• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    Haven't seen a golf snake in a while due to drought but I saw a 4' copperhead in very shallow but clear water (narrow creek with overgrowth) today. Did not stop to take a pic.
    Definitely not trying to be a dick, but are you sure it was a copperhead? They don’t normally get that large/long. But I’m not saying they can’t.

I killed one last night that was just shy of 2 feet long, and I thought that was a big one. It was coming straight at me, very aggressively, and I fortunately had my pistol with rat shot to take care of it.

It was about 10 o’clock at night, and I actually heard it coming toward me, rustling through the pine needles, and hit it with a spotlight, and then it started toward me even more aggressively. The smaller ones usually freeze when I hit them with the spotlight, but not this one!

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Definitely not trying to be a dick, but are you sure it was a copperhead? They don’t normally get that large/long. But I’m not saying they can’t.

I killed one last night that was just shy of 2 feet long, and I thought that was a big one. It was coming straight at me, very aggressively, and I fortunately had my pistol with rat shot to take care of it.

It was about 10 o’clock at night, and I actually heard it coming toward me, rustling through the pine needles, and hit it with a spotlight, and then it started toward me even more aggressively. The smaller ones usually freeze when I hit them with the spotlight, but not this one!

Damn. Every copperhead I've encountered at night freezes when you shine a light on them. They move like mad when its dark tho.

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    The latest.

Attachments

• 1DD31B9E-BFA2-4D68-8491-230954E9C64E.jpeg
      1DD31B9E-BFA2-4D68-8491-230954E9C64E.jpeg
      500.6 KB · Views: 59
    Reactions: gll

FNORD

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    HOUSTON
    In Beaumont and around Saratoga and Batson, the copperheads were 2 to 2-1/2 feet at the biggest and thick like cottonmouths. Around Conroe they were much smaller and thin. None were aggressive. Moccasins, however, up to 3 feet and aggressive.

I wonder if aggressivity has increased. Now I’ve seen aggressive garter snakes. The copperheads described here would not enhance my cool.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    My ridgeback is going crazy hunting moles. She lowers her head to the ground and intently listens. Then, she pounces on them and hurriedly digs like she has gone nuts! She has killed two in the last few days - that I know of.

Not reptilian, but certainly strange-looking critters!
    Where in Texas, do “moles” exist ? I’ve seen lots of prairie dogs, nutria, rats, etc. but never a “mole”.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Where in Texas, do “moles” exist ? I’ve seen lots of prairie dogs, nutria, rats, etc. but never a “mole”.

Have tonnes of the little bastards in our yard. They love digging and leaving behind their tunnels and exit holes. Neighbor's dog (natural hunter) digs the furry blind little bastards out and kills 'em. That dog also has a nose for finding and dispatching venomous snakes - so far this year he's lead to the demise of half a dozen coral snakes and a few more copperheads than that. Last week I was talking to his owners, they said they were out moving something in their new shop, saw the dog shaking his head whipping something around, went over to discover he was whipping a coral snake back & forth. Snake didn't survive that encounter. 95lb Belgian Malinois

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    Have tonnes of the little bastards in our yard. They love digging and leaving behind their tunnels and exit holes. Neighbor's dog (natural hunter) digs the furry blind little bastards out and kills 'em. That dog also has a nose for finding and dispatching venomous snakes - so far this year he's lead to the demise of half a dozen coral snakes and a few more copperheads than that. Last week I was talking to his owners, they said they were out moving something in their new shop, saw the dog shaking his head whipping something around, went over to discover he was whipping a coral snake back & forth. Snake didn't survive that encounter. 95lb Belgian Malinois

So all that is in or near Montgomery County ?

Top Bottom