, but it the soil dries at all they immediately start to curl. Lost one of the 6 early on. Got another that is really borderline, and the last 4 look bad but the lower leaves hold a healthy appearance as long as they remain constantly watered.

Only other idea is that they were diseased when purchased.

Also, no herbicides have been used that could have washed or been carried to them.
    I have only recently been acquainted with Graze On.

Mightn’t that be related?

FNORD

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    HOUSTON
    Try moving them to a different location first, if they are sticking above ground 6-8 inches now, clip off the lower leaves, plant about 4 inches deeper, the little "hairs" on the stalk will become new roots if they survive. ALSO, once your plants become 2 ft. tall or so, and you began to prune them, take some of the longer trimmings, remove at least 4 inches of the leaves for a clean stem, dig a small hole to plant these trimmed pieces in. Water well, you should get new plants from these stems to create FREE plants and extend your harvest. I've had a 90% success rate with this method!

Do you remove stems besides the suckers?

FNORD

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    HOUSTON
    Heirlooms or hybrid tomato’s? I’ve had mixed success with heirlooms.
    Heirlooms.

Has anyone tried Winsall tomatoes?

We grew them in Beaumont gumbo that makes Houston gumbo look like loam. The soil was augmented with sand and manure.

The largest were 3 pounders but mostly 1-2 pounders.

They were delicious and my favorite of the 5-7 varieties we grew.

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    Decided to try out some Miracle-Gro fertilizer this year on my garden plants. Just mixed up it with the water and poured it onto the soil. Easy peasy!

I know a lot of folks use chemical fertilizer but I’d advise against it long term. It is very hard on your soil and while it will feed your plants, it will wreak havoc on the ground.

Look at the organic options like compost or products from Medina or Fox Farm. Both companies make excellent stuff.

And if you really want good plants, fish compost, bat guano and worm castings can’t be beat! And sprinkle
    Epsom salt around the tomatoes once they are established.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I know a lot of folks use chemical fertilizer but I’d advise against it long term. It is very hard on your soil and while it will feed your plants, it will wreak havoc on the ground.

Look at the organic options like compost or products from Medina or Fox Farm. Both companies make excellent stuff.

And if you really want good plants, fish compost, bat guano and worm castings can’t be beat! And sprinkle
    Epsom salt around the tomatoes once they are established.
    Upside is, most all of my garden vegetables are in containers.

Top Bottom