• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    When I went to check my mailbox there was a big fat Cottonmouth about 7/8' lying in the front ditch.

I thought about dispatching it, but was talked out of it...it was just lying there minding it's own business and I would've felt bad about killing it...hope I don't regret my decision.
    DK Firearms

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    When I went to check my mailbox there was a big fat Cottonmouth about 7/8' lying in the front ditch. I thought about dispatching it, but was talked out of it...it was just lying there minding it's own business and I would've felt bad about killing it...hope I don't regret my decision.

If it was 7-8 ‘ long, it wasn’t a Cotton Mouth.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    When I went to check my mailbox there was a big fat Cottonmouth about 7/8' lying in the front ditch.

I thought about dispatching it, but was talked out of it...it was just lying there minding it's own business and I would've felt bad about killing it...hope I don't regret my decision.

If it was 7-8 ‘ long, it wasn’t a Cotton Mouth.

Yeah, a cottonmouth that big would be record size. Probably a big fat rat snake - they get mistaken a lot for them. Or maybe a BIG watersnake.

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    A87EC2D7-36BD-475F-854F-933790881FDB.jpeg

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia

Zoo or pet shop that keeps "hots" for sale or display? We have a shop close to us, next door to the gym I go to that has these, along with a few other African vipers / Rhino vipers. Definitely NOT something I want to come across while out walking my dog. I think @Hoji mentioned he helped to remove one of these that had gotten up under someone's house.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Walking the dog earlier - we encountered *two* copperheads in the same area I saw the one last night. Dog likes to go pee / poop IN the damn bushes, but I don't let her right now because of the high likelihood of snake encounters. I'm standing there trying to get her to just pop a squat on the grass, when I catch movement. Snake was just cruising along. Got video / pix of it - looks like the same one from last night.

A few minutes watching that snake, we walk more toward the house. Dog still didn't piss or poop, also didn't react to the presence of the snake. Take a few steps - catch movement again. Another copperhead following the first. This one was bigger. Got some video / pix of that one too. Still no reaction from the dog.

Finished our walk, and got her to do her business finally without further encounters. I guess they live up to the old wives' tale of being found in pairs. Makes me wonder if we just didn't see the 2nd snake last night?

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge

7-8’ was either a Texas rat snake, a western indigo snake or someone’s exotic that got loose.

If it was an indigo snake and you had killed it and posted pics, you could very well find yourself getting a visit from TPWD and some hefty fines as they are listed as protected/ threatened in Texas.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Zoo or pet shop that keeps "hots" for sale or display? We have a shop close to us, next door to the gym I go to that has these, along with a few other African vipers / Rhino vipers. Definitely NOT something I want to come across while out walking my dog. I think @Hoji mentioned he helped to remove one of these that had gotten up under someone's house.
    Yep. That was quite the shock, lol. Glad it was cold outside when I removed it.

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    Cameron Zoo in Waco.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    Sorry for my poorly worded post regarding the Cottonmouth.

It was 7/8' away from my mail box.

It was probably 2.5 long...if that, quite fat for a Cottonmouth.

I know my venomous snakes and quite a few of the non-venomous.

Again, sorry for leaving out the needed detail to prevent miscommunication...my fault...

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    With apologies in advance to our resident fact-checker, a 7/8' Cottonmouth would be 10.5" long.

That's my mom, in a nutshell. Deathly afraid of all snakes. She won't visit us in Texas because of the snakes. She hardly visits anywhere outside of the NW corner of Oregon where venomous snakes are more or less eradicated. You can tell the size of the snake by the volume and duration of her scream. A 10 inch snake if you listen to her, would be the size of an adult python. An actual big snake like a 6' rat snake - she'd say it was like the anaconda from Anaconda. I think she'd literally have a heart attack and die if she saw a real anaconda in person.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    I have a fairly large yard, lots of trees/bushes and every year I get 3-5 Cottonmouths and 2-3 Coral snakes and a number of other harmless snakes.

No Rattlers or Copperheads I'm happy to say.

When it's convenient and it wasn't yesterday as it was raining pretty hard when I checked the mail. But, if it's convenient, I usually pick them up with some long handled tongs (doesn't injure them) and walk way back of my yard into a very big field with a ditch usually filled with water. I set them down next to the ditch and away I go.

I did this last year only to have what appeared to be the one I'd transported out of my yard comfortably sunning on my deck. I tried to chase him away with a hoe, but he went under the deck. An hour later he was back on top of the deck in almost the same spot.

This time I wasn't fking around - I chased him off the deck and my leetle trusty .410 pump corrected his illegal immigration...

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    I have a fairly large yard, lots of trees/bushes and every year I get 3-5 Cottonmouths and 2-3 Coral snakes and a number of other harmless snakes.

No Rattlers or Copperheads I'm happy to say.

When it's convenient and it wasn't yesterday as it was raining pretty hard when I checked the mail. But, if it's convenient, I usually pick them up with some long handled tongs (doesn't injure them) and walk way back of my yard into a very big field with a ditch usually filled with water. I set them down next to the ditch and away I go.

I did this last year only to have what appeared to be the one I'd transported out of my yard comfortably sunning on my deck. I tried to chase him away with a hoe, but he went under the deck. An hour later he was back on top of the deck in almost the same spot.

This time I wasn't fking around - I chased him off the deck and my leetle trusty .410 pump corrected his illegal immigration...
    Interesting that you see so many coral snakes.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    oldag,

Odd thing about the coral snakes...they're often very curious.

A couple of years ago, I was trimming a hedge when I noticed a Coral snake about 45/50' from me making a beeline to me.

He didn't act aggressive so much as curious.

I got my tongs, picked him up and gently put him over the fence, never to be seen again.

Except for Cottonmouths, who're are usually drab in color, I find most snakes exceptionally beautiful in color.

Top Bottom